Mountain Man Biathalon

xc62701

I was debating about going to this and I found my excuse not to go(besides the fact I despise running). One of my teammates informed me that they will be running a fall edition of the Tour de Lake(Hopatcong) the day prior to the mountain man. 40 mile road race around the lake so that will be mucho funner ;)

RNG1

I was debating about going to this and I found my excuse not to go(besides the fact I despise running). One of my teammates informed me that they will be running a fall edition of the Tour de Lake(Hopatcong) the day prior to the mountain man. 40 mile road race around the lake so that will be mucho funner ;)

The way you roll I'm surprised you're not doing both:)

RyanW

What would it take for someone to complete this in a respectable time? I'm not a competitive person or a fan of running but it sounds like it would be fun. Any other gear needed outside of what i normally ride in (obviously running shoes)

walter

Fourth Party
I dont know if last years results are still up but some of the times were approaching 3 hours.

THATmanMANNY

Event Description

11:00 Am...Lewis Morris Park...Rt. 24...Morristown, NJ 07960 2 Mile Trail Run --11 Mile Mountain Bike --2 Mile Trail Run...Race Day
Schedule Of Events.... 9:29 Am Coffee And Bagels..... 9:30 Am Registration Open..... 11:00 Race Starts..... 12:07 Approximate 1st Finisher..... 12:08 Post Race Refreshments..... 3:00 Prize Raffle & Awards.....
Directions- Http://Www.Parks.Morris.Nj.Us/Parks/Directions/Lmdir.Htm
To Lewis Morris Park - Sunrise Pond Area Go To Morristown Then Rt. 24 West To Park
Race Course To View A Map Of Trails At Lewis Morris Http://Www.Morrisparks.Net/Parks/Trails/Lmtr.Htm
The Run Course Will Be 1 Loop Each Time Of Greenish-Yellow The Bike Course Will Be 2 Loops Of The Yellow Trail The Transition Area Will Be Next To Sunrise Lake Bike Course Will Proceed In A Clockwise Direction

"11:00 Race Starts..... 12:07 Approximate 1st Finisher"
Hope they aren't serious with that!!! :puke:

My plans have changed yet again. I may be doing this race.

...My age group winning time is about 1 hour 21 minutes, 50+...

THAT IS FAAAASSSTT!!!! Is this place really flat? Cause for someone in good shape I would say 11mi ride would take somewhere round 1hr +/- 10 min & to run 4 miles on the road would take sub 30min +/- somewhere. Plus, throw in transition time... that's a couple extra minutes.... doesn't really add up to me unless if this place is like the canal towpath fast & racers are xterra pros.

I guess it does add up a lil' but still FAAAASTT

I dont know if last years results are still up but some of the times were approaching 3 hours.

That doesn't add up either haha. Unless if they walked some/all of it.

WHO HAS ACTUALLY DONE THIS RACE & WILLING TO POST BRIEF REVIEW WITH A FINISH TIME?

Eileen

I did it last year and IMHO it's a really fun, laid-back race. There are people who race all dressed up for Halloween. The running course is a mix of fire roads, singletrack and road. The mtb part has some hills but nothing technical. It's a pretty fast course and flows nice. It was 2 laps on the yellow trail clockwise. After the race there is a keg (good beer) and a raffle w/ tons of stuff.

As for a finishing time I came in just over 2 hours. I have no idea what the winners did it in, but I would say most people are done or very close to done by 2 hours. There weren't really too many people behind me.

Hope this helps :D

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did it last year and loved it! Yes, there are superfast exterra people racing in it...and they win. But you can't compare yourself to those people (unless you are one). It was my first biathlon (and 2nd mtb race ever) and I finished in 1 hr 44mins. To give you an idea of my ability, I usually race sport, and I don't win;) The people that finish in 1 hr 20 mins, usually race expert and win in their classes.

The vibe is great. The run is hilly compared to running on the road. I think there are 3 or 4 climbs on the bike, but nothing major. What slowed me up most last year were people going way slow downhill on the switchbacks and having no where to pass them. The uphills are wide so there is plenty of space to pass going up. Overall it's an easy fast course. Do it, you'll love it. With it being the 20 anniversary, the after party should be great.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm giving myself until next Sunday. If I don't have any broken legs or other major necessary parts, I'm in! With any luck someone will have a mechanical issue and I'll come in next to last.

-Steve

scotth

So how many first timers for the Mountain Man? First for me. Are the trails marked for both the run and the bike?

Scott

lushizzle

Got an email for the sponsor, who mentioned that you can register the day of for an extra $5 at $60. I'm hyping myself to do this as well as it will be a first for me. As a beginner racer, I'll be happy in just completing the course.

scotth

Congragulations to all that participated in the "Mountain Man". I think 250 +/- a few registered. There were a few MTBNJ members there, some passed me...I think all of them passed me, along with Joe the Plumber, and a man wearing a French Maid outfit. I finished 125th, I will be back next year.

Regards,

Scott

wonderturtle

that was a great time...but I am very tired. :sleep:

I am not too excited about my time but proud of the effort. I couldnt have gone a second faster. my body simply does not like running :drooling: and just when I really started to get a second wind on the bike portion...my chain snapped (and had to run the bike the last 10 minutes of the bike portion). oh well...its all good. gives me a time to beat (smash!) next year.

lushizzle

My first time as well and will definetly do next year. I came in 99th place at 1hr and 39 min. I guess it's nothing really to brag about, but I felt a tremendous sense of accomplishment in just finishing it. It was a beautiful day.:)

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I sucked the whole time. :) I think I was under 2 Hours at least.

At the end of the biking I tore off my helmet, gloves and bike, took a swig of water and ran the last two miles.

I got 100 feet before realizing I still had my biking shoes on. DOH. I'm the idiot making loud klinking sounds during the last run. :)

-Steve

Eileen

I'm definitely not a runner, so I started off nice and slow on the first run. On the bike I was having fun and felt good too. I ended up passing a lot of runners, but then they all passed me on the second run. I left without checking my time, but it felt like I did it faster than last year.

I had fun and I'll definitely be back next year. Maybe next year I'll do some running before the race, but then again I said that last year too.

jwave

This was my first mtb race. So much fun. Nice way to mix things up after lots of time on the road training for tris. Great people and vibe at this race. Brought my wife and toddler son and they had a blast. And that French Maid chick was hot has hell. :puke:

Does anybody have a link to the results? I clocked myself at 1:31 and change but didn't bother to ask what rank that was. Not that it matters...it was pretty apparent I didn't win the thing. :)

C

CultureCouture

fun fun fun!

This race was my third time on a mountain bike, and maybe 10th time on a bike in the past 10 years, but I guess you have to start somewhere!

BTW, I was Little Red Riding Hood. I thought I was clever.... haha.

Top Bottom