sun 12/10, 6-mile 9am

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
You will be fine..

walter said:
what kind of pace you guys think it will be, is it going to be a hammer fest or can some of us leg and lung challenged folks come?

walter

Quick but nothing you can't handle. I know we put a hurtin on you last week but you will be greatful in the longrun.

The best way to get faster is to ride with faster people.

We should have a nice little parade.

j:D

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I will never be worthy...

..of the great bearded one, but hell yeah, just give me the 411 on when and where. PS 2 strokes rule!!

jdog

Shop Keep
I will be attending the 9am "bike Church".

Hope for frozen ground.

I will bring my beard.

j

anrothar

entirely thrilled
brett and i will be leaving here around 7, in hopes of getting there around 8:30, to be ready to roll at 9. i'm assuming we park in the lot on canal rd?

jdog(jason?), pm or email me your cell, just in case, i'll do likewise.

jdog

Shop Keep
Park On Rte 27.

anrothar said:
brett and i will be leaving here around 7, in hopes of getting there around 8:30, to be ready to roll at 9. i'm assuming we park in the lot on canal rd?

jdog(jason?), pm or email me your cell, just in case, i'll do likewise.

NO Park on Rte 27 just south of couzins lane.

I have already told everyone else that. No one really parks at canal road.

If you need directions off 287 let me know.

jason

J-Dro

Hey jdog,
I dropped off a bunch of 2x6 pressure treated boards for your bridge project today. Hopefully you saw them at the trailhead. I figured you might be able to put today's posse to work moving them to where they need to be.
Jeff

anrothar

entirely thrilled
wow, i guess i'll do a park by park rundown.

6-mile. perfect timing, the ground was frozen for nearly all the ride. swoopy, fast and really fun. no real tech, no real elevation change, but unbelievably fun. when we finished, j looks at my stem and goes "did you lose your gps?" i nearly crapped myself. so brett and i rode back down the now thawing out and muddy trails to luckily find it only about 2.5 miles in. whew. j, and walter couldn't make it to sourlands, but fred(army of none) decided to come along, despite not sleeping since the day before.

sourlands, with brett and fred. WOW! this place is like super magic funland for former trials riders. incredibly fun. i would drive the hour and 15 minutes down there just to ride a sub-ten mile loop, perhaps ride it twice... fred, who has only been riding a bike(aside from childhood) for 7 months, and had never really ridden anything rocky technical, picked it up amazingly quick for riding a singlespeed. brett was in his element, and i can see what he means about loving the rocky tech stuff.

thanks for showing us around 6-mile, and thanks everyone for coming along. great time. hope to ride there again some time soon.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=1727931

J-Dro

you couldn't pick two parks that are less similar then 6 mile run and sourlands. I would have loved to join you guys but my son had a lacrosse game today. sourlands is just minutes from my house so an open invitation to anyone who wants a tour. like anrothar said, its rocky & technical enough that a second loop doesn't get boring if the 1st 10 miles leaves you wanting more.

jdog

Shop Keep
mtbdawgJeff said:
Hey jdog,
I dropped off a bunch of 2x6 pressure treated boards for your bridge project today. Hopefully you saw them at the trailhead. I figured you might be able to put today's posse to work moving them to where they need to be.
Jeff

I grabbed them. They will be well used in a loving home.

Peace at last in the universe.

Thanks

Merry X-mas.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
10 miles, huh? Last time I was there it was about a 4/5 mile park. It's been a while so maybe I should check it out again. Maybe next week Jeff? A good friend of mine lives in Flemington right now so that would work out well. Of course we're super early riders so I don't know if that works for you. We could talk about avatars if you like.

jdog

Shop Keep
anrothar said:
wow, i guess i'll do a park by park rundown.

6-mile. perfect timing, the ground was frozen for nearly all the ride. swoopy, fast and really fun. no real tech, no real elevation change, but unbelievably fun. when we finished, j looks at my stem and goes "did you lose your gps?" i nearly crapped myself. so brett and i rode back down the now thawing out and muddy trails to luckily find it only about 2.5 miles in. whew. j, and walter couldn't make it to sourlands, but Fred(army of none) decided to come along, despite not sleeping since the day before.

sourlands, with brett and Fred. WOW! this place is like super magic funland for former trials riders. incredibly fun. i would drive the hour and 15 minutes down there just to ride a sub-ten mile loop, perhaps ride it twice... Fred, who has only been riding a bike(aside from childhood) for 7 months, and had never really ridden anything rocky technical, picked it up amazingly quick for riding a singlespeed. Brett was in his element, and i can see what he means about loving the rocky tech stuff.

thanks for showing us around 6-mile, and thanks everyone for coming along. great time. hope to ride there again some time soon.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=1727931

Thanks for making the trek down to visit some of the trails in central NJ.

I was very rewarding to have some new faces out on our trails with such big smiles.

Clearly this is not the type of terrain that you guys normally ride.

We have made the best of what is available locally.

I was certain that your GPS was lost forever but I am certainly happy you found it.

Is is nice to finally see an unit erupted GPS mapping.

I can't wait to show you guys Alaire next week.

Some time soon we will get back your way as well too.

Thanks

J

walter

Fourth Party
definately good times today

glad you guys had fun on both your rides and I'm glad you found your GPS, was it out in the open or did you have to really look for it? It turned out to be a beautiful day, hopefully next weekend will be just as nice. Great meeting you guys, hope to do it again soon. I hope Fred is getting some sleep.

walter

anrothar

entirely thrilled
it was on the side of the trail where i dropped my bike when mostly j was moving those two trees off the new section. we had stopped there, figuring if it came off, it would be where i set the bike down. brett spotted it. on the google earth file, you can see where i lost it. the line becomes almost like a big tangled knot. i guess when it dropped, it got shaken and confused a bit. you can also see where that monster log crossing is, because of the several attempts.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Say what?!?

jdog said:
Is is nice to finally see an unit erupted GPS mapping.
Someone's "unit erupted" on the ride? You guys must have been having an awfully good time...:hmmm:

ArmyOfNone

What a great day!

WoW! So today was a super day! The weather was beautiful. I was worried it would be freezing and that would make the ride not so much fun. Not the case.

Six mile was in about the best shape it has been in for quite some time. No mud! ChrisG would have enjoyed it, but then we would have been running thru like rabbits.

How Brett spotted Sean's gps...no clue but thank goodness he did.

We stopped at WaWa after six mile to refuel before we made our next stop.

None of us had a clue as to what to expect. Jeff...you are deff rite about the two being completely different parks. The sourlands was an amazing place! The most technical place i have ridden was chimney rock and i did not have the opportunity to make it thru the entire park. I dont think that they compare.

Rocks, rocks, rocks! Lets not even talk about the 650ft (i think) climb strait up hill! Never have i have ridden a climb that big and that long...especially with one gear! I think sean rode the climb with no hands :D Unbelievably fun. Cant wait to do it again.

Sean and Brett aside from being damn good on two wheels, were damn good to me. I was very much out of my element at the sourlands, and they never let me drop to far behind. Thanks!

O...and we finished the day with a delicious diner run off of 206. Just the meal i needed before bedtime. The day was well worth staying up 25 hours for. :) :)

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
good to hear that you got some sleep. fred had tried to take a nap in his car while brett and i looked for my gps, unfortunately we were only gone maybe 30-45 minutes i think.

as much as it seemed like i flew up that hill, i hit a new max heart rate going up it, so i suffered as well. the pipeline fire road was 350 ft in about 1/3 of a mile, which is really steep, especially considering there were a couple of spots where it levelled out a bit. from there we climbed another 200+ ft in about 2/3 of a mile in the woods. certainly a formidable climb for nj, and much more than i expected of the area after riding 6-mile. the elevation chart is kind of funny.

and funnier still, i think there was more elevation gain overall in 6-mile, because it's constant up and down, even though the high and low for the park are only about 75 ft apart.

J-Dro

anrothar said:
good to hear that you got some sleep. fred had tried to take a nap in his car while brett and i looked for my gps, unfortunately we were only gone maybe 30-45 minutes i think.

as much as it seemed like i flew up that hill, i hit a new max heart rate going up it, so i suffered as well. the pipeline fire road was 350 ft in about 1/3 of a mile, which is really steep, especially considering there were a couple of spots where it levelled out a bit. from there we climbed another 200+ ft in about 2/3 of a mile in the woods. certainly a formidable climb for nj, and much more than i expected of the area after riding 6-mile. the elevation chart is kind of funny.

and funnier still, i think there was more elevation gain overall in 6-mile, because it's constant up and down, even though the high and low for the park are only about 75 ft apart.

You guys took the fireroad up the hill at the sourlands? Thats the shortest way up but not the most fun. There is a bunch of singletrack off to the left of the fireroad that takes you to the top. It's still a climb but not the constant grind like the fireroad. You probably missed a couple of miles of singletrack going that route.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
ArmyOfNone said:
WoW! So today was a super day! The weather was beautiful. I was worried it would be freezing and that would make the ride not so much fun. Not the case.

Six mile was in about the best shape it has been in for quite some time. No mud! ChrisG would have enjoyed it, but then we would have been running thru like rabbits.

How Brett spotted Sean's gps...no clue but thank goodness he did.

We stopped at WaWa after six mile to refuel before we made our next stop.

None of us had a clue as to what to expect. Jeff...you are deff rite about the two being completely different parks. The sourlands was an amazing place! The most technical place i have ridden was chimney rock and i did not have the opportunity to make it thru the entire park. I dont think that they compare.

Rocks, rocks, rocks! Lets not even talk about the 650ft (i think) climb strait up hill! Never have i have ridden a climb that big and that long...especially with one gear! I think sean rode the climb with no hands :D Unbelievably fun. Cant wait to do it again.

Sean and Brett aside from being damn good on two wheels, were damn good to me. I was very much out of my element at the sourlands, and they never let me drop to far behind. Thanks!

O...and we finished the day with a delicious diner run off of 206. Just the meal i needed before bedtime. The day was well worth staying up 25 hours for. :) :)
My northwoods hillbilly heritage has given me the ability to track and find almost anything. Thanks to all for the tour.You're welcome up here in Sussex Co. anytime.................

anrothar

entirely thrilled
mtbdawgJeff said:
You guys took the fireroad up the hill at the sourlands? Thats the shortest way up but not the most fun. There is a bunch of singletrack off to the left of the fireroad that takes you to the top. It's still a climb but not the constant grind like the fireroad. You probably missed a couple of miles of singletrack going that route.

we crossed to the left, but went left on that trail instead of right. i saw on the map we could have gone more, but i figured for someone on a singlespeed, their first time riding really tech stuff would be alot more pleasant if it wasn't uphill. i kinda liked the fireroad climb though. up our way and climbs that steep are usually washed out heavilly by the weather and vehicles with a bit more torque than us...

Top Bottom