NJ Backcountry Skiing Spots????

onetracker

If we get 8"-12" you don't want to be out first tracks. It's best to let hikers, snow shoer's pack down a trail. I think snowmobiles are out at Ringwood on fire roads, which help pack snow. I've done first tracks in deep snow on xc skis and it's basically snow shoeing with skis.(not fun). Also fatbikes are useless in 8"-12" of snow, they need trail pack as well.

If the snow comes, High Point should have some trail groomed by Friday for xc skiing. The popular hiking areas may have trail pack by Saturday or Sunday.
Rwood is Meh; lots of rocks, need a lot of snow. Stewarts is good for BC+XC skiing and fat bikes due to snowmobile traffic.

The Gunks is the best xc/bc/skate place in the area, hands down IMO.

Campgaw golf course is a good local spot where xc skiing is encouraged.

ebarker9

Saw that Minnewaska is open for XC ski. Debating a trip up tomorrow...such a great place, but it's like 3.5 hours in the car.

ryderX

KVSP is a pretty good park to XC ski. The tower side of the road can be a pretty challenging climb up and if the conditions are decent ripping down the road is pretty decent payoff for the climb.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Went sledding with my son and decide to dust off the skis and do a "backcountry"/ back and front yard ski run. I guess having a decent chunk of land on the side of a mountain isn't all bad. You tube clip below
Backyard ski run
Nice!

find an old VW beetle engine and some rope you’ve got a good spot. In spring, flag your ski zone and pick up/cut out the low stuff and you’re in business.

Over the Bars

Nice!

find an old VW beetle engine and some rope you’ve got a good spot. In spring, flag your ski zone and pick up/cut out the low stuff and you’re in business.
It's about as long as half the runs at creek so a rope tow would be great 😂 I have a few trials down it that I made for my atv but I caused major erosion issues And had to make multiple rock water bars to divert the rivers coming down the mountain. I avoid the biggest one by going up and around that tree the others I skiied over but only because we packed it down with the sleds before hand. Have some mountain bike features built too wooden drops, log skinnies and jumps you can see a few in the background. Planning on building more stuff this summer!

phillychris498

Tomorrow is the day of reckoning. With about 2+ feet over here by Hackettstown, I will be hiking and skiing down the pitch at Cataract Park (the orange trail to the blue trail down near the waterfall, and the blue trail down to the road) off of Schooley’s mountain road. I figure over 2 feet should keep the rock hits to a minimum. Wish me luck. Pictures to follow...

phillychris498

I vastly underestimated the difficulty of hiking through 2.5 feet of untouched snow. My attack plan was to park on the side of schooley’s mountain and hike up and down cataract, but the lot was plowed over. So, instead, I parked at a development at the top and did 2 runs down the backside of cataract to the stream. I cannot understate how epic it felt to ski a line I’ve seen during my hikes and thought “wow, that’d be skiable... if it ever snows 30 inches.”9ABE446E-6DBF-41ED-BD05-623B48239418.jpeg416C53B7-42F5-4731-B0AB-147FEA9528BA.jpegE21A712B-7A40-4B5A-A078-7A7C33C2AE0C.jpeg51F8BB2F-0786-4512-B90D-82441200CFD5.jpegC78C594C-DF83-460F-80DA-D14B427F698B.jpeg

Top Bottom