The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

Awesome Matt! Glad to hear it is so much fun, and is still an honest workout - with that e-bike being pedal-assist and not one of those throttle-controlled bikes where no pedaling is required.

Your bike doesn't even look E.
So that makes it OK.
It's all about being out there and having fun and it sounds like you are for sure. Yay bikes!

I liked to kick the weatherman in the ballz, anyone else? I let the whole Saturday go because of the predicted washout and scheduled work. Lost of a great weekend day to the employee who gets paid for doing a mostly half ass job.

On to Sunday and dialing up the fun factor. Patty Pedals first ride on the E and to say she was a little tentative as what to suspect. After going over a few things, we were off from the Tranquility side. Yup another ride up in north, haha. This is silly that here we are not in mid-season form and rocking out at North. Normally we get permission and start out at the camp to cut down on the longer climbs.

So I mentioned that the Rise which I call Pepe because well its peppy and from Spain. Is not a full power ebike like my wives Levo which she now calls Belle, that's Blue Belle. And it showed as I hit "boost" on the first steep climb she was sitting in "trail" and right on my butt. P right away was amazed of the new found possibilities and answered her own question. You see her first question before hitting the trail was why do we want to be cheating ourselves out of a solid workout. As I type this she is snoring away on the couch lol.

When I tell you, you don't stop at the top of long steep hill or break flow to wait up for a slower rider. It's just constant forward motion, it's challenging shit you wouldn't normally do. I swear I'm not out to convert anyone, I'm just one dude who is having real fun in the woods. Seeing that big ass grin on Patty's face is just cake!

20220320_102111.jpg

2nd ride on Pepe and I'm feeling right at home, I can see why the Occams are selling well. Real nice east coast geometry.

20220321_192038.jpg

Got my new T in the mail today 😁

What's better then e riding with your spouse?
Emtbing with another couple!!!
20220321_175917.jpg
20220321_174900.jpg

3 or is it 4, lost count already as I'm still riding the pink cloud. We hooked up on a last minute call. You see I was supposed to do a pre work ride, charged the light, placed my clothes and set the alarm. Morning came and did not commit which I regretted as soon as I showed up on the job. Didn't think I would have the mojo to ride after work but this day was blazing sunny day that couldn't be passed up. Got home loaded the bike went in to change, asked P if she wanted to go. I assumed she'd say no but to my surprise "boom" she said yes.

I wondered if I made the mistake not ordering a full fat (that's ebike slang for full power ebike) but right now I am extremely pleased with this purchase. The bike is still poppy and nimble which I read is not the same with full fat enduro bro bikes. With just a couple rides in I am feeling one with this emazing machine!

20220321_173652.jpg

I was hoping to get a ride in yet the mood with dreary sky's and steady drizzle was in the basement. I had a funk going but fought through it by looking at the radar. 11am was the moment if I was gonna go. It was tough week trying to get a floor layed with much help from my man @Patrick, but some jobs leave you a little more burnt out then others.

Decided to ride deer park and ride my mid season form loop, but backwards. Yup you got that right, I would throw an occasional trail backwards but not the loop backwards. This includes Rouge trail also. It's just as fucking hard to do backwards if your wondering 😁. There was only one section and that was the steep shoot that I wasn't able to do. Always said there should be a go around for the folks who are timid to that shoot and also have a chance to ride Rouge in a reverse direction. Which brings up where I always also thought about a couple areas that could use a reroute in the park, but after today screw you anolog riders 🤣🤣🤣

I'm joking of course 🙃 but ebike does keep it challenging but with a nice Big Ass Grin to go along with it. You still need to put in the work and use your skill. Choosing a solid line on the loose steep technical climb is really important like any other bike.

This Orbea is a real solid bike, it does everything well and haven't found anything yet it doesn't do well. I learned when hitting the long Rock garden its best to be in the boost mode to help push the technical. It's been pretty fun and figuring out assistance mode to choose where.
Also helps when your legs start to feel heavy you can just boost your way back to the car.

20220326_121833.jpg
20220326_114008.jpg
Screenshot_20220326-150341_Strava.jpg

I was hoping to get a ride in yet the mood with dreary sky's and steady drizzle was in the basement. I had a funk going but fought through it by looking at the radar. 11am was the moment if I was gonna go. It was tough week trying to get a floor layed with much help from my man @Patrick, but some jobs leave you a little more burnt out then others.

Decided to ride deer park and ride my mid season form loop, but backwards. Yup you got that right, I would throw an occasional trail backwards but not the loop backwards. This includes Rouge trail also. It's just as fucking hard to do backwards if your wondering 😁. There was only one section and that was the steep shoot that I wasn't able to do. Always said there should be a go around for the folks who are timid to that shoot and also have a chance to ride Rouge in a reverse direction. Which brings up where I always also thought about a couple areas that could use a reroute in the park, but after today screw you anolog riders 🤣🤣🤣

I'm joking of course 🙃 but ebike does keep it challenging but with a nice Big Ass Grin to go along with it. You still need to put in the work and use your skill. Choosing a solid line on the loose steep technical climb is really important like any other bike.

This Orbea is a real solid bike, it does everything well and haven't found anything yet it doesn't do well. I learned when hitting the long Rock garden its best to be in the boost mode to help push the technical. It's been pretty fun and figuring out assistance mode to choose where.
Also helps when your legs start to feel heavy you can just boost your way back to the car.

View attachment 181654View attachment 181655View attachment 181656
Nice. You have a new follower on Strava. I was going to hit Wiss early but the forecast made me stay close to home. Should have just went.

So as I posted Saturday I covered a lot of deer park and was delighted to see the park was not littered with dead falls. Had one very notable one on barberry and a couple small ones on the secondary trails. There is still one fatty sitting on white going out of the parking lot by the powerline that should be taken care of shortly, just a tad to big for the battery saw.
Resized_Resized_20220327_142547.jpeg

Here's to another promotion to owning an ebike.
First was I was able to ride pretty much every trail in the whole park to assess.
Second it made for easy access with the saw by just hanging in turbo from tree to tree. There's enough grunting going on when clearing dead falls. Every jorba rep should have a ebike, hell forget that, everyone should have an ebike 🤣

The barberry trail mess is now cleared.
20220327_151805.jpg
20220327_154408.jpg

Super bummed that I turned on my tracker but forgot to hit go 😔

I went out to deer park again because I was entertained on my last ride enough to do it again. This time I did Rouge properly. Pushed it hard and got my heartrate maxed on that section.
Otherwise my average was 143 for the ride. I'd have to assume I was about 15 miles total for the ride which was covering almost every trail in the park. Now I have to go back and have a redo 😁

Now to the fun side which is never ending but I'm attempting things I wouldn't think of on my analog because the lack of power. Now it's not even even a forgone thought, just hit it. Climbs are fun again, wait climbs we're never fun. Now I don't have the dreaded heavy of God I hate say the orange trail from Rouge.

Gonna start doing Deer Park and Stephens combos just because Rouge is better then anything in stephens except the orange Crush downhill.

20220330_175829.jpg

Back
Top Bottom