Science is looking up

rlb

Anyone else seeing the giant ring around the moon? I'm guessing it's from some atmospheric conditions, or maybe even just clouds? Either way, I've never noticed this before. Crappy cell phone pic, not sure why it has so much artifact around the moon itself. I'm talking about the huge ring around the outside.

PXL_20201230_031700755.NIGHT.jpg

FastFreddy

My little brothers name I had etched on a chip that's in the Perseverance Rover lands on Mars in six days :)
My name is there already on the InSight Lander they actually let me use Phast Phreddy as my name LOL

Watch landing live 2/18 2:15 EST :

And send yours there on the next mission:

BoardingPass_MyNameOnMars_Mars2020.png

Zaskar

So I got a little something for your pay per view
Like Don King I've got the crazy hairdo
We've got cameras on Mars on space patrol
Controlled on Earth by remote control

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
the telemetry was really cool - they should have kept that on the screen.
thing is going 1,000 mph and pulls the chute.
(martian atmosphere density is less than earth, also doesn't extend as high)

it had cameras to id a landing spot using AI - hopefully they push that video tonight.
also looking forward to some of the sounds.

well done.

FastFreddy

There was another NASA site called eyes.nasa.gov that streamed the telemetry along with the computer animations of the landing in real time. It was pretty cool seeing it hit the drag of the atmosphere and going from 10-12,000mph down to a crawl after the chute came out and the thrusters kicked in just before it landed. You can go replay and watch the landing telemetry from all angles 1000 miles before landing.

https://eyes.nasa.gov/apps/mars2020...7.959-05:00&id=cruise_stage_separation&rate=0

ekuhn

There was another NASA site called eyes.nasa.gov that streamed the telemetry along with the computer animations of the landing in real time. It was pretty cool seeing it hit the drag of the atmosphere and going from 10-12,000mph down to a crawl after the chute came out and the thrusters kicked in just before it landed. You can go replay and watch the landing telemetry from all angles 1000 miles before landing.

https://eyes.nasa.gov/apps/mars2020...7.959-05:00&id=cruise_stage_separation&rate=0
This is a cool link!

rick81721

Lothar

I watched it live - the animation of the thrusters looked like red icicles. The whole thing reminded me of this

UFO-3.jpg

220px-PurportedUFO2.jpg

Top Bottom