NJ Backcountry Skiing Spots????

dmc123

I haven't done it but have been eyeing up trying to do some runs in our local park, Teetertown Ravine, for years. Hard part is trying to find a steep run without too many big rocks or too much scrubs bushes to get you. Maybe the end of the blue trail. Im gonna give this another look tomorrow.

xc62701

I've had the same thoughts but wondered if it was doable without trashing the skis. If we have a storm like this to get something of a base and then get another good one shortly after it would be worth a try.

gcab

High point and stokes besides the bowl too. If you don’t mind the trees just pick any mtb trail. I ski the pipeline or any point off the ridge that looks clean at the Sourlands and have also hit the Belle bump.
How’s Belle? It’s super close to me. Boot packable? Would be hiking with my board since I don’t have a split.

Gnick

i think its unlikely to find anything good after this first snow, but man I would love to find a place i could earn my turns. we should keep this post alive.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
How’s Belle? It’s super close to me. Boot packable? Would be hiking with my board since I don’t have a split.
Belle is good. Bring a junk board you don’t mind running over grasses/briars with if it’s not deep enough to cover everything. Otherwise it’s pretty fun. I approached from the left (when looking at the mountain) my first time there, less steep but longer approach. Eventually just started going direct which gives you a chance to check out the slope conditions.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
i think its unlikely to find anything good after this first snow, but man I would love to find a place i could earn my turns. we should keep this post alive.
I’ve fully committed a pair to rock skis. You’d be surprised what you can ski with a set you’re willing to sacrifice and fill up base nicks with filler. It’s definitely not skiing a 30” base but you can run in a foot if you’re light on your turns versus digging in.

phillychris498

I haven't done it but have been eyeing up trying to do some runs in our local park, Teetertown Ravine, for years. Hard part is trying to find a steep run without too many big rocks or too much scrubs bushes to get you. Maybe the end of the blue trail. Im gonna give this another look tomorrow.
I live right by the teetertown ravine as well. I think that that one pitch on the blue trail, and the far end of the red trail have enough of a pitch to ski. the ravine road would be fun to XC ski down.

phillychris498

I’ve fully committed a pair to rock skis. You’d be surprised what you can ski with a set you’re willing to sacrifice and fill up base nicks with filler. It’s definitely not skiing a 30” base but you can run in a foot if you’re light on your turns versus digging in.
I need a pair of rock skis ASAP for this storm... too late at this point most likely. Do you have a touring setup on them, or do you just boot pack to the top of hills?

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
I need a pair of rock skis ASAP for this storm... too late at this point most likely. Do you have a touring setup on them, or do you just boot pack to the top of hills?

Depends on what I’m going for. I have two set ups. For straight up downhill, I pack my DH skis up on a backpack, boots in the bag. I use snowshoes to climb. Make sure you bind the tips together at the top over the bag if you go this route. This is me with that set up at the Sourlands back in 2016:
3298E258-FC17-4F93-A1AA-407E8F1DAD2F.jpeg

My other set up is using Altai Hoks. I use a hiking boot in their bindings and it’s OK. Heavy snow is not as half as fun as light snow, but even if there is six inches you can use them so that’s a win. I will eventually upgrade the binding to a tele set up. The Sourlands is a little too much for the Hoks in hiking boots. You get moving and hard turns sometimes don’t happen when you want them too, so I want the plastic boot to get the edge hold more secure. With the hiking boot a place like Lewis Morris would be a blast. Six Mile is very fun with the Hoks.

phillychris498

Depends on what I’m going for. I have two set ups. For straight up downhill, I pack my DH skis up on a backpack, boots in the bag. I use snowshoes to climb. Make sure you bind the tips together at the top over the bag if you go this route. This is me with that set up at the Sourlands back in 2016:
View attachment 145348

My other set up is using Altai Hoks. I use a hiking boot in their bindings and it’s OK. Heavy snow is not as half as fun as light snow, but even if there is six inches you can use them so that’s a win. I will eventually upgrade the binding to a tele set up. The Sourlands is a little too much for the Hoks in hiking boots. You get moving and hard turns sometimes don’t happen when you want them too, so I want the plastic boot to get the edge hold more secure. With the hiking boot a place like Lewis Morris would be a blast. Six Mile is very fun with the Hoks.
Nice setups. When I’ve gone to do backcountry in the past, I’ve literally just hiked up the hill in my boots on “hike” mode and skied down, with that process of repeat a few times.

this thread is tempting me to go buy a cheap pair of skis tonight before tomorrow’s storm. I have bindings I could put on them too.

gcab

Belle is good. Bring a junk board you don’t mind running over grasses/briars with if it’s not deep enough to cover everything. Otherwise it’s pretty fun. I approached from the left (when looking at the mountain) my first time there, less steep but longer approach. Eventually just started going direct which gives you a chance to check out the slope conditions.
Glad I’ve got my older setup for a rock board. Thanks for the beta.

kearneyb

This is fantastic. I was wondering if anyone tried to ski the pipeline or go into the trees at the sourlands. I need to clear up my schedule, but if this storm develops I would love to get over and take some turns.

I use same setup. Good backpack, plenty of water, boots in bag and skis strapped in aframe. Only problem is snowshoes feel apart last winter and I haven't replaced. I'm not sure microspikes will be much help.

_kLCEmlbIju-T4mpW3d3eShRc9GPa1-Zp9dxs5BcxoU-1539x2048.jpg

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
This is fantastic. I was wondering if anyone tried to ski the pipeline or go into the trees at the sourlands. I need to clear up my schedule, but if this storm develops I would love to get over and take some turns.

I use same setup. Good backpack, plenty of water, boots in bag and skis strapped in aframe. Only problem is snowshoes feel apart last winter and I haven't replaced. I'm not sure microspikes will be much help.

View attachment 145354
I’ve hit the trees and @Patrick and I hit the trees a while back together - he could comment here too. You can pick through at the Sourlands but there’s usually some deadfall in the way, and the flats come up pretty quickly, so there’s a lot of pushing/sliding/walking out. Worth a run or two but stay close to the pipeline for the best experience if you’re going in the woods. I love picking through the trees but up north would probably be better for that.

Looking down the pipeline from the top, hop into the woods on your right, but make sure to keep the pipeline in eyeshot, otherwise you’ll follow the fall line further south and end up with a decent hike back. I made that mistake and did more hiking out than skiing out.

JerseyPete

Agreed on the Altai Hoks and the hiking boots being okay. Next setup will be the three pin with the Scott Excursion boots.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
One cool site to check out (if you’re into history of this stuff) for skiing - it is a listing of lost ski areas and has a whole page for the NJ area:

Belle Mountain history and stats:

I grew up in Bernardsville and always wanted to go down the old Peapack ski hill (through everyone’s yards who live there) but figure that would be an arrestable moment.

dmc123

I've hiked many runs at ski resorts out west but the pathways up were packed down. Thinking it might be exhausting to hike in 18" of soft snow in ski boots with skis on my shoulder. Whats the ghetto way to try this back country thing out if the opportunity arises? This was a steep one at Kirkwood.IMG_2659.jpeg

But worth it

IMG_2674.png

Last edited:

phillychris498

One cool site to check out (if you’re into history of this stuff) for skiing - it is a listing of lost ski areas and has a whole page for the NJ area:

Belle Mountain history and stats:

I grew up in Bernardsville and always wanted to go down the old Peapack ski hill (through everyone’s yards who live there) but figure that would be an arrestable moment.
I've hiked at Jugtown Mountain before - I could see how that could have been a spot for a ski area.

When I went to college outside of Boston, I had a mountain bike route that went down trails that were either the old ski slope or the old rope tow line of two different abandoned ski areas, Prospect Hill and Cat Rock:

Top Bottom