Science is looking up

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Saw what must have been a SpaceX satellite train this morning. Until I googled it figured aliens were here and ready to grind us up for parts. Looked much more organic and ephemeral than the photos online. Wood recommend.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good catch - with the sun a bit below the horizon, it was probably back-lighting the plume.

Neat, and the timing matches up. I just happened to look up at the right moment! Maybe it was at satellite deployment? Looked more like this:

Patrick

Staff member
Can you see this like naked eye in the suburbs?

i guess i'm rural - from my house, it comes up over the sourland ridge, stays lowish, and heads east.
this one doesn't get too high - goes above the shadow of the earth, so can see the release against a dark background.
i'm thinking from the watch in wildcat would be a maybe? anything that looks over the ridges over rainbow lakes and south?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hrm. I’m not gonna be able to talk the kid into a ride especially if it’s a scrub. The old Aircraft Radio property is by far the best skywatching in the area but maybe not on a school night. Appreciate the info yo!

and scrubbed. Tomorrow

Patrick

Staff member
Hrm. I’m not gonna be able to talk the kid into a ride especially if it’s a scrub. The old Aircraft Radio property is by far the best skywatching in the area but maybe not on a school night. Appreciate the info yo!

and scrubbed. Tomorrow

it doesn't really go "up" - it goes more downrange. might not work
fun fact: my little league team was sponsored by RFL.

Top Bottom