The Stout Thread

ArmyOfNone

Yesterday I had Rouge's Chocolate stout. Man was I pleased! Not to high on the abv but the flavor more than made up for it. Bitter up front with a chocolate finish. YUM!

Not so much my favorite. Dogfish head Midas Touch. To much sweet for me.

bozizle

River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout

I tried one of the brewer reserve releases last night of the Oatmeal Milk stout. I have tried 4 different milk stouts and was never truley impressed with any of them. This was the first time I really tasted the creamy finish and very coffee like taste to the stout overall. Not bad stuff but not the best.

ArmyOfNone

Dog Fish Head Chicory Stout.

Did some bar side research on the chicory last night and learned this flower looking thing is often used as a coffee substitute, which is where this brew derives all of its flavor.

Its a bit to much coffee flavor IMO. Also very bitter up front which I did like. Looking beside that and taking the beer for what it was, I actually enjoyed it. So much I had two.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Went out to pick up Brooklyn Chocolate Stout or Rogues chocolate but the local store had neither. Picked up Sam Adams cream stout and was impressed it had a smooth chocolate finish and it was under $9.00.
After trying a few stouts I find I like the sweeter ones. At first I shyed away from stouts with chocolate in them, it sounded like a nasty combo(beer & chocolate?). But after tasting them they finish alot smoother, after one you want another. As opposed to the stronger stouts like Victory Storm King, It has a real sharp finish that you have to acquire a taste for.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
*the yeti
*youngs double choc
*flying fish imperial espresso porter is more than worth a mention
*brooklyn black choco, depending on the year. 07/08 was a good year. 06/07 was ok.
*rogue is good
*stone smoked porter is fantastic
*dogfish chicory stout
*victory storm king
*sam adam's chocolate bock is certainly worth the purchase. makes youngs double choc pale in comparison if you can believe it. seasonally available in limited production.

and you folks reeeaaally need to pester your beermen at your beer stores to start stocking speedway stout by alesmith. it's a 12% stout fermented with an excessive amount of coffee beans in the bottom of the barrel.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Dog Fish Head Chicory Stout.

Did some bar side research on the chicory last night and learned this flower looking thing is often used as a coffee substitute, which is where this brew derives all of its flavor.

Its a bit to much coffee flavor IMO. Also very bitter up front which I did like. Looking beside that and taking the beer for what it was, I actually enjoyed it. So much I had two.

it's actually not the flower, which is edible, but the 'pith' of the root, which is roasted black and used as a coffee substitute or extender. :D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i fly into philly on the 26th, then train up to nj on the 27th. i'll give you a call when i'm around.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
and you folks reeeaaally need to pester your beermen at your beer stores to start stocking speedway stout by alesmith. it's a 12% stout fermented with an excessive amount of coffee beans in the bottom of the barrel.

I know as of a few years ago, Alesmith was really hard (impossible?) to find around here. I may have seen a few bottles when I was up in MA once a few years ago. But I haven't seen it in the NY/NJ area ever. They may not distribute here.

Shaggz

A strong 7
open invite for dinner at our place; i'll cook. so as to avoid being trash heaped, i'll note that we will drink some of the stouts mentioned in this thread.

ArmyOfNone

I recently saw the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and was not sure if it was worth all the coin. I have quite the stock going right now so Im gonna have to wait a bit.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
open invite for dinner at our place; i'll cook. so as to avoid being trash heaped, i'll note that we will drink some of the stouts mentioned in this thread.

sweet! so much for me paying attention. i'm like, there. :getsome: i'll give you a call on saturday or sunday, depending on when i make it up from philly. which is another way of saying; depending on wether or not i stop drinking friday night/saturday morning, or keep right on going through till sunday morning. :hmmm:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
I recently saw the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and was not sure if it was worth all the coin. I have quite the stock going right now so Im gonna have to wait a bit.

get it before it's gone. what's it now, $20? $25? worth it for a one timer. i wouldn't buy it on a regular basis unless you've got alot of extra cash floating around. your ladyfriend will probably like it too. split it with her over a pint of chunky monkey and call it romantic or some shnit. :cool:

ArmyOfNone

sweet! so much for me paying attention. i'm like, there. :getsome: i'll give you a call on saturday or sunday, depending on when i make it up from philly. which is another way of saying; depending on wether or not i stop drinking friday night/saturday morning, or keep right on going through till sunday morning. :hmmm:

Holler my way when you have completed binging on booze :D

G

Greenman

Stone Imperial Russian Stout

I picked up a pint of Stone Imperial Russian Stout, and shared it with my Father on Christmas. We both agreed that it was a great beer. My personal favorite as of now, dare I say unseating the Brooklyn Chocolate.

I paid $7.99 for the pint by me. It has 10.8%ABV, and is pretty thick, and rich. If your a lover of strong stouts give this a try :drooling:

Link for reviews
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/1160

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'm going to nyc on the 31st, philly on the 1st and 2nd, then i'm up here till the 9th. i got your digits and i'll hit you up. :getsome:

Top Bottom