Raritan 911: Robocop

insurance will still pay out if you leave the keys in an unlocked car and it gets stolen? wow im impressed
While I agree with you, I’d think that the burden would be on the insurance to prove you knowingly left them in the car, so I guess they just pay out.

While I agree with you, I’d think that the burden would be on the insurance to prove you knowingly left them in the car, so I guess they just pay out.

with the pushbutton start on new cars, you have to make an effort to leave them there, most people never take the key out of their pocket (or purse for most women) soooo . . . . . .

and even my truck which still has a 'key' you have to turn it to shut off the car, pretty natural motion to turn it off and pull the key out :shrug:

as a side note my wife has a bad habit of not locking the car (in the driveway) when she needs to get something from the trunk because the keys are always buried in her purse and she wont make a trip back out to the car

with the pushbutton start on new cars, you have to make an effort to leave them there, most people never take the key out of their pocket (or purse for most women) soooo . . . . . .

and even my truck which still has a 'key' you have to turn it to shut off the car, pretty natural motion to turn it off and pull the key out :shrug:

as a side note my wife has a bad habit of not locking the car (in the driveway) when she needs to get something from the trunk because the keys are always buried in her purse and she wont make a trip back out to the car
I'm so used to push button start and door handle touch lock, I've left the key in the ignition of T's Rav4 a few times.:oops::D

well part of the issue is people leave the fob in the car...

@MissJR i only ask because im genuinely curious. What do you have against push button start? It makes your life easier and thieves lives harder (when used correctly)

@MissJR i only ask because im genuinely curious. What do you have against push button start? It makes your life easier and thieves lives harder (when used correctly)
so when i went out to sedona with a bunch of peeps, we rented a mini van with a push button start. the one day we're packing up the bikes and the van was locked. so i grabbed the key from M to open the doors and threw the key in my pocket. she drives us to the drop off spot and i'm about to ride off when she asks for the key back... I'm like HOLY CRAP! i almost took off and left her stranded!

and steve has a story where he's outside working on stuff and notices a car nearby is running. thinks nothing of it and continues doing stuff... then realizes it's been running for like TWO HOURS. he walks over and shuts the car off. next time he sees the owner, he tells her what happened... and she's like CRAP must have hit the button or something.

i just like the idea of having a physical key... because i know i would do something stupid with push button.

i'm also OCD and do things like double check the stove is off... because i live with steve and.... well... that's it's own explanation.

so the key out of the car thing, the car will stay running till you shut it off in that case (at least all of the ones i have driven work this way) and will yell at you for having the key out of the car, if the car was shut off while you were getting bikes ect out, i can see how it would be an issue.

as for the car running, thats just pure ignorance on the owners part, the cars alert you when the key is removed from the passenger cabin and the ignition is still in the ON position, in order to miss that you would have to be . . . . well i dont even know what.

BMW had a nice compromise for a while (idk if they still do, @Carson can probably answer that) where you had to put the key fob in a slot to start the car.

and my truck is that way as well, the 'key' is just a fob that when you insert it in a knob it becomes the handle allows you to trigger the start that way instead (still your standard rotate to acc/run/start ect).

I bet that cars can eventually be setup to fingerprints or similar (like your phone) so that keys are a thing of the past entirely, who knows where it goes from here

Gm vehicles will time out and shut off if left running after 30 min or so. Pretty sure they all do this.

I do agree with the part about someone else taking the remote/key with them while the vehicle is running. Has happened to several of our customers.

Back
Top Bottom