NJ Backcountry Skiing Spots????

phillychris498

I can’t help but be tempted to bring out the skis and hike for a few runs in the “backcountry” with the 15+ inches of snow forecast this week.

Does anyone have any north jersey backcountry skiing spots they’d recommend?

High point and stokes besides the bowl too. If you don’t mind the trees just pick any mtb trail. I ski the pipeline or any point off the ridge that looks clean at the Sourlands and have also hit the Belle bump.

Does anyone have any north jersey backcountry skiing spots they’d recommend?
Yeah, Snowbowl or any local golf course with a hill.
I don't have a bc set up but have taken my xc skinnys into Mahlon, Watchung, Allaire and High Point for trail fun. Also I've been on local golf courses. I recall going to Baltisrol GC one year and skate skiing on perfect conditions. I put on a show for folks dining in the clubhouse, the following year they upped their security and they now have a guard in a booth at the entrance. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

what about craigmere? Like riding some outskirt of wildcat.

I ride my bicycle up the old ski slope at Craigmeur somewhat regularly. I can't imagine it being the least bit fun to ski down. However, coming down Four Birds from the Charlottesburg Reservoir lookout down to Green Pond Rd might be pretty fun. Other than the hike up with skis of course.

I ride my bicycle up the old ski slope at Craigmeur somewhat regularly. I can't imagine it being the least bit fun to ski down. However, coming down Four Birds from the Charlottesburg Reservoir lookout down to Green Pond Rd might be pretty fun. Other than the hike up with skis of course.

shuttle-able?

shuttle-able?

Not really. You could shuttle from the bottom, up Green Pond Rd and up Jacobs Rd. That gets you to the top, but then it's over a mile of mostly flat terrain to the downhill. I guess with AT gear you could probably do it and have a reasonable amount of fun. I can't see it being worth the hassle though.

Backcountry like truly in the woods on alpine gear? One big dump with no base isn't as much coverage as you might think. I've learned that lesson at Plattekill many, many times.

Backcountry like truly in the woods on alpine gear? One big dump with no base isn't as much coverage as you might think. I've learned that lesson at Plattekill many, many times.
That was the plan, but yes, I'm starting to back out on that idea of going out with my downhill skis with only this first snowfall.

I'm thinking now for more of an "extreme" cross country ski day, where I try to XC ski with a good amount of elevation. I'm trying to think of a park with mostly smooth doubletrack/fireroads, or maybe even one of the more popular MTB parks once the fat bikes pave out a good path.

I'm trying to think of a park with mostly smooth doubletrack/fireroads

Ringwood has lots of fire roads. Mahlon has also been pretty good in the past for xc skiing. I'll probably try and get out locally at the Tourne after work on Thursday, and I may hit up High Point this weekend.

thinking now for more of an "extreme" cross country ski day, where I try to XC ski with a good amount of elevation. I'm trying to think of a park with mostly smooth doubletrack/fireroads, or maybe even one of the more popular MTB parks once the fat bikes pave out a good path.
If we get 8"-12" you don't want to be out first tracks. It's best to let hikers, snow shoer's pack down a trail. I think snowmobiles are out at Ringwood on fire roads, which help pack snow. I've done first tracks in deep snow on xc skis and it's basically snow shoeing with skis.(not fun). Also fatbikes are useless in 8"-12" of snow, they need trail pack as well.

If the snow comes, High Point should have some trail groomed by Friday for xc skiing. The popular hiking areas may have trail pack by Saturday or Sunday.

Doubt there will be enough snow for the snowbowl with no base its very rocky up there. Also ive seen people ticketed up there because its technically illegal to downhill ski there.

Back
Top Bottom