mounting a ust tire

Baccala

I just bought a new pair of Michelin ust tires and I'm having a hell of a time mounting them. Anybody have any helpful hints?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
when i was a kid, and we would get to a reet stubborn section while mounting a four-wheeler tire, we would just put a jack between it and the rear axle of a truck and jack it up till it popped on. probably doesn't help you much though. sorry. make sure the bead on the opposite side is in the center channel, and as muc of the bead on the side you're working on as well. then turn the difficult side away from you, and try to pull it on.

i'm sure someone will be along soon who has more experience mounting these than i.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I just bought a new pair of Michelin ust tires and I'm having a hell of a time mounting them. Anybody have any helpful hints?
:)
Start opposite the valve

Make sure that the bead is pulled to the center of the rim deep into the channel.

Work your way around the rim and finish at the valve.

Do the same on the 2nd bead.

Use some soap and water (I use the PINK Finish line bike wash)

Inflate to 60 psi. (You will hear a very loud POP!)

Deflate to 30 and ride.

Add Hutchinson Protect Air' if you want to never have a flat.

Don't use the SLIME for UST as it has an acidic base that can decompose the nylon in some tires.

If you were closer I would give you a lesson.

j

Baccala

Still trying

I just don't remember having this much trouble with other tires. I'm still trying.

jdog

Shop Keep
Mavic x3.1 ust. Igot one tire on used gloves for more grip. Feelin a bit wimpy right now.

It is all about technique.

You are working way too hard.

If you force the tire to the center channel in the rim the tire will go on without much effort or tools.

It is worth the trouble though..

I am patiently awaiting tubeless 29".

btw.. Tubeless road tire are awesome!!!!

j

heythorp

Tubeless road tire are awesome!!!!

j

I think I am waiting on these. It seems like there were years of delays getting them to market because they would fold off the wheels in corners. Going down in the woods suck, but going down on the road is not an option to me.

Please give more of your experience with them. How many miles ect, mounting wheel set you are using. Thanks

jdog

Shop Keep
I think I am waiting on these. It seems like there were years of delays getting them to market because they would fold off the wheels in corners. Going down in the woods suck, but going down on the road is not an option to me.

Please give more of your experience with them. How many miles ect, mounting wheel set you are using. Thanks

Tubeless road tires have been ridden in the last 2 (or 3) Tour de France.

The benifits are many:

-Lower rolling resitance
-No Flats (run the Fast Air Latex sealant)
-Corering insanity.

Downsides

Only one wheel will work and it is $1000. Dura Ace
Only 2 tires

This is a system that I was leary of until recently. I sold a guy a set last week who claims a 3mph average speed increase over his stock wheelset.

That is crazy..

Wait and see but I doubt this is going away.

j

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If 3 mph is true, this instantly becomes a requirement for all road racers.

NJ Jess

Hiding

where have ya been! Haven't seen ya post in a spell. Go bike 6 mile with jdog and get him to put the dang thing on. I couldn't get mine on either.

D

DANSPANK

I also give a crack at setting up my Specialized Resolution Pros (tubeless according to specialized.com) onto my Mavic crossmax SL UST rims but failed miserably. I used all techniques people had listed in this thread but still coldn't get the beads to seat. My arms/floor pump combo couldn't get enough pressure build-up in the tyre for it to shape.

I went to put the tube back in and inflated one, got to 30lbs and it exploded! There's a huge rip in the tube so I won't be patching that - I think the tube was either twisted on got stuck to the Stans sealant that was in the tyre.

Anyway, a question, I read that tubless tyres can burp air, especially when bouncing off rock edges. So taking into consideration the rockiness of the NNJ trails do you think the benefits of running tubless are worth it?

I was going for the ability to run a slightly lower air pressure (I run around 33lbs right now) to get better grip on the up hills...

Thanks for the feedback.

:)
Start opposite the valve

Make sure that the bead is pulled to the center of the rim deep into the channel.

Work your way around the rim and finish at the valve.

Do the same on the 2nd bead.

Use some soap and water (I use the PINK Finish line bike wash)

Inflate to 60 psi. (You will hear a very loud POP!)

Deflate to 30 and ride.

Add Hutchinson Protect Air' if you want to never have a flat.

Don't use the SLIME for UST as it has an acidic base that can decompose the nylon in some tires.

If you were closer I would give you a lesson.

j

This might seem like a dumb question but for what do you use the soap and water when mounting a UST tire?

I have a set of tires to mount and hope I can get this done myself. The rest of the instructions seem clear cut but the soap-and-water tip does not compute...

heythorp

I have not had any issues mounting a ust tire. I put them on the same way I do a normal tire and then I use an air compressor to "pop" them on to the rim.

Shouldnt take you any longer than a normal tire.

I have not had any issues mounting a ust tire. I put them on the same way I do a normal tire and then I use an air compressor to "pop" them on to the rim.

Shouldnt take you any longer than a normal tire.

what about tire levers...I have read that you are not supposed to use them with tubeless tires, and I have never had luck getting tires on or off without them

heythorp

not sure if you should or should not use tire levers. Cant remember the last time I needed a tire lever to put a tire on. Of course the last little bit does require some strength.

K

klutch

This might seem like a dumb question but for what do you use the soap and water when mounting a UST tire?

I have a set of tires to mount and hope I can get this done myself. The rest of the instructions seem clear cut but the soap-and-water tip does not compute...

the soap and water is just to make the tire bead slide over the rim with damage to the tire. It's a very good question...

Top Bottom