Pedros Fest!!!

there are several reasons for the problems you encountered joe, speaking from the perspective of a former ride leader at pedros, at its current location.

*the reason they don't give out trail maps is for several reasons. A: alot of people would get lost. B: alot of the really good trails are 'secret', hidden to keep dirt bikes and quads off of them.

*the fact that the ride leaders got lost is unnacceptable. there is supposed to be at least one local ride leader on each ride. the rest are usually out of towners who are really unfamiliar with the trails and are just there to help.

*the beginner and intermediate rides tend to stay on the site side of the road, which has some decent trails. all the best ones, however are on the other side. the expert rides usually hit them, but are usually at a much quicker pace, though they will wait up.

that said, the trails have never been 'the best singletrack ever', but just fun trails. it's more about the bike festival atmosphere than anything else.

Random pics...

My experience was a bit unique. I took my daughter up and stayed with the JDog/Halter's Crew. I wasn't going up for the riding. It was more about camping with my daughter and a thousands strangers who love bikes. She and I had a blast.

I noticed that the fest seemed to be great for only the beginner/family oriented or the hardcore riders. My daughter and I never left the site. The expo activities were just enough to entertain. The trails behind the expo were too difficult for my daughter (she rides at Mercer CP and Clayton) so we hiked them instead. She did endless laps in the dirt pit and climbed the EMS rock wall all weekend.

I enjoyed the TdF coverage and the vendors. I heard only good things about the food although I didn't have any.

Here are some random pics:

My wife and I talked on the way home about what a "good Dad" you were that weekend.

Emily is super Lucky and she knows it. I highly doubt many kids in her class got so do what she did that weekend.

We missed you on the rides but I didn't rub it in since I knew you were doing noble work at the festival.

I have a strong feeling that it won't be too long before she has a number plate on the front of her little bike.

btw.. I noticed that it is time to rotate the tires on you minivan.

:) j

*the reason they don't give out trail maps is for several reasons. A: alot of people would get lost. B: alot of the really good trails are 'secret', hidden to keep dirt bikes and quads off of them.

That's okay. I'll just keep my money 'secret' next year. :)

I can understand about the quads, but I just didn't like "having to know someone" to get a good ride in. I just wish they had a little better communication.

That's okay. I'll just keep my money 'secret' next year. :)

I can understand about the quads, but I just didn't like "having to know someone" to get a good ride in. I just wish they had a little better communication.

If you want to get to know the better trails and get into the festival for free you might consider volunteering.

You can go up the weekend before and get to know the real layout.

j.

Back
Top Bottom