Raritan 911: Robocop

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so when i went out to sedona with a bunch of peeps, we rented a mini van with a push button start. the one day we're packing up the bikes and the van was locked. so i grabbed the key from M to open the doors and threw the key in my pocket. she drives us to the drop off spot and i'm about to ride off when she asks for the key back... I'm like HOLY CRAP! i almost took off and left her stranded!

and steve has a story where he's outside working on stuff and notices a car nearby is running. thinks nothing of it and continues doing stuff... then realizes it's been running for like TWO HOURS. he walks over and shuts the car off. next time he sees the owner, he tells her what happened... and she's like CRAP must have hit the button or something.

i just like the idea of having a physical key... because i know i would do something stupid with push button.

i'm also OCD and do things like double check the stove is off... because i live with steve and.... well... that's it's own explanation.

You have a push button stove?

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so the key out of the car thing, the car will stay running till you shut it off in that case (at least all of the ones i have driven work this way) and will yell at you for having the key out of the car, if the car was shut off while you were getting bikes ect out, i can see how it would be an issue.

as for the car running, thats just pure ignorance on the owners part, the cars alert you when the key is removed from the passenger cabin and the ignition is still in the ON position, in order to miss that you would have to be . . . . well i dont even know what.

BMW had a nice compromise for a while (idk if they still do, @Carson can probably answer that) where you had to put the key fob in a slot to start the car.

and my truck is that way as well, the 'key' is just a fob that when you insert it in a knob it becomes the handle allows you to trigger the start that way instead (still your standard rotate to acc/run/start ect).

I bet that cars can eventually be setup to fingerprints or similar (like your phone) so that keys are a thing of the past entirely, who knows where it goes from here

BMW uses regular keyless fobs now. No spot on dash to plug it in any longer.

iman29

My car stays in the garage so I also leave the key in the door handle or cup holder for convenience. no you cant have my address. :p

it does Take time to get adjusted to the routine of the key fob push button thing but it has saved me a few times where I might have locked the key in the car - its idiot proof because it doesnt lock if you press the door button and the key is still inside. In fact this happened today at the pet store.

The annoying beeping sound is also a good reminder for when the key is in my pocket but the car is still running.

My middle son's car is from 2006 and the only one left that has the traditional key with a fob that only does lock/unlock. The funny thing is when I drive it, I tend to press the round button for his hazard lights because my car has the ignition button in the same spot.

Strugglebus

The last 5 years of my towing career were made quite difficult by the push button/ keyless phenomenon .

When cleaning up accidents most people would have the fob in their pocket or purse and would then leave the scene with the key. This would make unloading very annoying; not being able to re start the car or easily put it in neutral. Over time I was able to adapt and made it a point to always ask for the key fob as long as the person was present

I think that experience has made me hesitant towards keyless. Thankfully my 2019 VW still has a key and a clutch pedal.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
My car stays in the garage so I also leave the key in the door handle or cup holder for convenience. no you cant have my address. :p

it does Take time to get adjusted to the routine of the key fob push button thing but it has saved me a few times where I might have locked the key in the car - its idiot proof because it doesnt lock if you press the door button and the key is still inside. In fact this happened today at the pet store.

The annoying beeping sound is also a good reminder for when the key is in my pocket but the car is still running.

My middle son's car is from 2006 and the only one left that has the traditional key with a fob that only does lock/unlock. The funny thing is when I drive it, I tend to press the round button for his hazard lights because my car has the ignition button in the same spot.

pm me for address :D

just out of curiosity, has anyone tried pressing the button while the car is at highway speed?
We have electronic shifting, and i don't put the car in park, i just shut it off. hmmm.

@MissJR - i agree kindof. the car usually beeps if someone walks away with the keys. If the car knows that, it should refuse to go into gear?
maybe the fob should also start to beep if it is out of the car while the car is running? push notification on the phone (if it is your car?)
lots of human factors could be improved.

i can start the car and unlock it with an app, but can not drive it without the key. seems there should be some symmetry?
wonder if it might become phone centric vs biometric vs fob?

Last edited:

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
threw the key in my pocket. she drives us to the drop off spot and i'm about to ride off when she asks for the key back... I'm like HOLY CRAP! i almost took off and left her stranded!

@MissJR I have a similar story from October 2018...except I actually did take the fob!

I was going to Fruita to ride for a week and had an early am flight from Newark to Grand Junction, CO (shipped my bike out a week earlier via BikeFlights). I drove to EWR from home with my wife in the passenger seat and drove to the departure lanes for United. Hopped out, wife jumped into drivers seat yada yada yada. 20 minutes later as I get to the front of the TSA pre-check line I'm emptying my pockets and had an awful feeling---OMFG the key fob is in my pocket! And my wife is driving home at 5 am on the turnpike. I had no idea how long (or far) the car would run without the fob in the car after its started, but apparently its at least 40 miles LOL.

I called her from the security checkpoint and told her not to stop anywhere (not that most places open that early) because she would not be able to re-start the car as I had the key fob with me. She made it home and used her fob the rest of the week, but there were some moments of sheer panic when I realized that I still had it.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1580390157504-png.117686

Bring em back!
Oh man, I remember two keys.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I haven't had a "key" for my car in three years. @MrsMadisonDan hasn't had one in 6 years. There was one time the key got locked in the car. Our Mooch race in 2018. I had the key in my baggy shorts, which I kept on all morning while doing team stuffs until before my race. At that time, I rolled over to the car, opened the trunk, changed gloves, grabbed fresh water bottle, and ditched shorts and vest in the trunk. I hit the auto close button, which lowered the gate about 6 inches before it stopped and beeped angrily. I pushed it back up, and hit the button again. More beeping. At that point, I was frustrated, so I forced it closed by hand. After my race, I realized what I had done. I borrowed a phone (mine was in the car) and googled then called VW CarNet support. Gave them my credentials, and they remotely unlocked the car. If the car is running in the driveway and I need to grab something and get out of the car with the key in my pocket, warning lights on the dash go off, and more angry beeping.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I'm driving home from the climbing gym last night, and I'm coming down Route 10 through Morris Plains/Parsippany during the tail end of rush hour. We' moving but going pretty slowly. All of a sudden, I see cop lights flashing in my rear view mirror, and it's a cop directly behind me with his lights on. We were probably going 5-10mph, and the shoulder is pretty big, so I figure if he's in a hurry to get somewhere, he'd be flying up the shoulder. So I put my blinker on and pull over, and he pulls over behind me. I have no idea what I could have done, but figure I must have forgotten to renew my registration or something. So I turn all of my interior lights on, open my window all the way, and sit there with my hands on the wheel at 10 and 2, and wait.

I look in my side view mirror and see there are actually two cop cars behind me with their lights on. Cop gets out of the further back car and starts doing his slow walk up. He stops at the first cop car, and then it looks like he's waving his arm. I put my head out the window and turn my head as much as I can to try and see what's up, and he's waving forward and says I can go. I'm like, "uhh ok thanks" or something, and then I put my left blinker on and start crawling forward until someone lets me back in, and I drive home. Only thing I can think of is they saw my bike/mess in my car and thought I had bodies back there.

Top Bottom