The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

jackx

I have not been up to the task of blogging as some of you know i lost my mother suddenly 2 weeks ago. This has/was the hardest situation I have had to come to terms with and still not fully understanding all the personal logistics. Talking to most who have gone through this say it will take time which I am sure it will, but I lost my #1 fan and nothing can replace that. It was my mom who brought me fishing, camping and everything outdoorsy. You can say she single handedly nurtured the love of the outdoors in me. So to say I have my hands full is an understatement. Riding was therapy initially but now I have much to deal with being an only child. I do still have my dad and uncles in the area to help. When your not prepared for something like this, you learn quickly how much there is to do. To say 2020 can't get over any quicker is an understatement. Its been 5 days off the bike and as a family we took a breather down at wildwood as we had that already booked. It was a nice sidetrack and glad we got away, it helped. Hopefully i can get back on track soon and not loose what i started back in the spring.

View attachment 140423View attachment 140424
Love you always!!!

Matt, I am so very sorry for you, your Dad and your family that your Mom has passed.
I have not gone through that myself so I cannot possibly imagine the depths of such a loss. Please accept my sincerest condolences.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Friend of mine sent me this shot cica 1996ish. It when @pedals and I first started dating. I remember this pic, we were riding Glenn Park when it was a mostly know as xc park. You the whole back side/other side of the mountian was open space also before they developed it back around 2000. Then the park was neglected for a bit until that shop opened at the end of the street. Thats when they started the DH runs not that there wasn't any before but most of those would be poorly built and become washed out in a year.
Screenshot_20201016-194056_Messages.jpg

These Hecklers were our trail/park bikes back then lol. See the full circle. We actually both won mount snow DH nationals in sport class that year. It was Patty's first race and it was 2nd year that that course went off ski trails like years past and instead across into the woods. I told her to skip beginner's race as that course missed all the fun stuff and was shorter. She won her race dominatly and I won barely. As you can see the triple crown zokes Jr T fork on my bike. The following year we both bought super8s and raced every east coast race including 7 springs. Good times and we loved every bit of the travel camping and sleazy motels. Wouldn't change a thing, but the babies came and DHING was not a thing. We did keep the biking a thing though and it is pretty much what we design most get aways around. Still a thing and happy to have her to enjoy that thing together after all these years.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I will just drop this here
Screenshot_20201110-065409_Sober Time.jpg

Yup 2 years

I promise I will pick this back up, when mom passed unexpectedly, well it was a real kick in the nuts to say the least. I hope to bring some new adventures and my opinions on the new SS. As I mentioned this is the first of 3 that I am gonna try out. For those who weren't following along on the SS thread, I wasn't planning on a Ti vassago frame but the lead time kept falling further away and I think Tom at Vassago got tired of my pestering. So he offered the Optimus or Radimus at the Verhauen price. I havent owned personally a Ti frame since my '96 litespeed Obed. Really looking forward to see how this rides.
20201109_174924.jpg

Pretty funny how things line up, when I got my Ripmo they called it something red, well to me its orange. My wives bike is orange. My wives hardtail is Ti and so now is mine. This was not by design but now when we show up we will look like that couple who wear matching clothes 🤪

We rode Sterling last week and if you haven't gone I highly recommend that you do. Super fun and outstanding trails by those amazing trail crew up north.
20201107_122712.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Complete kind of.
Backordered Bars were shipped yesterday, same as in pic but carbon.
I won't have my 20t profile racing freewheel until the end of the month. Pulled the 21t off wives SS. Then the 18t showed today. Think I will leave the 21t for a long day at rattling creek. Otherwise only obstacle I had at the last minute was a post spaceron the front brake. No luck at Martys so called Ride shop and luck would have it that he had one. Lots of driveway up and downs for small adjustments. Ready for some dirt now!
20201112_172607.jpg
20201112_172345.jpg
20201112_172317.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Complete kind of.
Backordered Bars were shipped yesterday, same as in pic but carbon.
I won't have my 20t profile racing freewheel until the end of the month. Pulled the 21t off wives SS. Then the 18t showed today. Think I will leave the 21t for a long day at rattling creek. Otherwise only obstacle I had at the last minute was a post spaceron the front brake. No luck at Martys so called Ride shop and luck would have it that he had one. Lots of driveway up and downs for small adjustments. Ready for some dirt now!
View attachment 143201View attachment 143202View attachment 143203
Is this picture a weird size?

those tires look skinny for a fat bike 🤔

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Towed @The Kalmyk and his buddy around Stephen's early this morning. Wasn't sure how well I would respond after yesterday's adventure at rattling creek, but I felt pretty good. Went to bed early enough last night to recoup myself. Took the boys right over to HT to climb which with the new SS being a bit heavier then my misfit i was curious if I could nail it bottom to top. It was a lay up.

Whats to say about the new ride, still adjusting and getting a feel for it. What I can say the comfort level was much better then yesterday and I suppose tomorrow will be better then today.
To my surprise yesterday the bike felt harsh so this morning I dropped psi on my tires. Wondering if my Guage is misreading because tire feel was harding then I am used to. Totally different bike today with a much better on the hits. So you see little tweaks can make drastic changes. Speaking of changes the tire choice is just plain wrong. I literally could lose a pound of rotational weight by swapping the 2.6 dissector x 2.6 assegia to something a little more forgiving. Overall my impressions on fit, build and ride have been pretty solid so far.

Great weekend!
20201114_095934.jpg
20201114_150500.jpg
Screenshot_20201115-101519.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm so lame - made the call around 10 last night to go to stephens and didn't give Matt a heads-up,
so that cost me a Spence sighting too.

I did get to meet @roc

1605465724116.png

May need to make Tuesday night to make up for it. They need a caboose anyway.

JDurk

Towed @The Kalmyk and his buddy around Stephen's early this morning. Wasn't sure how well I would respond after yesterday's adventure at rattling creek, but I felt pretty good. Went to bed early enough last night to recoup myself. Took the boys right over to HT to climb which with the new SS being a bit heavier then my misfit i was curious if I could nail it bottom to top. It was a lay up.

Whats to say about the new ride, still adjusting and getting a feel for it. What I can say the comfort level was much better then yesterday and I suppose tomorrow will be better then today.
To my surprise yesterday the bike felt harsh so this morning I dropped psi on my tires. Wondering if my Guage is misreading because tire feel was harding then I am used to. Totally different bike today with a much better on the hits. So you see little tweaks can make drastic changes. Speaking of changes the tire choice is just plain wrong. I literally could lose a pound of rotational weight by swapping the 2.6 dissector x 2.6 assegia to something a little more forgiving. Overall my impressions on fit, build and ride have been pretty solid so far.

Great weekend!View attachment 143364View attachment 143365View attachment 143367
I run Ardent 2.4 front and rear on my rigid SS. Pressure range is 18-20psi frt, 20-22psi rear. Can definitely feel the difference between each high and low. 230lb+ fat dude rider.

serviceguy

Great weekend!View attachment 143364View attachment 143365View attachment 143367
Sick bike! How's that saddle working? Is it a Tioga Spyder? I've always been intrigued by those but never to the point of pulling the trigger on one.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Last nights Tuesdays fight club ride moved into the beginning of the death March season. To be clear it was me that fell into survival mode as soon as we hit orange climb back into deer park. All summer long I rode everyday but nothing really over 12 miles at a clip. Once I start putting over that my body tells me your not use to this. We rolled Stephens part of the leg at a pretty solid pace non stop which I need to adjust if death March is in order. I was conscious not to burn the matches on climbs in stephens but definitely need to dial it back regardless. I really wish we had creative representative for deer park who has the vision to create a better climb back into deer park like whats going on at Stephens. The old blown out fire road that is the orange trail is just too much at some pitches especially with a SS.

Speaking of SS's last night was the first time I felt one and dialed. I got my SQ Lab carbon bars and grips installed, raised my stack 5mm. My first ride I thought the bike was harsh but realized it was due to tire pressure. Also thought last night the bike really felt compliant compared to my old misfit as it should being Ti vs AL. The main difference is probably about 5 lbs of girth with having suspension fork, but mainly terrible choice of tires. I already ordered rekon 2.6 and rekon race 2.4 which will easily be over a pound saved.
Otherwise Vassago fits real well. I will do a bike check once I get my final pieces together.

Live every day like its your last ✌

Last edited:
Top Bottom