The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

iman29

Considering upgrading already! Lowest price to highest.

1) Kickr Core used - only thing that interest me about the Kickr's is that I'd be interested in the Climb accessory
2) Saris H3 new - I'll be getting a new unit. Reviews seem solid. But it may feel like it's like buying a microsoft phone. It will loose support over time.
3) Tacx Neo 2 new - I mean one of the highest regarded with road feedback, downhill sim, silent silent, it's got some flex, highest gradient, Tacx VR software seems like a great thing.

What do you think?

I can only base my feedback on experiences of others who have upgraded, since my basic setup meets my needs. I might one day consider a smart trainer from my Budget setup but it's not on any wishlist right now.

I would be careful of compatibility with the KICKR climb, it only works with certain models after xxx date/version. I also might hesitate a little to buy a used smart trainer unless it was local and I could test it out, but then you have the no warranty problem anyway which really matters with these trainers.

I have not researched the latest and greatest but I am a bit brand loyal and my 7 year old CycleOps Fluid2 has been bulletproof, and most stories I hear about support are very good. Someone mentioned the same they are discounting some overstock Hammer trainers that seems like a good deal.

In the end if $$ is no object then go for the latest one but again I have not done a lot of comparison shoppping lately. There's 100 answers if you ask 100 people on this topic.

Not sure if my answer helped or not now that I read it back... ;-)

THATmanMANNY

@iman29 haha
I knew I would get a mixed bag but that's what forums are for. Good point on the used. It's funny too that people selling used ones are asking close to new.

The wife and I are enlightened by this new riding. Especially with the young family. It makes getting a workout in so easy and safe and entertaining. The one month experience so far is worth a couple hundred bucks.

Leaning towards the Neo... It's a lot of money but the variance between the options is not much and based on our experience so far, it may be worth the price and I don't say that often!

Last edited:

trener1

If your hesitation with the H3 is if Saris will be around in a few years, I would say not to worry.
I think for the price it is bomproof and does what it is supposed to do very well.
Of course if you want the trainer to shake a little or feel like you are riding over cobbles, then go for the Neo.

iman29

@iman29 haha
I knew I would get a mixed bag but that's what forums are for. Good point on the used. It's funny too that people selling used ones are asking close to new.

The wife and I are enlightened by this new riding. Especially with the young family. It makes getting a workout in so easy and safe and entertaining. The one month experience so far is worth a couple hundred bucks.

Leaning towards the Neo... It's a lot of money but the variance between the options is not much and based on our experience so far the it may be worth the price and I don't say that often!

take all the opinions and then go for whatever you and the wife feel best with thats what really matters.

and for all the talk about BIYF and being outside etc.. when you have a young family and you still want to optimize the training, all these indoor options really fit in very well. Zwift didnt exist when I spent 3 months riding my new Fluid2 and watching Youtube videos 8 years ago but i could do it at 6am when the kids were still sleeping and only be downstairs for an hour or so. and it really helped me get into shape.

Hope you and the Mrs enjoy the neo when you get it i dont think any of the newer options can be that bad, and then you have the warranty support in case it does.

THATmanMANNY

1578511431603.png

queuing up for sale ads

THATmanMANNY

the trainer bikes have a market if you deal with adjusting the size a lot. Prefer looking at a real bike.

Anyways, any else participating tour de zwift?

Joe J

Reverse weight doping for Zwift. I find it easier log endurance time in a Zwift group ride but most group rides on Zwift are 2.0-2.5 w/kg. Any reason adjusting weight to match the intensity I'm looking for is a bad idea??

iman29

Reverse weight doping for Zwift. I find it easier log endurance time in a Zwift group ride but most group rides on Zwift are 2.0-2.5 w/kg. Any reason adjusting weight to match the intensity I'm looking for is a bad idea??

my 2 cents is for what you want to do ( in this case a long group ride) it probably doesnt matter. for the races there's a decent amount of people who are cheating that way anyway with no way to prove it. so as long as you realize your not laying down that wattage no one is gonna think about it either way.

Joe J

my 2 cents is for what you want to do ( in this case a long group ride) it probably doesnt matter. for the races there's a decent amount of people who are cheating that way anyway with no way to prove it. so as long as you realize your not laying down that wattage no one is gonna think about it either way.

Yeah would never do it in a race.

Tried it for a ride just now and it worked pretty well. Zwift was showing me around 3 w/kg but I was actually at 3.5 w/kg so allowed me to work at the level I wanted to without disrupting the group.

iman29

Finally! It is eerily too quiet like an EV. I wonder if my avg Watts will increase or decrease with TacX Neo versus wahoo snap.
View attachment 118815

Nice purchase! I still have a wheel on dumb trainer but from what I have read the wheel off trainers tend to be more accurate and better reflect your Watts compared to even the wheel on smart trainers so probably will be lower . IN the end if you get a good workout, WATT does it matter. ??

Top Bottom