The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

So I've been running Zwift using airplay from my phone to gen 1 apple tv for the last couple years recently though I keep loosing the connection between the phone & apple TV. From what I can gather Apple stopped supporting the older Apple TV's so I'm thinking it's a firmware issue.

Current TV is 24"

Think my option are.

New Apple TV connected to existing TV. - $149

Lightning to HDMI adapter connecting current TV to phone - $50

Airplay2 compatible 40" smart tv & wall mount - $250

Thoughts?

FWIW - I ride e-motion rollers not a smart trainer if that matters.

So I've been running Zwift using airplay from my phone to gen 1 apple tv for the last couple years recently though I keep loosing the connection between the phone & apple TV. From what I can gather Apple stopped supporting the older Apple TV's so I'm thinking it's a firmware issue.

Current TV is 24"

Think my option are.

New Apple TV connected to existing TV. - $149

Lightning to HDMI adapter connecting current TV to phone - $50

Airplay2 compatible 40" smart tv & wall mount - $250

Thoughts?

FWIW - I ride e-motion rollers not a smart trainer if that matters.

New apple TV, esp if you use the apple tv for the other goodies. netflix/disney+/music etc.
The phone then uses zwift companion, which has some nice features - like being able to go away from the app
and keep riding. Any V4 apple tv should do it.

Are there any rumors of 2020 wahoo trainers? I’m surprised they skipped 2019. Mrs seems to be loving it. May be worthwhile for a quiet direct drive.

Are there any rumors of 2020 wahoo trainers? I’m surprised they skipped 2019. Mrs seems to be loving it. May be worthwhile for a quiet direct drive.

they released the wahoo kickr bike.

1577888946541.png

Thoughts?
I'll second @Patrick on the Apple TV. I'm also on E-Motions, using my Stages PM for cadence and power, HR through a wahoo BT/Ant+ strap. DCRainmaker's review.
The bad-
The controller is awful. It makes choosing courses and workouts very difficult, and not something done on the fly as you're riding. This remote is one of the worst things Apple has ever built.
The TV can only accept two bluetooth signals at a time. So Power/Cadence through the Stages, HRM from the Wahoo strap and we're done. If you're getting cadence through a separate input, that's a no go.
The good-
It's bulletproof. Never dropped out, never frozen, never failed to save a ride. After two years, that's pretty effing boss.

OTOH there is that gaming computer in the For Sale section... 60FPS!

The TV can only accept two bluetooth signals at a time.

this is where the zwift companion app comes in. phone on handlebars - phone handles the BT connections and can use the phone's apple remote if needed.
most pop-up questions come on the phone and screen. so touch interface.

this is where the zwift companion app comes in. phone on handlebars - phone handles the BT connections and can use the phone's apple remote if needed.
most pop-up questions come on the phone and screen. so touch interface.

Thanks,
I should be ok with just just 2 signals - power & Cadence from the crank & Hr from the strap.
I use the companion now but just to make turns or message a group.
Can I chose courses on the companion?

What is Discord?
It's a gaming communications app we use for the wednesday and monday rides. Unlike the Zwift app, it has a vocal channel, which we're doing our boomer best to figure out. Look to the Wednesday night ride thread for a link.

Can I chose courses on the companion?

Nope - but can sign up for events.

Apple's Remote App on the phone works better than the apple tv remote in most cases.
Zwift should improve those screens. They do suck.

I'll second @Patrick on the Apple TV. I'm also on E-Motions, using my Stages PM for cadence and power, HR through a wahoo BT/Ant+ strap. DCRainmaker's review.
The bad-
The controller is awful. It makes choosing courses and workouts very difficult, and not something done on the fly as you're riding. This remote is one of the worst things Apple has ever built.
The TV can only accept two bluetooth signals at a time. So Power/Cadence through the Stages, HRM from the Wahoo strap and we're done. If you're getting cadence through a separate input, that's a no go.
The good-
It's bulletproof. Never dropped out, never frozen, never failed to save a ride. After two years, that's pretty effing boss.

OTOH there is that gaming computer in the For Sale section... 60FPS!
1577904602555.png

;-)

3 different Apple TV models - 32gb, 32gb 4k & 64gb 4k. Any reason to spend extra $$? Only be using while training for Zwift, YouTube, Reb Bull Tv.

Sorry Norm I promise when your ready for Medicare I'll answer all your silly question !!!

3 different Apple TV models - 32gb, 32gb 4k & 64gb 4k. Any reason to spend extra $$? Only be using while training for Zwift, YouTube, Reb Bull Tv.

Sorry Norm I promise when your ready for Medicare I'll answer all your silly question !!!

if you plan on getting a 4k tv, then the 4k would be nice - otherwise std 32gb.

https://www.ebay.com/p/14023436920?iid=362829841055

I have a direct mount TACX trainer, the cassette on the trainer is a different gear range than the cassette on my wheel. Does having the different gear range on the trainer require a derailleur adjustment? If so, that might explain why shifting and smoothness is so poor on the trainer. Otherwise I may have setup my trainer with the wrong axle spacers which could be the cause of poor shifting and smoothness on trainer.

BTW, I bought refurb 4k appletv for Zwifting and it is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom