Raritan 911: Robocop

We were back in @rick81721's neighborhood again last night. Same dude. He lives with his mom (who was away last week) who called 9-1-1. Dudeman was in the shower for over an hour and she became concerned that he may have harmed himself. Thankfully, he didn't. He's still bonkers and either not getting the right medications or not taking them. Mom was going to take him to his psychiatrist in the morning.

We hired a new officer, a female, who was assigned to my shift. The last officer I trained before being promoted is now her training officer. That makes me feel old. She got lucky she didn't have to wrestle around with a naked wet dude on her first night.

Screenshot_20200131-160525_Time Until.jpg

So I'm driving home from the climbing gym last night, and I'm coming down Route 10 through Morris Plains/Parsippany during the tail end of rush hour. We' moving but going pretty slowly. All of a sudden, I see cop lights flashing in my rear view mirror, and it's a cop directly behind me with his lights on. We were probably going 5-10mph, and the shoulder is pretty big, so I figure if he's in a hurry to get somewhere, he'd be flying up the shoulder. So I put my blinker on and pull over, and he pulls over behind me. I have no idea what I could have done, but figure I must have forgotten to renew my registration or something. So I turn all of my interior lights on, open my window all the way, and sit there with my hands on the wheel at 10 and 2, and wait.

I look in my side view mirror and see there are actually two cop cars behind me with their lights on. Cop gets out of the further back car and starts doing his slow walk up. He stops at the first cop car, and then it looks like he's waving his arm. I put my head out the window and turn my head as much as I can to try and see what's up, and he's waving forward and says I can go. I'm like, "uhh ok thanks" or something, and then I put my left blinker on and start crawling forward until someone lets me back in, and I drive home. Only thing I can think of is they saw my bike/mess in my car and thought I had bodies back there.

The second car stopped first car. Broken emergency light maybe?

I obviously can't be sure, but I imagine that I would probably smell them if there were bodies back there.

You never know, it's amazing how you can get used to smells otherwise unbearable to others just because the amount of time you spend inside the car.

We were back in @rick81721's neighborhood again last night. Same dude. He lives with his mom (who was away last week) who called 9-1-1. Dudeman was in the shower for over an hour and she became concerned that he may have harmed himself. Thankfully, he didn't. He's still bonkers and either not getting the right medications or not taking them. Mom was going to take him to his psychiatrist in the morning.

We hired a new officer, a female, who was assigned to my shift. The last officer I trained before being promoted is now her training officer. That makes me feel old. She got lucky she didn't have to wrestle around with a naked wet dude on her first night.

View attachment 117781

Ha I had a retirement countdown calendar too!

So the shift has been trying to drum up work for Paige, our new officer, and her field training officer. The best way to learn is to do.

Last night I stopped a pickup truck for failure to maintain a lane at about 3am. The driver was Mexican, he was wearing full Mariachi band attire, and had no driver's license other than his Mexican DL and passport. He's lived in Felmington for 15 years. There was a guitar and an accordion in the back seat.

See where this is going?

I called Paige and her FTO over to the stop and explained my reason for the stop and that he had no driver's license.

Paige and FTO ran the dude and confirm that he is not wanted and had no outstanding warrants. In the meantime, I spoke with dudeman who told me, yes, it is his accordion and he was driving home from a gig when I stopped him.

Paige and FTO walked back up to me. Normally, an unlicensed driver will be walking home (or calling for a ride) and his vehicle would be impounded.

The dude understood what's probably going to happen to him and his truck and I get the impression that he's been through it before and rolls with the punches. It's the cost of doing business in his situation. He can't get a NJ DL as he's not able to provide 6 points of ID. His truck was registered in another state that allows online registrations. He had valid insurance. Lucky for me (and him), I got behind him on a county roadway but he pulled off into a development when I stopped him and we're on a quiet side street.

I told the dude, "I'll make you a deal: you play a song on your accordion here, now, on the side of the road, and I'll leave the truck parked so a licensed driver can pick it up tomorrow. And we'll give you a ride home."

The look on Paige's face was priceless.

He took the deal. Happily.

So, three police officers listened to a song about life in Guadalajara at 3am. A private performance on a foggy, wet residential street. I really, really hoped it would wake someone up but the residents missed out.

The dude was issued his summons for unlicensed driver, locked up his truck, and Paige and her FTO gave him a ride home. Win-win.

I'm hoping Paige comes in to work tonight and hasn't quit.

Why no body cam video, disappointed.

It's always good getting pulled over by a cop getting close to retirement then a newbie.

I already emailed my Lieutenant and told him to avoid reviewing any car video from the night. It's in his best interest.

So pro.
PSA: always do this, amirite @Carson?

100% Spot on. And pull off the road to the right as far as possible.

I always pull over as much as possible. Also, like placing my hands crossed out of the open driver's window, palms visible facing back toward the officer. A NY trooper told me that I was overdoing it, but didn't give me a ticket.

So the shift has been trying to drum up work for Paige, our new officer, and her field training officer. The best way to learn is to do.

Last night I stopped a pickup truck for failure to maintain a lane at about 3am. The driver was Mexican, he was wearing full Mariachi band attire, and had no driver's license other than his Mexican DL and passport. He's lived in Felmington for 15 years. There was a guitar and an accordion in the back seat.

See where this is going?

I called Paige and her FTO over to the stop and explained my reason for the stop and that he had no driver's license.

Paige and FTO ran the dude and confirm that he is not wanted and had no outstanding warrants. In the meantime, I spoke with dudeman who told me, yes, it is his accordion and he was driving home from a gig when I stopped him.

Paige and FTO walked back up to me. Normally, an unlicensed driver will be walking home (or calling for a ride) and his vehicle would be impounded.

The dude understood what's probably going to happen to him and his truck and I get the impression that he's been through it before and rolls with the punches. It's the cost of doing business in his situation. He can't get a NJ DL as he's not able to provide 6 points of ID. His truck was registered in another state that allows online registrations. He had valid insurance. Lucky for me (and him), I got behind him on a county roadway but he pulled off into a development when I stopped him and we're on a quiet side street.

I told the dude, "I'll make you a deal: you play a song on your accordion here, now, on the side of the road, and I'll leave the truck parked so a licensed driver can pick it up tomorrow. And we'll give you a ride home."

The look on Paige's face was priceless.

He took the deal. Happily.

So, three police officers listened to a song about life in Guadalajara at 3am. A private performance on a foggy, wet residential street. I really, really hoped it would wake someone up but the residents missed out.

The dude was issued his summons for unlicensed driver, locked up his truck, and Paige and her FTO gave him a ride home. Win-win.

I'm hoping Paige comes in to work tonight and hasn't quit.

So in other words, I should expect to hear mariachi music some night at 3 am??

I always pull over as much as possible. Also, like placing my hands crossed out of the open driver's window, palms visible facing back toward the officer. A NY trooper told me that I was overdoing it, but didn't give me a ticket.
If I were a LEO I would cuff you right there and then, I would think ‘he must be guilty of something’...yeah, probably overdoing it...

We had a quick arrest today. As soon as the guy was in cuffs, he started complaining that he has to take a shit. Bad.

Ok, no problem. We drove him into the station without delay and he did his business. 500 wipes later, the toilet was completely backed up. I contact our facilities guy at Public Works who told me he'll come over after lunch to snake the toilet.

Paige and her FTO helped fingerprint and photograph the arrestee. He was released on a summons and on his way.

I tell her FTO to play along with me.

Me: Hey Paige....got some bad news. Some stuff they don't teach you in the academy.
Paige: What?
Me: You know how you have to make coffee in the morning because you're the boot (junior officer)?
P: Yeah...
Me: Well the boot gets to unclog the toilets, too.
P: No...seriously?
Me: We've all been there. It's your turn.
P: Ah, wow. Oh, ok.
Me: The plunger is in the employee bathroom. He really did a number so glove up and keep your mouth closed.
P: Oh my God...alright.

Paige looked seriously depressed. She slowly walked out of the room and grabbed the plunger out of the employee bathroom.

Me: Just kidding, Paige! But holy shit you get credit for not bitching and powering ahead! Good for you!

Paige was so relieved...I don't think she learned anything the rest of the shift. I think she's going to work out just fine.

Back
Top Bottom