The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Last night was demo-night on my original indoor "studio". We got a call late last week that the construction crew will be ready to start our new bathroom this coming week ... The photo below is the original configuration - the new one will be bigger if nothing else!

View attachment 108388

So finally a follow-up on this. Our basement remodel/ bathroom build was completed back in November, and I had my indoor cycling area set up not too long after that, but it took another couple of weeks to get the shelves (had to order them and there was a delay in delivery) and then a little longer to get the flooring installed (it's rubber gym flooring throughout the finished basement area now, replacing a ratty old berber carpet.) Then finally, my photos were finished just last night. Those are two shots I took out in Colorado this past September. My local camera store converted them to canvas for me. I'm thinking I'm going to get a few more, but I'll probably wait a bit until I have some shots from different areas. I still have a couple small things to do yet. The green wires need to be hidden- they're for my air compressor in the shop area on the other side of the TV wall. And I need to install a Wi-Fi network specific to this area because I keep losing my connection to the Zwift companion app, which makes me seem like a total dick because I can never easily give Ride-Ons, LOL. Anyway, really enjoying the new setup. Overall, I now have my indoor riding area, a TV, a full bathroom, a wardrobe, a bike shop area complete with a utility sink, and a beer fridge. I'm running out of reasons to spend any time upstairs ...

IMG_1695.jpeg
IMG_1694.jpeg

IMG_1696.jpeg

IMG_1698.jpeg

So finally a follow-up on this. Our basement remodel/ bathroom build was completed back in November, and I had my indoor cycling area set up not too long after that, but it took another couple of weeks to get the shelves (had to order them and there was a delay in delivery) and then a little longer to get the flooring installed (it's rubber gym flooring throughout the finished basement area now, replacing a ratty old berber carpet.) Then finally, my photos were finished just last night. Those are two shots I took out in Colorado this past September. My local camera store converted them to canvas for me. I'm thinking I'm going to get a few more, but I'll probably wait a bit until I have some shots from different areas. I still have a couple small things to do yet. The green wires need to be hidden- they're for my air compressor in the shop area on the other side of the TV wall. And I need to install a Wi-Fi network specific to this area because I keep losing my connection to the Zwift companion app, which makes me seem like a total dick because I can never easily give Ride-Ons, LOL. Anyway, really enjoying the new setup. Overall, I now have my indoor riding area, a TV, a full bathroom, a wardrobe, a bike shop area complete with a utility sink, and a beer fridge. I'm running out of reasons to spend any time upstairs ...

View attachment 118869View attachment 118868
View attachment 118870
View attachment 118871
Wow that looks great. !

Nice touch with the bib numbers currently I have all mine stapled to the wall in my garage with the intention one day of framing them like that too.

Ride On! ??

Wow that looks great. !

Nice touch with the bib numbers currently I have all mine stapled to the wall in my garage with the intention one day of framing them like that too.

Ride On! ??

Thanks! They were kind of a leftover thing - I wanted something for the wall in my old setup, and all I had to work with was some extra soundboards and a handful of numbers I hadn't used. I made one of them and when I was building this setup, I decided to make another to balance it out. I had a ton of numbers stacked up, so I had plenty to work with. They're all leftovers and anything I've gained in the years since I built the shop . I have about a hundred numbers up on the wall there, all surrounding my peg board. Here's a recent shot showing some of them:

T1g5RQzmRjGET6LHcKMHGQ.jpg

Finally! It is eerily too quiet like an EV. I wonder if my avg Watts will increase or decrease with TacX Neo versus wahoo snap.
View attachment 118815

Power numbers will always be different between different power meters and trainers. For example, my Kickr reads 15 watts higher that my 4iiii but 10 watts lower than my Powertap P1. I recommend that you retest ftp on the new setup and go by that. A power meter only needs to be consistent with itself to be useful. Nice setup and happy training!

@Hakimaki I’m just hoping it makes me look and feel better! Ha
I love the fact no calibration!

@1speed that’s exactly what I do with my hand towel. Sweat drip for my hands and face. That setup is dope.

Hey is that a teeter totter/inverter or the like? I’ve been thinking about getting one. Every other day my lower back bothers me. What is your honest thought about them?

@Hakimaki I’m just hoping it makes me look and feel better! Ha
I love the fact no calibration!

@1speed that’s exactly what I do with my hand towel. Sweat drip for my hands and face. That setup is dope.

Hey is that a teeter totter/inverter or the like? I’ve been thinking about getting one. Every other day my lower back bothers me. What is your honest thought about them?

