Stephens State Park Conditions

Over the Bars

Big Tree down across halley toe about half way up
IMG_20201013_171024.jpg

xc62701

Like was posted in Mooch - Trails are in good shape but leafy! Some of the more frequented trails are beaten down "a little" where as the others have quite the bed of leaves to get through. Sometimes route finding can be a little tricky. It's still fun but the leaves keep you guessing as to traction and hidden babyheads. I had the place all to myself yesterday morning!

Leaves are on , but it is a beautiful time of the year. A couple E-bikes and loose dogs on both sides of the musconetcong but everyone seemed friendly enough.

100 cars between Continental and the Gate yesterday. I guess it was fun while it lasted. Saw one ebike , thought I heard another , 4 unleashed dogs. Conditions were great though.

jackx

I rode Stephens on Saturday and was surprised that that the leaves were packed-down fairly well. And there were not nearly as many sticks as I feared from the above post. Conditions were great

I didn't see too many people, but I've done that before where SSP seemed desolate, but on Strava Flyby I could see MANY people nearby, but never crossing paths in person.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rode Friday and today. Conditions are great. Yes, lots of leaves tho. Such is the season called autumn. Was worried about finding parking at iron gate but we must've lucked out because we had no issues with parking.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
2 trees down at the beginning of sunset trail. At the rumbley climb side. Kinda surprised how well beaten in trails were and then some like sunset looked skipped.

jackx

Trestle Trail, Blue Rock Trail, Pink - Lower Maze **** MUD **** This will be an issue thru Apr. Especially after rain or winter thaw ( 28 degrees and sunny ).
Thanks for the warning. This is good to know as the topside of SSP was dry Nov.27. Although stream crossings on blue and Pre-Cooler were pretty high.

Over the Bars

Deffinitly rideable I just left and saw 3 separate riders. You just need to pick your trails wisely. No tressel, seperentine, lower maze, tilcon lake trial to name a few. But there are plenty of trails that are good to go. Wear some bright colors doesn't matter where you go there are hunters in the woods everywhere this week.

rick81721

Lothar
Deffinitly rideable I just left and saw 3 separate riders. You just need to pick your trails wisely. No tressel, seperentine, lower maze, tilcon lake trial to name a few. But there are plenty of trails that are good to go. Wear some bright colors doesn't matter where you go there are hunters in the woods everywhere this week.

More details on which ones are good? Haven't been there in awhile

Over the Bars

Screenshot_20201210-170606~3.png
Screenshot_20201210-170606~3.png

Park at one of the lots circled in purple and you should be pretty good. I parked at the one at the top of the map. To name a few Tippie rock, the rake, pre rake, pre cooler, esteus hood, land of the lost, leroy , pepes are mostly packed leaves they will be wet leaves but there's no crazy mud like all the central jersey trails are right now. On a few of these trials there is one or two spots that are wet but they are pretty much always wet in those few spots where your crossing a spring. The earlier in the day the better before everything starts to defrost. Avoid everything I put red lines through for sure they will most likely be mud bowls.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions