Serviceguy's angst...or how I cope with life by cobbling bikes (not a thread about pizza).

So, I've been riding my full rigid Elma in Ringwood lately increasing the technical level of the trails being ridden (it's all relative, it's still me riding after all) to include some serious chunky rocks and so far so good, besides not having any feeling left in my arms and OTBing at full speed on a log I bunny hopped a thousand times before. The 2.8" tires do make a difference and still no pedal stroke. So far so good. Love this bike.

I’ve been bitten by the SS bug so I decided to convert the El Mar back to it’s original configuration using cr he original wheels and a lighter drivetrain 28/16 instead of the stock 32/18. So 29x2.35 are back on and the 27.5x2.8 are back on the rack. I can’t say that I could clear all the climbs that I usually do without issue even with this bike, because I could not. But it does feel more good, well until I hit some chunk and it felt weird...I probably did not tighten the alternator plates after switching to QR so now the rear wheel has moved toward the left at the BB. The bike is also creaking so I’ll have to check headset and crancks, which I did not do after riding WayWay last week. I’ll probably convert the 27.5+ wheel set to SS, as that wheel set was more cushioned than the 29 one, but I’ll ride it like this for a while, possible on less chunky trails.
72ECD617-0220-4364-B0FE-69C5040E9A70.jpeg

If you have a creak, double check that scratch on your fork we saw at Wayway, to make sure it's really just a scratch.

I’ve been bitten by the SS bug so I decided to convert the El Mar back to it’s original configuration using cr he original wheels and a lighter drivetrain 28/16 instead of the stock 32/18. So 29x2.35 are back on and the 27.5x2.8 are back on the rack. I can’t say that I could clear all the climbs that I usually do without issue even with this bike, because I could not. But it does feel more good, well until I hit some chunk and it felt weird...I probably did not tighten the alternator plates after switching to QR so now the rear wheel has moved toward the left at the BB. The bike is also creaking so I’ll have to check headset and crancks, which I did not do after riding WayWay last week. I’ll probably convert the 27.5+ wheel set to SS, as that wheel set was more cushioned than the 29 one, but I’ll ride it like this for a while, possible on less chunky trails.
View attachment 138355
2.4 WT should help with the feeling weird in the rough.

If you have a creak, double check that scratch on your fork we saw at Wayway, to make sure it's really just a scratch.

it's not there anymore, it went away with a light pass of 2500 grit sandpaper. I'll double check if it came back. I have already a new to me fork to replace the old if that is the case.

Assuming the same tire construction, do you really feel a difference between 2.35" and 2.4"?

Ony asking because I just put 3.0's on my SS and can't ever see running a smaller width.

I would say no, but @stb222 specifically mentioned WT, which is a different tire construction (at least according to tire manufacturer). I've had 2.6 WT on my Knolly and it was a much better feeling than the 2.30 tires I originally used on that bike, but again also a different size (I can't wait to test the 27.5x3.00 I have on it now).

I don't have a set of wheels to use on the El Mar with WT tires as of now, so I'll stick to what I have or 'update' to SS the 27.5+ with 2.8 Reckons that I was using with gears on the same bike.

Assuming the same tire construction, do you really feel a difference between 2.35" and 2.4"?

Ony asking because I just put 3.0's on my SS and can't ever see running a smaller width.
It makes sense to have a wheelset ready for every possible condition. 2.35-2.8. So 2.35, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 and 2.8. All sizes mentioned in WT also. Possibly have different tires to select from as well. If you include front and rear, that is a lot of potential combinations to achieve the ultimate in tire selection for any ride.

It makes sense to have a wheelset ready for every possible condition. 2.35-2.8. So 2.35, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 and 2.8. All sizes mentioned in WT also. Possibly have different tires to select from as well. If you include front and rear, that is a lot of potential combinations to achieve the ultimate in tire selection for any ride.
As of now I have at east 3 wheel sets for each bike (minus the fat bike that is, hoping to fix that soon). I even have a wheel set (boost) I don't have a bike for (yet)...as per manufacturer the WT format is supposed to work with a wider rim, which is where a bunch of variables come into play. I usually stick to manufacturer recommendations (i.e. Maxxis recommends 30-35 mm internal width for WT tires, or Stan's recommends 35 internal width rims to be used with 2.8 to 3.0 tires, etc.)

Kind of double posting as the pictures are already in the what you have done to your bike thread...but they belong here. I finally caved in to the highly advertised virtues of 29+ fat biking and build what seems to me the hundredth wheel set to quench that thirst...Hope Fatsno hubs, WTB KOM Tough i45 rims and WTB Ranger 3.0 light tires (not really my style, they seem too XCesque, it that’s enough a word). The bike now really looks like it belongs on the Frontier as part of a caravan train and being ridden by a pioneer, even though it wouldn’t do much in terms of protection from an attacking posse of outlaws or Indians, ask Custer, he rode one.

792E5E06-3A94-48AB-8CC6-9FA876219693.jpeg

007F52CF-69C8-4440-9B7A-715547CEFBF7.jpeg

Kind of double posting as the pictures are already in the what you have done to your bike thread...but they belong here. I finally caved in to the highly advertised virtues of 29+ fat biking and build what seems to me the hundredth wheel set to quench that thirst...Hope Fatsno hubs, WTB KOM Tough i45 rims and WTB Ranger 3.0 light tires (not really my style, they seem too XCesque, it that’s enough a word). The bike now really looks like it belongs on the Frontier as part of a caravan train and being ridden by a pioneer, even though it wouldn’t do much in terms of protection from an attacking posse of outlaws or Indians, ask Custer, he rode one.

View attachment 143886
View attachment 143887

How do they feel vs typically 29ers

How do they feel vs typically 29ers
They feel plus(h)...J/K, they haven't touched ground with me on the bike yet, had to finish the living room front floor first, grouting was done yesterday so I thought I would be off the hook. Turned out being an incorrect estimate of my standing as now I am due the installation of a new fireplace hearth and reinforcing of the surrounding floor, which requires leveling with the newly installed tile floor in the front. I expect the following jobs being requested in rapid succession after that:

- fireplace repointing (preparation for wood burning stove insert installation)

- front living room ceiling and paneling replacement with sheet rock (includes sealing and mold proofing of the roof above said ceiling, if debris accumulate over the roof vent for that area there's a slow leak). Comes with adding recessed lighting.

- grading the dirt around the house foundations and possibly paving the immediate perimeter of the house

- relocating the mail box to the main driveway, removing steps at the curbside and path behind them leading straight to the house. It looks horrible and it's not safe, the stone/concrete mix used to build the pathway was crashed during the installation of the gas line by the big ass excavator used by PSE&G. This will also require rebuild the dry stone wall to replace the steps.

I have more coming but this should keep me busy until 2025, by then I will probably live in a prison camp for once owning an oil furnace...so no worries.

I've only got away with building this wheels because my wife (rightly) assumed it was my way to grieve the loss of Bubba...I'll let you know after Thanksgiving, I'm having a busy week at work/home.

Picture of Bubba for remembrance of a nice kitty, he will be missed, always...
12439214_10207865690015411_955076124468335897_n.jpg

Last edited:
So...winter shoes. Yesterday I was with my feet in the snow, a lot, and I am happy to report that for the whole length of my short ride (about 7 miles) my feet never got cold or wet even though I was wearing just mtb five ten impact pro shoes with a thicker cotton pair of socks. Just not to push my good luck I’ve ordered a set of cheap leg gaiters for future adventures, we’ll see how that goes. BRW the temperature showing on my phone (Weather Channel) was 21F.

So...winter shoes. Yesterday I was with my feet in the snow, a lot, and I am happy to report that for the whole length of my short ride (about 7 miles) my feet never got cold or wet even though I was wearing just mtb five ten impact pro shoes with a thicker cotton pair of socks. Just not to push my good luck I’ve ordered a set of cheap leg gaiters for future adventures, we’ll see how that goes. BRW the temperature showing on my phone (Weather Channel) was 21F.
I was a hold out for awhile moons ago. It will make sense for boots at some point with how much you are riding.

On our last ride, i had my normal shoes on but they are waterproof so that helps a bit with insulation. Below 25° is when my hands and feet need the extra protection

Back
Top Bottom