Sad news

Keefe

4 Hours Ago #1
EDDIE JONES
The water's fine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is with a heavy heart that I tender my resignation as supermoderator of MTBR....When I started my new obsession 7 years ago (mountain biking) I got into it totally...I often came to MTBR to read info on the best bikes and parts and to join other riders in what I considered to be a vibrant, healthy, cycling community....And it was while here that I was entrusted with the position of Super Moderator, a job, although totally voluntary, I truly enjoyed doing. I volunteered to be the Moderator of F88, the red headed children of MTBR. It was a collection of some of the smartest, wittiest, most humorous, sarcastic people that I have run across in years and I had many a fun discussion with them...Unfortunately, things had happened before my time that continued to simmer. Old resentments that bubbled to the surface from time to time....There was an innocuous thread in a post long ago that a bike retailer took offense to and started a war of words with f88. Kinda like coming to a gunfight armed only with a knife...After numerous threats and bannings, search function was removed from f88 and bannings were issued. Resentments simmered. In that time, I became quite fond of the irreverent personalities in f88 and have planned rides with them and moderated the forum and kept it in line as good as I could...Then this retailer had a problem that, while minor, was a problem nonetheless. It was posted in f88 then the trouble started. While at first denying the problem, when it became obvious that the problem would not just disappear, only then was the problem acknowledged and a solution sought and offered. Again, if the post had not been made in f88, the problem would not have been found. After complaints were made, threads were sanitized or deleted and bannings issued...some for nothing other than questioning the attempt to cover up the problem...some only made suggestions on supply side management. The bannings, IMHO, were not fair and it is out of protest that I resign....I have tremendous respect for the other mods and super mods on this site and feel that if opinions and discussion were quelled on their forums, they to would come to the defense of their respective forum....It is a matter of credibility, and credibility and truth mean a lot to me. I hope the bike retailer is proud of himself...he has done what no one thought could be done...destroyed the spirit of an entire site...Some of you may not have liked f88 and some of you may not have posted in f88. But when this kind of thing happens in your forums, think of it this way

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I'm not so sure the bizarre interweb battles of MTBR need to bleed over onto this forum. However, it is moderately entertaining to watch grown men and women get so worked up over an internet mountain bike forum. I love a carefully crafted, heart-wrenching mod resignation post as much as the next guy...

Keefe

Sure you do it's one less to worry about

Sorry for the long title. But I've been thinking about this for a while. Mtbr has developed into a virtual society, as such clans have developed -we could even call them tribes. There's a degree of rivalry between clans -as in the real world. F88 ended up being the outsider, no offense, but we were sort of the Jews of mtbr. People hated f88 for no good reason, there were all kinds of false stereotypes going on, etc...

Eventually, we faced persecution -because we pissed off a "powerful" nutjob. Now, the way the admins have been handling repression is again an e-mirror of the real world: agitator were sent to "jail" -temporary bans- and when that didn't work, summarily executed -permanent ban. We were even threatened with being kicked out of our land and dispersed through the other forums. Virtual society mirroring the real society?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
7 posts and you're already dragging mtbr bullsh!t drama over here? who gives a f@*k?

I am with you.

All you see over there is people hiding behind screen names and mu slinging.

Here we know most folks from the rides and TM days that we have been on together.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
this is the kind of crap that made me stop posting to the jeep forums.
can't we all just get along :)

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
see, some of us work. some of us have families. some of us even actually ride our bikes. i have no time e-nonsense with a bunch of people who hide behind a screen and wage e-wars over e-disputes that mean virtually nothing. fact is, people, most people anyway, will not ever say to your face what they say in forums. what's the risk? bad mouth a dude in montana and what happens? zero, aka e-backlash.

it's different here. we're a smaller community. we actually ride together. a lot of us know each other. if you throw someone under the bus, you better have a good reason b/c there is a better than average chance you're going to run into them at some point. at least if you stay.

so, all that said, what if f88? i dunno. someone pass the cheetos.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
this is the kind of crap that made me stop posting to the jeep forums.
can't we all just get along :)

what happened, the hard core west coast guys from the hammers couldn't understand why anyone, anywhere would consider having a dana 35 under their jeep? no lockers? psssst! forget it. you may as well own a civic.

no idea what you're talking about... :D

walter

Fourth Party
I thought he was going to talk about the fact that Titus was sold, who gives a rats ass about that horse shit anyway.

Keefe

OK, OK I got it

I'll only concentrate from now on to that little comfort zone you like to stay in. Sure... stay in the circle jerk or forever be frowned upon here. Is that the message? Sounds like incest to me.

Theres other news and it relates to MTB and the way you get MTB news. BTW the posts before didn't come from MTBR and they are revelant to the what and how you read your posts here.

I'll bet you own an IBEX?

walter

Fourth Party
Did you guys and gals know they lowered the speed limit from 65 to 55 on the GSP between mile markers 100-80. Just a heads up.

Top Bottom