sun 12/10, 6-mile 9am

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'm going down to 6-mile next sunday, the tenth of december. anyone familiar with the place/local want to show me around? anyone from up here want to tag along? i'm flexible on the time.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I might have ridden there once or twice.

I will shoot for 9 unless it won't work for you..

Peas

j

anrothar

entirely thrilled
sweet. i'll be there. is my 32x20 decent for that, or would i be better off with a 32x18? i've yet to take the fixed cog off the other side, so i need a good reason to throw the 18 back on.

Last edited:

jdog

Shop Keep
I run a 33 x 18 on the 26er and a 32 x 20 on the 29er.

Either would work. I rode Chris G's Bontrager today which has a 34 x18. I thought it would be much tougher but since I forget the gearing was different I didn't notice. I guess I was too busy thinking about the fact that he rides a full rigid 26" bike all the time.

My Mary felt really smooth compared to that bike. His bike is unforgiving both in ride comfort and handling. Once again proving that he is not human.

I am finding that the small changes are mental thing. Chris pointed out to me that changing form a 33 to a 34 = a 2" bigger gear.

For me the thing I love about the SS is the mental game of coming to terms with the gearing you have on the bike and figuring out what you can do with it.

We had one guy along today with gears. We smoked him in the twisty stuff but he was gone on the wide open sections.

I think I need to go back and add some more turns.

J

anrothar

entirely thrilled
since there really aren't any hills(you say), maybe i'll throw the 34t on up front and the 18 in the back. it's a 29er. i rode the 24 of allamuchy in that gear, so i should be able to handle it.

i think the speed in the twisty stuff has more to do with the mental handicap of having more gears. 'you don't have to downshift, but you probably will'.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe the FS guy just sucks with twisty stuff. I had no problem 'keeping up' with both the FS and SS guys today regardless of terrain.

jdog

Shop Keep
Easy..

normZurawski said:
Maybe the FS guy just sucks with twisty stuff. I had no problem 'keeping up' with both the FS and SS guys today regardless of terrain.

Keeping up is rarely about the bike.

More about how many beers were consumed the previous night.

I ride a whole bunch of bikes. Some with gears and some without.

I do Ok on all of them. It is usually in the 3rd hour that I start to wish for another gear.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'm from the mahlon/allamucky area. all we have are piles of rocks interrupted by occasional mud bogs.

ArmyOfNone

we've got big wood

anrothar said:
i'm from the mahlon/allamucky area. all we have are piles of rocks interrupted by occasional mud bogs.

We have log piles and mud. Let us know what you think ;)

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I think i can make it. Which loc. do i mapquest? Or poss carpool and sourlands after??

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i could drive brett. and i would definitely be up for sourlands after. we'll swing by norms house and kidnap him for it, Old School style.

ArmyOfNone

hardtale70 said:
I think i can make it. Which loc. do i mapquest? Or poss carpool and sourlands after??

never been to the sourlands...

i guess thats a good way to take advantage of being in the area. sounds like a crazy fun day of riding.

walter

Fourth Party
what kind of pace you guys think it will be, is it going to be a hammer fest or can some of us leg and lung challenged folks come?

walter

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
anrothar said:
i could drive brett. and i would definitely be up for sourlands after. we'll swing by norms house and kidnap him for it, Old School style.

Sweet. Kidnapping is cool!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
we might have to render you unconscious at first. just a fair warning.

pacewise, i tend to moto, but don't mind stopping on group rides. from what i gather, chris is quite the speedy little devil, brett likes to go "braaaap braaaaaap" while hes moving along, and uh, norm are you coming to 6 mile? norm keeps a decent pace.

i really don't know these trails, but i would say anyone who can keep a riding pace of anywhere from 8-12 mph would not be too far off the back or front of the group.

ArmyOfNone

anrothar said:
we might have to render you unconscious at first. just a fair warning.

pacewise, i tend to moto, but don't mind stopping on group rides. from what i gather, chris is quite the speedy little devil, brett likes to go "braaaap braaaaaap" while hes moving along, and uh, norm are you coming to 6 mile? norm keeps a decent pace.

i really don't know these trails, but i would say anyone who can keep a riding pace of anywhere from 8-12 mph would not be too far off the back or front of the group.

sounds like we are in for a treat on sunday walter. lucky for us six mile is pretty flat, hopefully that will help us to keep them in sight. or maybe not so much. We will see.

im lookin forward to it. sounds like we will have another good group and another great ride. :) :)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
oh wait, chris didn't reply to this one. so uh, subtract one speedy little devil from the equation.

jdog

Shop Keep
Chris won't come.. He is afraid of mud.

Btw Chis is the guy kickin most guys buttocks on gear older than them.

Look for his vintage 1992 camelback as it flies away from you.

Top Bottom