the surf SUCKS

Wobbegong

have you heard how the bass have been around lately? it's been nuts the past week to ten days - actually last weekend i heard there were a few unfriendly dorsal fins showing up and cruising the line up... probably feasting on some fat striped bass. i'm sure the fisherman are psyched... me, i'm not so psyched to hear that.

I've also heard some really big bluefish have been up in the surf lately. I love catching blues on surface poppers, they hit those things so hard when they are feeding on baitfish in the surf. We had a great day a few years back where the water looked like a jacuzzi tub on steriods from all the bluefish feeding on a big school of bunker.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
surf was good today at dawn patrol. i was out at 5:30 - 6:00. knee high+ with waist high sets. beautiful morning, red sunrise, no wind - real glassy. should be good all weekend. hit it early before the wind.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Evening glass was ok...finally got to paddle out with the jdog. I think dawn pat will be a good idea, some fun little peaks tonight.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Evening glass was ok...finally got to paddle out with the jdog. I think dawn pat will be a good idea, some fun little peaks tonight.

Good to be back in the water. I think we saw every type of weather known to man within 2 hours.

I had a few solid rides which is alll I needed.

Nice to see ken in the water!

j

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
i'm (hopefully) catching some leftovers tomorrow night if it doesn't get too windy... if anything is left for wednesday morning, i'll definitely be out.

great weekend overall. today looks like it'll be the peak.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
small but fun surf over the weekend. knee/thigh high, some waist set waves. surprisingly unpopulated for the 4th of july weekend. looks like the rain made for a party-pooping for the crowds. water was chilly - i was good in a spring suit, but it was colder than i expected.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
el surf-o was pretty fun-o this morning. a little disorganized. lots of little knee high things, some waist high sets... it was building.

MMuller

wow, no gloves. Was just in a coupe days ago and say it's the last time in my 3/2 with cap. Switching to 5 mil. But boots and gloves for the last 3 weeks for me.

frickster

I bought a brand new 3/4 this year but haven't been out since early Nov and don't have gloves/boots/hood. Figure I'm past the point of going again until next spring. The water had better friggin warm up sooner next spring/summer -- I can't believe I had to wear my full suit until end of friggin July? What was up with that?!
Any of you guys go out to OC?

jdog

Shop Keep
I bought a brand new 3/4 this year but haven't been out since early Nov and don't have gloves/boots/hood. Figure I'm past the point of going again until next spring. The water had better friggin warm up sooner next spring/summer -- I can't believe I had to wear my full suit until end of friggin July? What was up with that?!
Any of you guys go out to OC?

Do yourself a favor and buy:

2mm heater w/ a hood

some 7mm booties

and some 2 finger mittens.

You can surf a long way into the winter with this setup plus the 4-3 you have.

My 5 mm suit is way hot still.

j

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
i have been AWOL from the H-2-0 for too long... hell i have been AWOL from the bike for too long. damn CPA exam. 2 passed, 2 to go.

i'm going from boards shorts straight to my 4/3 with hood booties and gloves the next time i get out. it'll be a miracle if i can still paddle.

you get out in any of that jay? looks heavy.

dhsean

Don't want to hijack but I'm a lost surfer soul. Haven't surfed in like 15+ years but I'm looking for a house down near the Wall/Belmar area. Once I'm down there I plan to mix it up a bit again between the board and the bike. Where does everybody go these day's. I used to be a Seaside punk back in the day. Anyone willing to help me paddle out with the locals when the time comes?

Thanks

Edit: Oh yeah PM me. To quote Point Break "This is when you tell me that locals rule and yuppie scum like me should go back to the valley. -- No, that would be a waste of time, we're just going to kick your ass..."

Last edited:

...Lost

Frickster, I surf OC sometimes (I presume you mean NJ).

Spent TG week in Hatteras. I didn’t go there primarily to surf, but brought a short and long along with me. Unfortunately, the surf wasn’t that great and only went two days – one big and sloppy, the other small and clean. Based on those pictures (thank you), it looks like I left a day or two early, but I DO have to work sometimes.

I’m off to the North Shore for a week. It’s been huge there lately, so this could be my last post (ha ha). I’ve been there a bunch of times, so I know the spots pretty well, and I’m pretty good (so far) at staying alive in double/triple overhead.

Not sure why I’m talking about surfing on a Mountain biking message board. I guess that’s because on surfermag I’m just another surfer, while on here, I feel special.:rolleyes:

frickster

I hang mostly in OC with my son who is 10yrs old (yeah, I'm an 'old' guy). We go anywheres from Waverly up north, to first and second street and then down to around 59th street just above the old pier. We also do a lot of boogie boarding with fins which has been tremendous in helping my son learn how to more easily catch and ride waves.

JDog: What's a 2mm heater?

jdog

Shop Keep
I hang mostly in OC with my son who is 10yrs old (yeah, I'm an 'old' guy). We go anywheres from Waverly up north, to first and second street and then down to around 59th street just above the old pier. We also do a lot of boogie boarding with fins which has been tremendous in helping my son learn how to more easily catch and ride waves.

JDog: What's a 2mm heater?

1543.jpg

is an example of a 2mm vest with a built in hood. Wear this under a hoodless 4/3 and you can go a long way.

I also have been rocking the cosmonaut cap with the 4/3.

...Lost

Frickster - now, now. No naming spots.

I'm old too. Too old to rock and roll, but too young to die. And by "rock and roll", I mean the skate trick.

I think the Heater is the hood is attached to a vest, which goes under the suit, but I could be wrong. I have one and it's like wearing a chastity belt. Don’t ask me why I know what that’s like. I'll save that for another forum.

Top Bottom