Serviceguy's angst...or how I cope with life by cobbling bikes (not a thread about pizza).

i know time math isn't like regular math but wouldn't this leave you time for a 20 minute bike?

could sleep in oos jersey and chamois so no overhead in the morning ;)

don't ask yourself for an hour if you only have 20-30. start there. get back in the habit, it is self-rewarding, thus that little voice might turn it into 45 minutes soon enough.

the hardest part of any task is usually starting it.

Sorry, I mistyped again. I set the alarm at 5:30 a.m. so I could have an hour to exercise, but never actually wake up before 6:30 a.m.

Apparently I developed the skill to change the alarm settings while still sleeping. If only I could train while still sleeping that would be ideal, as it gets really boring after a while.

first - as i said before - start asking the bossman what is going to slip, because you all can't be working 12+ hour days.
it is ok in the short-term, but not ok as a corporate strategy. Bring up the family, quality of life thing. How you don't mind
working hard, and appreciate the time away, but it can't continue.

second - go to bed at 9:00.
third - wake up to BTS.

first - as i said before - start asking the bossman what is going to slip, because you all can't be working 12+ hour days.
it is ok in the short-term, but not ok as a corporate strategy. Bring up the family, quality of life thing. How you don't mind

third - wake up to BTS.

Its the commute... WFH!

third - wake up to BTS.

1st -bossman is at the office before I get there and most of the time he's still there when I leave, and he has a commute similar to mine but on I95, he's been doing it for more than 25 years now so not much sympathy to be expected there...besides, I've been given much slack with my family situation during the past few years so it wouldn't feel like the right thing to do. I do agree with your observation in general though.

2nd - that's when chickens go to sleep. I need to spend some quality time with my better half, I feel bad that she's only got the leftovers of my day.

3rd - WTF?

Its the commute... WFH!

This, 2 hours / day is best case scenario in my case. I did manage a Secaucus / Ringwood commute under the 45 mins mark in a couple of occasions but it's definitely not the norm.

Well, Elma is technically rideable as of last night. I'm not 100% happy with the cable routing, the frame is specifically designed for SS and I decided to go 11 speed + dropper post for the time being, so I added three stick-on c-clamp tabs (which I painted white to match the frame color) to the right seat stay and bundled the three housings running under the top tube. I probably need to bleed the brakes but they operate good enough as it is (they were installed on my K2 frame) and the shifter goes through all the 11 gears.

This is the full build list:

- 2014 Salsa El Mariachi steel frame size 19" (large) in white 12x142 rear axle
- Salsa Guide Stem 80mm
- Salsa Rustler carbon 740mm handlebar
- Salsa Firestarter carbon fork 15x100
- XT BL/BR-M785 brakes
- XT SL-M8000-B 11 speed shifter with i-spec-b interface
- XT RD-M8000-SGS long cage rear derailleur
- XT CS-M8000 11T-46T 11 Speed Cassette
- Race Face Next GL 175mm cranks with 28T Cinch chanring
- DMR V12 Mag pedals
- 2015 (?) Stan's Flow EX rims on Shimano Deore hubs
- Maxxis DHF/DHR II 3C Maxx Terra/EVO/TR 29"x2.3"
- PNW Pine 27.2mm / 110mm external Dropper Post
- Ergon SMA3 Saddle and GA2 Fat grips

Pictures to follow tomorrow when I can hopefully test in on the trails and take a few pictures where it belongs, in the wild!

Last edited:
Deore hubs?
Nothing wrong with them but what happened to DT Swiss?
Budget build. I bought these off @Magic . I Don’t think I can help myself though, so it’s very likely that in a few weeks I’ll order the hubs and build the 2 spare e532 that are sitting in the garage attic. If it wasn’t for this corona virus I would have done already but I need them shipped to Italy so probably not the best idea right now...who knows when I would be able to pick them up!

took the first spin this morning (btw, Ringwood is nice and frosty right now, I wish I could head out for a ride...maybe later, hopefully it stays like this). Did my usual obstacle course...the steps in front of the house were a little harsh! Feels light and snappy, I wonder how the non slack geometry holds on the trails. We’ll see soon!
54ECE32B-42D6-484A-A41C-07E04CE3F7E8.jpeg

A4422580-41AD-4E26-A611-9DB08F7D3524.jpeg

8FEBC0D5-8372-4DAC-9B16-4E7A8727A308.jpeg.jpg

71FB6B61-4DA6-4A2C-9A6A-994417980297.jpeg.jpg

Attachments

• 8FEBC0D5-8372-4DAC-9B16-4E7A8727A308.jpeg
    8FEBC0D5-8372-4DAC-9B16-4E7A8727A308.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 71FB6B61-4DA6-4A2C-9A6A-994417980297.jpeg
    71FB6B61-4DA6-4A2C-9A6A-994417980297.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
took the first spin this morning (btw, Ringwood is nice and frosty right now, I wish I could head out for a ride...maybe later, hopefully it stays like this). Did my usual obstacle course...the steps in front of the house were a little harsh! Feels light and snappy, I wonder how the non slack geometry holds on the trails. We’ll see soon!
View attachment 120348
View attachment 120349
View attachment 120353
View attachment 120354

Looks good - you and @Pearl can twin! (although i think he went SS)

What fork did you pick?

Looks good - you and @Pearl can twin! (although i think he went SS)

What fork did you pick?

Salsa Firestarter Carbon (non boost) off some trading group of FB, it's in good shape with only a scratch below the crown on the left. I am a sucker for coordinating colors, brands and what not. Plus it's not a bad fork I believe. I dig the black on white look now, I don't think I'm going to waste money having it painted white like I originally wanted to.

It kind of haunts me the fact that I don't have the original fork off the bike (I believe this thread could provide work to a team of psychiatrists for quite some time), but I'll have to live with that.

All in all I'm happy with it, always liked the El Mariachi and particularly this color scheme. I wish to be able and rock it in a SS configuration one day, I have the original wheels (even though it bothers me that the rear uses QR and the front through axle), @Pearl is much younger and fit than I am so I am sure he will enjoy his in any configuration more than I will.

P.S. are you doing that thing with the keyboard again?!?!

Salsa Firestarter Carbon (non boost) off some trading group of FB, it's in good shape with only a scratch below the crown on the left. I am a sucker for coordinating colors, brands and what not. Plus it's not a bad fork I believe. I dig the black on white look now, I don't think I'm going to waste money having it painted white like I originally wanted to.

It kind of haunts me the fact that I don't have the original fork off the bike (I believe this thread could provide work to a team of psychiatrists for quite some time), but I'll have to live with that.

All in all I'm happy with it, always liked the El Mariachi and particularly this color scheme. I wish to be able and rock it in a SS configuration one day, I have the original wheels (even though it bothers me that the rear uses QR and the front through axle), @Pearl is much younger and fit than I am so I am sure he will enjoy his in any configuration more than I will.

P.S. are you doing that thing with the keyboard again?!?!

are you using a wireless keyboard?

third - wake up to BTS.

Are these girls?

No full trail experience for Elma just yet, but managed to squeeze in about 7 miles of mixed hybrid duty and fire roads with the wife and her Dick’s special diamondback ( I am going to modify that thing to hell and back). Not sure if I was more excited for riding the new bike or for planting the seed of converting my better half to the dark side...she did enjoy it! Unfortunately she can’t ride on rough terrain so trails are not really a possibility but I’ll take anything over nothing!

Back
Top Bottom