The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

You know i was just about to pull the plug on this blog just this weekend but texting with my friend yesterday evening changed that. You see this was someone who always showed up to ride and boy did we throw down some epic SS and road rides. Anyhow he moved to pursue building a career in the agricultural world. In one text he stated something very clear that hit me. He said i inspired him to get back on the bike from reading through my blog. More specifically a SS :) I needed the same push also though it was not from reading but watching the YouTube videos, mainly BKXC and Seth's then I started collecting more to follow. It eventually got me of the couch watching and instead doing. Sometimes just a small inspiration is all that's needed and after another bout with addiction I knew i needed to right that ship in the first year and to get back to what really makes me happy, bikes, the people who ride bikes and all the places to go ride bikes.
weekend in pics
saturday stephens super SS saturday
20200829_075634.jpg

sunday port jervis follies with Dawn & Joe
20200830_102001.jpg
20200830_120446.jpg
20200830_132747.jpg

Screenshot_20200831-074845.jpg

Screenshot_20200831-074806.jpg
Screenshot_20200831-074738.jpg

20200831_060249.jpg

Monday is all right ✌

Been down that hole, have had a few email exchanges. I am pretty much in favor with the new Vassago and pretty happy with the communication so far.
Excellent. Had some email exchanges with Tom back before I purchased my IndyFab. All Vassago's are now Boost and I was looking to do a direct swap of parts I already had on a cracked SIR9. He wasn't building custom frames. Niner offered me crash replacement frame because it was out of warranty, and new SIR9 design that also moved to Boost. So I.F. was the direction I went.

Been down that hole, have had a few email exchanges. I am pretty much in favor with the new Vassago and pretty happy with the communication so far.

that’s awesome. I was ready to pull the trigger on one a couple months ago but couldn’t get a response to a couple questions I had. Went with another brand.

SS talk
Yes I was in favor of the numbers on Vassago over the Chumba though these are 2 very close in numbers, variwall steel tubes and the most important number is $. The money between the 2 gets me a fork with the Vassago. Chumba looks like a great bike, but their steel frame starts at Vassago Ti price. Its awesome to see both these company's back and building in house. If i didn't care much about USA made that Honzo is pretty hard to beat for the money.

I think a day off is in order. Today I just wasnt feeling it. Got about 3 miles in and in between that 3 miles did some trail improvements. Then I decided since I am in between jobs I will just go back home and grab the trailbuilders pack. Headed back to the park, confusing the crap out of Ollie. On my way in passed a dude in white pick up and blue pivot, pulled to side and did the wave. Got to the lot got out and white PU comes back to ask a question, it was my man Wilee. Haven't seen him in bit so was good to catch up. We always have great conversations and talk about our kids. Talked about meeting for a ride and said our goodbyes. Thats good man right there.

Loaded up what I needed and off to take care of some needful in the park. I always feel like if I don't take a lead it will never get done. I somehow have to figure out how I can get an actual legit TM in this park so I can bring in other people to help with the needful. I really would like to set up a day of weekly TMs and pick a trail and have at it. For 20 years there's been areas that need addressing to avoid heavy brush back and eroded sections besides the need to open sightlines as the growth is closing in on many trails. I was pretty satisfied with the half a day I was able to give back to the park even if it was just me and ollie.

Just like Wilee, my old neighbor who teaches up here but lives in sea isles city now is back and shot me a pic of a sign in Stephen's. I told him welcome home fellow SS dude. 2 locals I havent seen show up on same day. Can't wait to hook up and ride with these guys.

Life is good ✌

So no ride today or yesterday and Wednesday's ride was cut short due to full on panic attack like I have mentioned earlier. When these reach a feverous outbreak, it saps everything out of you. You get the feeling of a hangover. This was a horrible way to start a big day.

Wednesday I started this wedding barn job where I need to install 32 custom windows in and physically its kicking my ass. I am waking up to ride but feeling like I already put in the extra miles. Again I woke this morning ready to ride mentally but physically knew its better I don't. I am also breaking my rule of not working weekends as the added pressure to have this ready for wedding event next weekend.
20200902_160451.jpg

Hopefully I can collect myself for Sunday and take a day trip to either bike park or ride.
Before being back at it Monday.

On a brighter note i finally moved off the hovering 220 lb mark that I surrounded for the past month. I stepped on the scale yesterday to 214 to my surprise, added some intermittent fasting since I wasn't riding which seems to have worked. Whats my goal? Not to be that 275 lb guy ever again, geez! Its a good thing I hung onto those pants and shorts from years ago. It has occurred to me that i am hoarder of clothes. After going through bags and storage bins I have way more clothes then I will ever need. So I put down on my list, yes this is a new thing for me a list, to start to purge my clothing. Christ just bike T shirts alone will take a week. But i am thankful for the pants selection.

Have a great weekend everyone✌

Weekend wrapper

So as i said i wouldn't do i done.
I worked all weekend which includes today also.
I did get out for a few hours yesterday morning at mahlon. I've neglected mahlon on my rotation for a few years and since hitting it the last few rides much has changed. Riding out from the P&R has been always my go to and when tiger blood was first laid down I thought it was the stupidest trail ever. 1 part probably not in shape and 2nd part rigid SS. Well yesterday I went in after talking with another rider who said dont bother if you dont have pads. Challenge excepted :)
Half way into this and stopping to allow boinggers to pass through, it occured to me that this trail flows better in the other direction. Yes i rode it SS and rigid and honestly only a few sections were clearly get off and walk. I sessioned a few that held me up until I was successful. I actually enjoyed the challenge and redo type riding sometimes instead of the grinding mileage collection. All in all tiger blood is enough of a trail to work the skills and work up a decent sweat. I got bring back that mahlon love in my rotation again, such a great park.
Screenshot_20200907-080506.jpg

Today i got up and rolled a regular loop at stephens. Couple trees down, one lower maze and another on miesterberger.
Otherwise park is rolling fast and I felt pretty damn good for a couple days in a row off. Need to get the helmet light mount on as darkness is much longer now.
Screenshot_20200907-080425.jpg

I picked up my first part to the new SS build.
20200906_121715.jpg
Thanks @RyanP
Frame will be ordered towards end of the week. Carbon fat rim has been shipped finally so the 2017 9.9 Farley will be on the block. No the misfit will not be for sale, that stays in the family :)

Ok off to work i go, enjoy the unofficial last day of summer yo✌

Man tigers blood and Blackmagic are some of the best tech trails around. Do you know how to find the big rollers? Bring the Ripmo for those.

Done as in the window job, what a pane.
It really interfered with my regular life but the pay off was good. 32 windows in all but it doesn't sound like its the end. Client mentioned about doing mid fall.
We started high and worked our way down on each side.
20200902_160451.jpg

And the finished main side
20200907_155115.jpg

It was a pretty physical job, mainly a lot of bending, stretching and a boat load of ladder time had us pretty whipped at the end of each day. It mainly was my Cuz, my son and I and each day we got a little quicker with like anything else. Hit the target date and events can now open to capacity with a wedding on 9/11. I would not have survived 6 months ago if I hadn't lost the weight and been riding as regularly as I have been.

Speaking of riding I had strung together 3 days of no riding at the beginning of this job but have been on the regular daily again since Sunday. I was concerned that it may carry over because I was feeling a tad bit of burnout. That came and passed thank goodness. The rides this week have been short because I was short on time. So what do you do, haley toe on a SS :) but not just one but 2. My first run up today was in the dark with the typical 3 dabs and my second time up with some dusk light made my first dab free climb, hallelujah!

You may not agree but when i was out this morning it was all making sense to me. The daily rigid SSing helps improve my overall shredding both physically and mentally. I would say its the better crossover for training for competitive racing in enduro and DHing. Here are my assessments
1. I pretty much ride my SS now with saddle slammed. Which means 90% of the time i am standing. Builds that strength and muscles that you dont when pedaling seated. Adds to top to bottom runs at the parks.
2. Mashing hills while standing works your back, arms and core. Climb haley a couple times SS and you'll understand.
3. Rigid forces you to pick good lines, period.
4. Rigid forces you to have loose hands on your grips, essential for sherdding.
5. SSing builds big lungs and heart.
6. Dust off that SS and practice getting your sherd on :)

Seriously stoked to be moving forward on my new build order goes in tomorrow.

