Science is looking up

i guess i'm rural - from my house, it comes up over the sourland ridge, stays lowish, and heads east.
this one doesn't get too high - goes above the shadow of the earth, so can see the release against a dark background.
i'm thinking from the watch in wildcat would be a maybe? anything that looks over the ridges over rainbow lakes and south?

This is silly - what's the distance - 200 miles? We are 150 miles from NASA @ Cape Canaveral - no mountains in between. All we see is a small light going up (and sometimes SpaceX boosters coming back down).

This is silly - what's the distance - 200 miles? We are 150 miles from NASA @ Cape Canaveral - no mountains in between. All we see is a small light going up (and sometimes SpaceX boosters coming back down).

180 miles.
So you are comparing a delta 5 or falcon 9 going mostly up, to a sounding rocket?

Yes, it is a little light going up in the air, then it releases some chemicals which make a green cloud that turns purple (which we can't see)
Best we got up here unless hercules blows up again. (and i think they may have finally moved that)
Just maybe it inspires a kid to become a rocket scientist, or maybe an astro-biologist.
Or just a conspiracy theorist that knows they are seeding the atmosphere with neuro-activators which work in tandem
with the covid vaccine to track everyone.

One of these days I'll make the trip to VA or the Space Coast to see one of these.

Last edited:
180 miles.
So you are comparing a delta 5 or falcon 9 going mostly up, to a sounding rocket?

Yes, it is a little light going up in the air, then it releases some chemicals which make a green cloud that turns purple (which we can't see)

Yep just like these new fangled contraptions called jets - ever hear of them? When you look up in the night sky you see what looks like a planet = only it moves! And if you are in really dark skies, you can see what looks like a dim star - but it also moves. Satellites! Whoop de friggen doo

tenor (1).gif

PS have a Cape Canaveral launch up close on the bucket list

Best we got up here unless hercules blows up again. (and i think they may have finally moved that)
Just maybe it inspires a kid to become a rocket scientist, or maybe an astro-biologist.
Or just a conspiracy theorist that knows they are seeding the atmosphere with neuro-activators which work in tandem
with the covid vaccine to track everyone.

One of these days I'll make the trip to VA or the Space Coast to see one of these.
Please move to the correct thread:

Canned again

Tried to check it out last night. Latest update said launch 8:53. I got out on the lanai to watch and sure enough, low on the NE horizon I saw a green glow last about 5 seconds, wink out, then another - repeated 3 or 4 times.

Then I found out it was scrubbed at the last minute - too cloudy over Bermuda. I guess I saw UFOs... or fireworks 😃

Tried to check it out last night. Latest update said launch 8:53. I got out on the lanai to watch and sure enough, low on the NE horizon I saw a green glow last about 5 seconds, wink out, then another - repeated 3 or 4 times.

Then I found out it was scrubbed at the last minute - too cloudy over Bermuda. I guess I saw UFOs... or fireworks 😃
They cancelled on Thursday because some clown ran into a support for the rocket. NASA looks like a bunch of clowns on this one.

They cancelled on Thursday because some clown ran into a support for the rocket. NASA looks like a bunch of clowns on this one.

Very cool tonight - couldn't see the rocket plume until it was well above the horizon, then saw the gas release.
It was green much longer than expected.

This isn't stellar, but it's still science.
180904088_10226978006782999_838384252263467412_n.jpg
The “HOPE” Experiment :
During a brutal study at Harvard in the 1950s, Dr. Curt Richter placed rats in a pool of water to test how long they could tread water.
On average they'd give up and sink after 15 minutes.
But right before they gave up due to exhaustion, the researchers would pluck them out, dry them off, let them rest for a few minutes - and put them back in for a second round.
In this second try - how long do you think they lasted?
Remember - they had just swam until failure only a few short minutes ago...
How long do you think?
Another 15 minutes?
10 minutes?
5 minutes?
No!
60 hours!
That's not an error.
That's right! 60 hours of swimming.
The conclusion drawn was that since the rats BELIEVED that they would eventually be rescued, they could push their bodies way past what they previously thought impossible.
I will leave you with this thought:
If hope can cause exhausted rats to swim for that long, what could a belief in yourself and your abilities, do for you?
Remember what you’re capable of. Remember why you’re here.
Keep swimming.

Was on the River early and it seemed like the fog might blow up, so boogied on up to the ridge that is almost level with Baldpate. Was going to check another spot but ran out of time. The peak view was actually before sunrise. Used the camera+ app on iPhone 11 Pro and dropped the iso way down and adjusted the exposure. Happy with how it turned out.

A4634CA0-0F0D-41D0-BEF3-399819AD5FEB.jpeg5CFFE754-A838-4280-9FED-C34BEEF65C4B.jpegE9397FC3-7DCE-4E4F-865B-D7E0E07A5FD4.jpeg

Attachments

• 0260E47A-3C31-4D40-A6B3-E72EF4E118A1.jpeg
    0260E47A-3C31-4D40-A6B3-E72EF4E118A1.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom