Serviceguy's angst...or how I cope with life by cobbling bikes (not a thread about pizza).

serviceguy

I am on the market for a fat bike, pretty much set to go with a Framed Alaskan Carbon 27.5" mostly due to the price, I also like the Salsa Beargrease.

The one thing that is holding me back is the size, according to Framed website and customer support I should go with a 18", but I gave a quick spin to @Patrick 's Framed and his 17" felt extremely small (granted is not the same exact model). Needless to say the 18" is recommended for riders 5'7" to 5'11" and I am just a little bit over 5'11", but comparing the geometry numbers of the 18" that Framed is recommending it looks way smaller than my large Knolly, which fits me just right. Different bikes, I know.

How does sizing on a fat bike work, I mean you want it to be on the smaller size for maneuverability ?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am same hieght as you and ride a 19.5 farley but was on a RSD mayor medium.
IMO you Probably should go with a bear grease as you can test ride one, and have a happy LBS experience for you and them :)

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How does sizing on a fat bike work, I mean you want it to be on the smaller size for maneuverability ?

I'm 5' 10" and am usually between a medium and a large. I owned a large Specialized bike, and I had rented two large Specialized bikes before, so I assumed I would want a large Fatboy. However, a friend that is the same height told me he had a medium Fatboy with a slightly longer stem on it, and he let me try it out. I ended up going with the medium based on that test ride, although I probably would have been ok with a large. My advice is to try it out first if you can, but you'll probably be good either way.

serviceguy

I am same hieght as you and ride a 19.5 farley but was on a RSD mayor medium.
IMO you Probably should go with a bear grease as you can test ride one, and have a happy LBS experience for you and them :)

Unfortunately I will have to rely on the $1000 saved for happiness. I would love to buy a beargrease otherwise.

serviceguy

I'm 5' 10" and am usually between a medium and a large. I owned a large Specialized bike, and I had rented two large Specialized bikes before, so I assumed I would want a large Fatboy. However, a friend that is the same height told me he had a medium Fatboy with a slightly longer stem on it, and he let me try it out. I ended up going with the medium based on that test ride, although I probably would have been ok with a large. My advice is to try it out first if you can, but you'll probably be good either way.

I was hoping you would chime in. Unfortunately testing is out of question, they appear to only sell online. I tested the 26" version but I can't really make any of that because of the different design. Also,it appears that the frame of the 26" is the same for many different 'manufacturer' (Framed, Motobecane, Fyxation etc.) so I am assuming is a generic Chinese frame that gets rebranded. I could not find a match on e-bay for the 27.5" though, but I would expect it to be the same.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would keep in mind that farley fatboy and beargrease ride like a trail bike. The RSD was more of a snow bike geo IMO. To make sense of that statement it felt more upright and not as nimble ( I know an oxymoron statement ). Pretty sure that framed is more snow bike then trail. Maybe I am wrong it's just my opinion and dare to have @jimvreeland chime in as he will say whatever I ride is junk :)

serviceguy

I would keep in mind that farley fatboy and beargrease ride like a trail bike. The RSD was more of a snow bike geo IMO. To make sense of that statement it felt more upright and not as nimble ( I know an oxymoron statement ). Pretty sure that framed is more snow bike then trail. Maybe I am wrong it's just my opinion and dare to have @jimvreeland chime in as he will say whatever I ride is junk :)

The idea is to ride in the snow and sand, I've already git the trails covered. Thanks for that bit of info, kind of what I was looking for.

I guess he will say the same of what I ride from now on...unless he can help me get an interesting price on a beargrease... @jimvreeland ???

BTW, I contacted Framed and The-House.com requesting the same info...the same guy replied, with the same info (hello, call me Captain Obvious)...awkward!

one piece crank

The idea is to ride in the snow and sand, I've already git the trails covered. Thanks for that bit of info, kind of what I was looking for.

Regarding what Matty said, just keep in mind that NJ doesnt get 40-inches of snow base, so you'll basically be trail riding in cold (or sandy) conditions. In absence of a test-ride, consider a careful and dilligent geometry comparision!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My (2015) Beargrease is a largish large. I'm the same length (not girth, sadly) as Jim N and have much the same fit issues. IMHO, a longer top tube can't hurt you too much but a short one can feel cramped. The newer geometry frames are designed around a shorter stem so that's not always the best way to adjust fit.

Anyway, my BG is pretty long in the seat tube as well as the top tube. I like the fit as it naturally puts you over the back of the bike reducing OTB opportunities. For a fatbike, it handles almost like a mountain bike. if you want to stop by one day and try it out let me know.

I do know a guy with (I think) a Framed Minnesota and it's tall but pretty short in the top tube for the size. Kinda old skool geo designed around a long stem.

serviceguy

My (2015) Beargrease is a largish large. I'm the same length (not girth, sadly) as Jim N and have much the same fit issues. IMHO, a longer top tube can't hurt you too much but a short one can feel cramped. The newer geometry frames are designed around a shorter stem so that's not always the best way to adjust fit.

Anyway, my BG is pretty long in the seat tube as well as the top tube. I like the fit as it naturally puts you over the back of the bike reducing OTB opportunities. For a fatbike, it handles almost like a mountain bike. if you want to stop by one day and try it out let me know.

I do know a guy with (I think) a Framed Minnesota and it's tall but pretty short in the top tube for the size. Kinda old skool geo designed around a long stem.

Thanks for the offer. Where are you located? PM me if you prefer...

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Denville. If you do wanna come by one day shoot me a PM and we'll trade deets.

Currently BG geometry is slightly different, actually a little smaller on the ETT and seat tube lengths. Reach and stack are within 5mm though.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
If you’re using mainly for snow and deep sand you want to be able to ride with very little weight on the front end for float... or your gonna dig the front end in and you’ll stall. Which of course is the same for non fatbikes in snow/sand.:)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
When you hear people in the lunch room talking about if a fat bike rides like a fat bike or a trail bike
dadaa26368370b0cd981c9435ac7928b.gif

I looked into the future and @serviceguy just started a "what tire" thread

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
If you’re using mainly for snow and deep sand you want to be able to ride with very little weight on the front end for float... or your gonna dig the front end in and you’ll stall. Which of course is the same for non fatbikes in snow/sand.:)
So no front suspension fork?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I am on the market for a fat bike, pretty much set to go with a Framed Alaskan Carbon 27.5" mostly due to the price, I also like the Salsa Beargrease.

The one thing that is holding me back is the size, according to Framed website and customer support I should go with a 18", but I gave a quick spin to @Patrick 's Framed and his 17" felt extremely small (granted is not the same exact model). Needless to say the 18" is recommended for riders 5'7" to 5'11" and I am just a little bit over 5'11", but comparing the geometry numbers of the 18" that Framed is recommending it looks way smaller than my large Knolly, which fits me just right. Different bikes, I know.

I'm not reading the rest of this, you are a large.

SmooveP

If you plan to ride in deep-ish ungroomed snow, standover becomes an issue as you'll be doing some stopping and starting. I'm usually in between a small and medium, but went with a small on my fatbike for this reason. I did end up adding a layback seatpost and a slightly longer stem to get the fit just right.

Top Bottom