Top of Haley after second lap dab free climb✌
20200909_064758.jpg

Good stuff @mattybfat ! The façade of that place looks great with those windows. Glad you are SS'ing. I used to do that until recently once a week for some of the same reasons you stated. It was my hard/intense day, and the one I had the most fun in :)

Yesterday got to hook up with my old neighbor for a ride at stephens. It was good to hook back up with him. He now lives down in sea isles city but still teaches up here. So he travels back and forth. Stays up here then heads back at the end of the week. In the summers he life guards at the beach down there. Dude is 50 yrs old and is ripped like 20 yr old. I still put a beating on him because he's not in bike shape :) told him we can do this again weekly as he wants to get the legs and lungs back.
20200910_150157.jpg

Today i took my work crew up to creek, what a super day. Dirt was perfect and park felt like it was all ours. I kept my rubber planted and we got 14 runs in today. Really adventured all that we could. The old school stuff can be so over the top as i watched the boy hit the dirt (rock) twice. I am absolutely thrilled in my decision to buy the ripmo for trail and park. I have so much confidence in the bike and never feels like I need more. The DVO suspension is dialed and working flawlessly. Also 29" wheels never felt better then in the spicy steep chowder. I learning to not fall back in the steep but drive the front down. A learning curve from old school geo to modern geo. Great day in all was had and can't wait to hit the next park.
20200911_134541.jpg

Plan to try to ride somewhere tomorrow i havent, just not sure where yet. May shoot up to Scranton though would love to hit that tobyhanna trails system. I'll do some trail forking tonight.

Send it into the weekend everyone ✌
20200911_133338.jpg

I have not been up to the task of blogging as some of you know i lost my mother suddenly 2 weeks ago. This has/was the hardest situation I have had to come to terms with and still not fully understanding all the personal logistics. Talking to most who have gone through this say it will take time which I am sure it will, but I lost my #1 fan and nothing can replace that. It was my mom who brought me fishing, camping and everything outdoorsy. You can say she single handedly nurtured the love of the outdoors in me. So to say I have my hands full is an understatement. Riding was therapy initially but now I have much to deal with being an only child. I do still have my dad and uncles in the area to help. When your not prepared for something like this, you learn quickly how much there is to do. To say 2020 can't get over any quicker is an understatement. Its been 5 days off the bike and as a family we took a breather down at wildwood as we had that already booked. It was a nice sidetrack and glad we got away, it helped. Hopefully i can get back on track soon and not loose what i started back in the spring.

Screenshot_20200914-115803_Facebook(1).jpg
Screenshot_20200914-115845_Facebook.jpg

Love you always!!!

I have not been up to the task of blogging as some of you know i lost my mother suddenly 2 weeks ago. This has/was the hardest situation I have had to come to terms with and still not fully understanding all the personal logistics. Talking to most who have gone through this say it will take time which I am sure it will, but I lost my #1 fan and nothing can replace that. It was my mom who brought me fishing, camping and everything outdoorsy. You can say she single handedly nurtured the love of the outdoors in me. So to say I have my hands full is an understatement. Riding was therapy initially but now I have much to deal with being an only child. I do still have my dad and uncles in the area to help. When your not prepared for something like this, you learn quickly how much there is to do. To say 2020 can't get over any quicker is an understatement. Its been 5 days off the bike and as a family we took a breather down at wildwood as we had that already booked. It was a nice sidetrack and glad we got away, it helped. Hopefully i can get back on track soon and not loose what i started back in the spring.

View attachment 140423View attachment 140424
Love you always!!!
My condolences matty

Love you always!!!
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Love you always!!!

Sorry for your loss. Our deepest condolences to your family. 🙏😇

Sorry for your loss Matty. You're right, there is so much to stuff to deal with when you lose a parent, that's not even related to the accual loss " of " the parent. It just plain sucks. Been in your position myself, and yeah, it gets easier as time moves on.

Back
Top Bottom