Mercer County Park Conditions

blackburn1973

Got out today and removed the tree on Orange trail. It was cool & cloudy so perfect conditions to get the deed done!
Pics say the rest.

1st I had previously done some trimming on my last ride.
2nd Half done
3rd Almost cleaned up. Damm those log sections were heavy!
4th DONE! I did roll that last log off the trail. and clear up the debris.

TAS
Great work out there today @TAS and great chatting with you today. You've been crushing it on the maintenance at Mercer and it's very much appreciated. PM me if you ever need assistance on stuff as I'm close by Thanks again.

TAS

Haven't been out for a ride in 3 weeks! Today was perfect! Rode the whole park. Everything is picture perfect good except for the Red Loop east of the east picnic area. This is still flooded.:thumbsdown:

There is a medium tree down west of the tennis center but there are alternate trails including Red. See Pic
Removed a tree on Blue past the double bridges heading to the rowing center. Cleared a widow maker on the Grail trail.
I took care of a few small trees on Blue North but the big one is still down.. Hoping we can get to that in the near future.

Tomorrow will be a beautiful day Get out there is you can!

TAS

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 111

MtTrailz

Haven't been out for a ride in 3 weeks! Today was perfect! Rode the whole park. Everything is picture perfect good except for the Red Loop east of the east picnic area. This is still flooded.:thumbsdown:

There is a medium tree down west of the tennis center but there are alternate trails including Red. See Pic
Removed a tree on Blue past the double bridges heading to the rowing center. Cleared a widow maker on the Grail trail.
I took care of a few small trees on Blue North but the big one is still down.. Hoping we can get to that in the near future.

Tomorrow will be a beautiful day Get out there is you can!

TAS
Thanks @TAS I'm hoping to ride there tomorrow morning with a small group. Looking to ride Red and Blue. How are the conditions on Blue North?

MtTrailz

I discovered something today that was a bit surprising. Exiting the Blue Trail North section onto to powerlines access road, my ride group went right, towards the boat house, instead of left towards the neighborhood exit. We wanted to reenter the Blue Trail South by the boat house. The PL access road was not only swampy, it dead ended into a wall of 7ft reeds and weeds. Had to turn around and exit thru the neighborhood. The map shows the access road going all the thru to the boat house.

carvegybe

I discovered something today that was a bit surprising. Exiting the Blue Trail North section onto to powerlines access road, my ride group went right, towards the boat house, instead of left towards the neighborhood exit. We wanted to reenter the Blue Trail South by the boat house. The PL access road was not only swampy, it dead ended into a wall of 7ft reeds and weeds. Had to turn around and exit thru the neighborhood. The map shows the access road going all the thru to the boat house.
Nope. Can't get through that way. I think that's a good thing.

gpTron

Is hunting allowed on blue? I've avoided red/yellow/orange because that's where I thought it was allowed, but I also saw a tree stand on blue. I don't own bright colors and my bike's color is called "military green". I don't stand out at all so I try to avoid hunting areas.

carvegybe

I understand there is a 75-ft buffer zone along all trails in the hunting area and hunters may not shoot within that zone. The requirement to wear bright colors seems to presume the hunters won't abide by the rule. Makes me wonder if I need chain mail for my rides.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I understand there is a 75-ft buffer zone along all trails in the hunting area and hunters may not shoot within that zone. The requirement to wear bright colors seems to presume the hunters won't abide by the rule. Makes me wonder if I need chain mail for my rides.
That is a general rule. There is always some idiot that will shot at anything.

gpTron

I don't own anything bright so I rode with my light on blinky mode. It was foggy af this morning when I got there around 6:15. What happened to the bike tree? People get that desperate for bikes because of the shortage? Heh.

Big Al

Got in a quick ride this weekend. Trails are in good shape. Built up a logover out of the big tree down on upper blue. Pretty steep but I made it over in both directions so it's rideable. There's also a go around now too.
IMG_20201122_153246.jpg
IMG_20201122_153334.jpg

MtTrailz

Got in a quick ride this weekend. Trails are in good shape. Built up a logover out of the big tree down on upper blue. Pretty steep but I made it over in both directions so it's rideable. There's also a go around now too.View attachment 143981View attachment 143982
I road there on Sunday, all of blue out to power line and back. Wanted to try the log over on the way back, didn't have enough speed and it was a fail. Maybe next time. Thanks for the build up.

TAS

Got in a quick ride this weekend. Trails are in good shape. Built up a logover out of the big tree down on upper blue. Pretty steep but I made it over in both directions so it's rideable. There's also a go around now too.View attachment 143981View attachment 143982
Nice SKULL! Yeah that is pretty steep.. Maybe we can get creative next time we are out there with a saw. Maybe take off the top 1/3rd and flatten it? That way the approach pile isn't so critical...It's going to rot anyway. I saw the go around last time out. I'll stop and clean it up a bit later this week.

TAS

blackburn1973

As @stb222 notes, Van Nest side is decent. Some soft spots where the sun was hitting this morning but overall nothing too bad. Creek's flowing really high so the couple spots off of it that tend to flood have some water in them. Best to go early if you can before stuff starts to thaw out. Also, believe North side is currently closed for hunting (rifle season @ moment, I believe).

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions