The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

goldsbar

I have a direct mount TACX trainer, the cassette on the trainer is a different gear range than the cassette on my wheel. Does having the different gear range on the trainer require a derailleur adjustment? If so, that might explain why shifting and smoothness is so poor on the trainer. Otherwise I may have setup my trainer with the wrong axle spacers which could be the cause of poor shifting and smoothness on trainer.

BTW, I bought refurb 4k appletv for Zwifting and it is awesome!

Mine is always just a bit off. Seems like I need to turn the barrel adjuster just a click or two between bike and trainer. Never do. Also, shifting on the trainer will always be a bit harsh as there's seldom any real coasting or easy pedaling.

As for the different cog sizes, maybe you need to adjust the b-screw?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I have a direct mount TACX trainer, the cassette on the trainer is a different gear range than the cassette on my wheel. Does having the different gear range on the trainer require a derailleur adjustment? If so, that might explain why shifting and smoothness is so poor on the trainer. Otherwise I may have setup my trainer with the wrong axle spacers which could be the cause of poor shifting and smoothness on trainer.

BTW, I bought refurb 4k appletv for Zwifting and it is awesome!

should be a spacer behind the cassette for 10sp, no spacer for 11. i had a little twist of the barrel adjuster, nothing severe.
I think my trainer has a smaller, large cog than the wheel, and seems to work fine w/o messing with the b screw.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm on an android, so not so much with that. Also, having the Discord app running in group situations means a lot sweaty swiping. Never ideal.

wonder if you could find an old iphone 7 and not activate the cell service?
Music through the apple tv, discord and companion on the handlebars with an earbud through pithed iphone
then all the BT goodies.

i'm wearing fingerless gloves on the trainer to stop some of the sweat.

my bike moves towards the tv when sprinting. :D

Zello had a BT physical PTT button that opens its voice channel even when the app is not in the foreground.
Would be nice if discord did something like this. https://www.newegg.com/p/0SC-01WP-00001

I'll take a guess that their income stream is from Apps that pay to let them integrate the functionality directly.
hence no external buttons - which would end-run the $$$ flow.

Last edited:

CommandoStyle

should be a spacer behind the cassette for 10sp, no spacer for 11. i had a little twist of the barrel adjuster, nothing severe.
I think my trainer has a smaller, large cog than the wheel, and seems to work fine w/o messing with the b screw.
I wrote spacer but meant adapter. It’s an 11sp setup, my large cog is also smaller on trainer than on wheel. Seems to be working a bit better now even with no barrel adjustment, I guess it wore in.

Pampa

What's the best way to start Zwifting on a budget? I want to try this but not ready to invest too much yet. This is what I have:

CycleOps Fuid 2 trainer with a road bike with a PowerTap Pro hub. I just put Garmin cadence and speed sensors on the bike. Before I was using speed and cadence from the PowerTap hub. Cadence was very jittery and seemed to lag.

Garmin 830

Laptop (not sure if specs matter that much but I've seen them quoted in this thread): Lenovo Core i7 (7th gen 7600U), 16 GB RAM LPDDR3 1866 MHz, 1 TB SSD, Intel HD 620 graphics card).

iPhone 7, ipad mini about 5 years old. Music stand that could hold ipad or laptop.

42" old Pioneer TV, 1080

Wireless internet on basement: 200+ mbps download, 18 mbps upload

I just sold my old Apple TV but I could get a similar one I guess.

Any suggestions?

trener1

I think the simplest way to start would be to pick up a ant+ dongle for your laptop and have it pickup the powertap.
Power and speed are what are important to Zwift, cadance is important in real life but I dont think it will make much difference for Zwift
They are super cheap like $15 or something.

THATmanMANNY

a usb extension would be good too. They usually sell them as a package (usb extension cord plus ANT+ dongle).

When you are browsing the routes before you ride is there an elevation profile of the entire ride like when you are riding and the map has the profile at the bottom? Am I missing it?

Any feedback on Tacx riding software with live video on real roads?

iman29

What's the best way to start Zwifting on a budget? I want to try this but not ready to invest too much yet. This is what I have:

CycleOps Fuid 2 trainer with a road bike with a PowerTap Pro hub. I just put Garmin cadence and speed sensors on the bike. Before I was using speed and cadence from the PowerTap hub. Cadence was very jittery and seemed to lag.

Garmin 830

Laptop (not sure if specs matter that much but I've seen them quoted in this thread): Lenovo Core i7 (7th gen 7600U), 16 GB RAM LPDDR3 1866 MHz, 1 TB SSD, Intel HD 620 graphics card).

iPhone 7, ipad mini about 5 years old. Music stand that could hold ipad or laptop.

42" old Pioneer TV, 1080

Wireless internet on basement: 200+ mbps download, 18 mbps upload

I just sold my old Apple TV but I could get a similar one I guess.

Any suggestions?

I’ve been running a budget setup since Zwift was free and in beta tester mode and it serves my purpose just fine. Just get the ANT+ USB dongle off amazon and you’re good to go. You even have more stuff than I did when I started.

The laptop is more than fine for now Zwift is mostly graphics intensive not CPU intensive . If you wanted to connect the laptop to the TV that’s a bonus.

You don’t need the Garmin for anything when you Zwift the laptop becomes the device and it saves all your data.

You probably want to sync your Strava and Zwift but that’s not too hard.

One thing missing in your list is a good strong standing fan with a remote because no matter how cold your basement is you’re gonna sweat like a pig and you need to keep the body temp down. I have a standing fan from Walmart that came with a remote for like 25 bucks it has 3 speed and works great.

Lastly the GCN videos on YouTube are really good also that guy Shane Miller (LLama ) has a video for “Zwift on a budget”

Pampa

I think the simplest way to start would be to pick up a ant+ dongle for your laptop and have it pickup the powertap.
Power and speed are what are important to Zwift, cadance is important in real life but I dont think it will make much difference for Zwift
They are super cheap like $15 or something.

Great. Yep, I got a dongle in my cart in amazon now. Thanks!

Pampa

a usb extension would be good too. They usually sell them as a package (usb extension cord plus ANT+ dongle).

When you are browsing the routes before you ride is there an elevation profile of the entire ride like when you are riding and the map has the profile at the bottom? Am I missing it?

Any feedback on Tacx riding software with live video on real roads?

I saw several of the usb dongles with the extension cord. What's the extension for. I like how small the dongle alone is and I'll have my laptop right in front of the bike, so the dongle will be just as close to the PowerTap hub to pick up the signal. Am I missing something?

Pampa

I’ve been running a budget setup since Zwift was free and in beta tester mode and it serves my purpose just fine. Just get the ANT+ USB dongle off amazon and you’re good to go. You even have more stuff than I did when I started.

The laptop is more than fine for now Zwift is mostly graphics intensive not CPU intensive . If you wanted to connect the laptop to the TV that’s a bonus.

You don’t need the Garmin for anything when you Zwift the laptop becomes the device and it saves all your data.

You probably want to sync your Strava and Zwift but that’s not too hard.

One thing missing in your list is a good strong standing fan with a remote because no matter how cold your basement is you’re gonna sweat like a pig and you need to keep the body temp down. I have a standing fan from Walmart that came with a remote for like 25 bucks it has 3 speed and works great.

Lastly the GCN videos on YouTube are really good also that guy Shane Miller (LLama ) has a video for “Zwift on a budget”

I was thinking about the fan. I'll look into that.

Yep, I'll sync Strava and TrainingPeaks too (it looks like I can do that too).

Thanks!

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Am I missing something?
Sometimes the ant+ broadcast from the PT to the dongle is too far and causes dropouts. This is generally a thing for crank arm power units. The hub internals are much stouter and should broadcast fine. If they don't though, you'll use that extension to position the dongle closer to the hub.

THATmanMANNY

Considering upgrading already! Lowest price to highest.

1) Kickr Core used - only thing that interest me about the Kickr's is that I'd be interested in the Climb accessory
2) Saris H3 new - I'll be getting a new unit. Reviews seem solid. But it may feel like it's like buying a microsoft phone. It will loose support over time.
3) Tacx Neo 2 new - I mean one of the highest regarded with road feedback, downhill sim, silent silent, it's got some flex, highest gradient, Tacx VR software seems like a great thing.

What do you think?

trener1

BTW, Saris has some Hammers they are clearing out at
$699, I would get that over the Core "if" you don't think you will want the climb down the line.

If you can afford the Tacx then go for it, I doubt it will make your training better but I am sure that it will add to the fun factor, is it worth twice as much as the hammer? only you can decide that.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why do you feel the H3 won't have support? Saris is known for good support, I can speak from personal experience on that.

Eltee

1) Kickr Core used - only thing that interest me about the Kickr's is that I'd be interested in the Climb accessory
2) Saris H3 new - I'll be getting a new unit. Reviews seem solid. But it may feel like it's like buying a microsoft phone. It will loose support over time.
3) Tacx Neo 2 new - I mean one of the highest regarded with road feedback, downhill sim, silent silent, it's got some flex, highest gradient, Tacx VR software seems like a great thing.

What do you think?
I have a Magnus that's been working well for two years. I recently did a software update. I think I have done three updates since I've owned it.
I read on DC rainmaker that saris sold there power tap division to focus more on indoor trainers. My personal opinion is that the support is probably going to be good .

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The core is the best value, and it's compatible with the climb, which is great.
The H3 is solid, esp if you can find a deal. Aside from excelling at Trainer Road erg-mode stuff, it's probably on par with everything else out there at that price point, if a wee bit louder.
But screw it, buy the Neo 2. It's the effing beans.

CommandoStyle

What do you think?
TACX has a newer model out now, the Neo 2t (I think it increases max potential wattage). Before Christmas I saw the Neo 2 available online for $999 with free shipping.

THATmanMANNY

Not that I think Saris is going to die but it's just feel dated from that start, I guess. Got the basics all right but no bells and whistles. It will quickly be forgotten as proven by the quick sales already and they aren't even on the H4 or something.

The Neo 2T solves the virtual slip issues from the Neo1/2 but I doubt I will experience it based on my weight and I'm not racing though I can see myself trying it out. The $400 difference doesn't seem worth it.

Top Bottom