Yes, that's an inversion table. I love it. I have a couple of herniated discs in my lower back that leave my back feeling very painful and compressed, and the table has been a real lifesaver. The only thing to bear in mind is that you kind of have to ease into it - it's not a good idea to put it on the highest level of inversion right away and the amount of time you spend hanging upside down should start out short and grow. I've had it for a couple of years now, so I can turn it fully upside down and pretty much stay there all day, but when I started, I couldn't do more than a minute without feeling like my head was going to explode. And one other thing - if you have a cat like mine, just know he will detect your vulnerability and he will use it to his advantage. He likes to come over and tap my face whenever I'm upside down - it's like being worked over by a tiny mafia enforcer with furry hands. I live in constant fear of the day he shows up with zip ties for my hands, a face towel and a bucket of water and starts to torture me for the location of his cat treat stash.

Another option are gravity boots if you have a bar to hang from.
https://teeter.com/product/ez-gravity-boots/

These are the ones I have which I got pretty cheap used on ebay. They work really well and are a space saver compared to an inversion table. But like 1speed said, it takes a while to build up to being able to hang upside down like a bat. It helps me a lot whenever my lower back starts to hurt, the feeling of decompression feels amazing.

Very good info. Thanks guys. Space is an issue. I do have a beach that declines so maybe I’ll ease into it with that. Any way to ease into the gravity boots or do you just do it for like 30 sec to start @Hakimaki

I just finished 8 out of 60 on TDZ stage 2. Long four mile climb. The Neo definitely makes a difference. With the snap I usually get dropped hard AF on the climbs.. The Neo I was able to stay with the small group we formed. I tried to hold the 7th spot. Held it for like 2 of the 2.25 miles and the guy used a feather to finish!

Yea Manny, I just start off doing it for 30-60 seconds at a time. I can usually build up to hanging for 3-5 minutes, even more sometimes. The trick is to build up your comfort level, allow your body to relax and let gravity take over. The feeling of decompression once you do is amazing. I wish you lived closer, I would just loan you mine to let you try them out.

Oh hey, I ride inside. Unlike @jShort i have zero shame over this. Fiancé got me a Saris H3 and Zwift sub for Christmas and life is dreamy. I like the cold but damn do I dislike riding the road in it - and until I get my shoulder repaired, the MTB is a no go. At some point @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST or someone else that works from home will set up a more reasonable time to co-Zwift. As of now, I’ve spent exactly 14 seconds with @Norm in London.

No shame in my game.

I pretty much trained completely inside this winter. All in on the TrainerRoad product. We’ll see if it worked.

Training inside can be a lot harder physically then outside in the winter, as long as you have something to keep occupied it isn't bad. Personally anything under 40 is inside for me these days, my feet cant handle the cold anymore. On a side note I always considered zwift kind of lame and didn't think much of it but after doing the races my attitude changed, just as hard as in real life if not harder at times depending who is there.

Training inside can be a lot harder physically then outside in the winter, as long as you have something to keep occupied it isn't bad. Personally anything under 40 is inside for me these days, my feet cant handle the cold anymore. On a side note I always considered zwift kind of lame and didn't think much of it but after doing the races my attitude changed, just as hard as in real life if not harder at times depending who is there.

One thing that doesn’t exist inside: coasting. ?

I really enjoyed my first CRIT race. "C" group finished 4th
233 watts for 28 minutes.188 BPm avg HR
I was waisted by the end.
Can't wait for the next one.

I really enjoyed my first CRIT race. "C" group finished 4th
233 watts for 28 minutes.188 BPm avg HR
I was waisted by the end.
Can't wait for the next one.

I really like the racing but haven't been too serious about how I finish, it's been more about getting good tempo workout in and it makes time go by quicker. Before I started it I never realized how competitive the a races really are on zwift, unless you can put down big power it's no joke.

I wanted something, anything, to make the Bologna TT stop.
Did the Alpe this am - damn near 80 minutes. That type of effort can’t be replicated in these parts

I wanted something, anything, to make the Bologna TT stop.
Did the Alpe this am - damn near 80 minutes. That type of effort can’t be replicated in these parts

The bologna tt was pretty boring, really wouldn't look forward to doing that anytime soon. I wasn't planning on doing the Alpe today but I noticed it on the schedule and did it for the first time, hard without a warmup but it was fun and really liked it. One question to anyone who has used zwift for a while, am I the only one who has a hard time climbing on the trainer for some reason it feels odd to me and power is down quite a bit from riding outside?

Back
Top Bottom