Stephens State Park Conditions

jackx

There's a sizable fallen tree across "THE" Golden Trail, located a few hundred feet from the terminus with White and the Golden Extension.

TPI_Elky

Any guess how it might be this afternoon? Hoping to get out for a ride. I usually ride around Tilcon, Trestle Trail, Mazes, etc.

Or would the other side (from Station Rd) be better?

Robin

Any guess how it might be this afternoon? Hoping to get out for a ride. I usually ride around Tilcon, Trestle Trail, Mazes, etc.

Or would the other side (from Station Rd) be better?
I rode from Station yesterday. Stayed up top on White and Blue. There was still some snow off Blue and Golden but leaf cover did wonders for the trails. I'd avoid the bottom trails.

Mildly Wild

Tree down across Lower Maze shortly after right turn coming from Middle (Upper?) Maze. Second downhill just 5 yds after the next right turn. In a very dangerous spot as it cannot be seen until one rounds that turn and starts down the hill. Looking out for ice so I was not going that fast but had a very hard time getting the bike stopped for this. Tree is about 11" in diameter but also about 8" off the ground. Also another large one down about 1/4 mi further on LW angled about 45 deg to trail so jumping is difficult.

JORBA Stephens

Lower trails are significantly mudded out. Trestle, Pink, Blue Rock Trail. Unless you end your ride before the temp goes above 32 your bike will be trashed. Land of the lost area is mud and has been trashed by quads.

xc62701

Lower trails are significantly mudded out. Trestle, Pink, Blue Rock Trail. Unless you end your ride before the temp goes above 32 your bike will be trashed. Land of the lost area is mud and has been trashed by quads.
Yes quad activity there and middle of the maze as well. Two trees down up top. One on the west side of the golden trail, and one on the golden extension right by the fireroad crossing.

JORBA Stephens

Yes quad activity there and middle of the maze as well. Two trees down up top. One on the west side of the golden trail, and one on the golden extension right by the fireroad crossing.
Quad activity can be reported retroactively by using the njdep app..... I encourage it.

stilluf

Fast frozen conditions this morning. Sad to see so many ruts on Trestle trail- bad Mtb’ers!!:mad: Also decent sized tree down on Trestle , close to trail head , prob needs a chain saw.

krink

Eddie Munster
Any update on Stephens? Im hearing about significant Motorized damage. Anyone up there this weekend?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pretty disappointing to see how rutted up the trails are, guess thats what happens when a park becomes popular. Judging by NJmtb on FB its a running joke to some. Sure the ruts repair eventually but it doesn't stop the widening of those areas. Asshats are everywhere, and don't get me started with the amount of garbage along the road at parking. It really makes me sad and wish that the park was like it was even just 5 years ago.

DanBrodeen

Pretty disappointing to see how rutted up the trails are, guess thats what happens when a park becomes popular. Judging by NJmtb on FB its a running joke to some. Sure the ruts repair eventually but it doesn't stop the widening of those areas. Asshats are everywhere, and don't get me started with the amount of garbage along the road at parking. It really makes me sad and wish that the park was like it was even just 5 years ago.
Saw the same thing happen at Glen Park. Huge groups from out of town showing up when the trails are practically unridable. Then they post pics of their muddy bikes on social media. Completely oblivious that what they are doing is ruining the trails they drove 2 hours to ride.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was out there on Sunday for a quick loop. Definitive signs on quads on ST that are starting to do legitimate damage. Such a shame.

Had also seen the rutting on the lower trails.

Not sure how we can get those who have no desire to help maintain the trails actually care about not damaging the trails.

People suck.

xc62701

Great conditions today. Still a tree across the golden extension that’s low but passable. The rest was decent. Snowy and solid. I was nervous about going by the trestle since iron gate was a little muddy but the cloud cover must have kept it cold since it was rock solid. I could feel the ruts underneath the crunchy snow layer. Get it this week while the Arctic blast is here.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions