Mercer County Park Conditions

Rode yesterday and today. Two large trees down on blue trail along Hughes ( one right after the second log pile and the other by the two large tree trunks where you kind of had to zig zag). Trail below the dam was under water. Trail along the lake going towards the tennis courts was under water yesterday. Everything else on that side of the lake was dry and clear.

The two downed trees in Van Nest on Yellow ( has the blue paint swatch) have been remediated... Mosquitos were unrentless.
FYI the small bridge is still out. It may be awhile until we can reset it. That big pine tree was a PITA!
TAS

Attachments

• DSCN2729.JPG
    DSCN2729.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN2730.JPG
    DSCN2730.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 126
Did a little work in the western part of the part today. Cleared some small trees (one was a P.I. nightmare), kicked some branches off the trail and did some trimming. @TAS was right about the mosquitoes. They were merciless. No help from @Rusty today. 😝
IMG_20210905_155142.jpg
IMG_20210905_155322.jpg
IMG_20210905_155439.jpg
IMG_20210905_160906.jpg
IMG_20210905_163311.jpg
IMG_20210905_164713.jpg
Screenshot_20210905-180956.png

The two downed trees in Van Nest on Yellow ( has the blue paint swatch) have been remediated... Mosquitos were unrentless.
FYI the small bridge is still out. It may be awhile until we can reset it. That big pine tree was a PITA!
TAS

that was a big job. thank you! and yes, mosquitoes were unreal!

UGH I hate those PI monsters! Takes twice as long because you don't want to touch it! Heard from Mick this morning. He and his wife went for a walk with their dog today and checked the bridges on Blue between rowing center and east picnic. One of the double bridges moved a wee bit but it's OK. We can reset it at a later date... He also reported the the skeeters were ferocious!
TAS

Rode yesterday. MOSQUITOS!!! DEET is your friend...
Southside VAN NEST west to east is fine. The exception being the small bridge that still needs to be reseated.
North side: Red loop east of east picnic area is still wet AVOID. Red loop by creek, Blue, Blue lakeside, SOB and Grail, are all fine.
The second double bridge needs one ramp to be repaired.
Blue north has several trees down. I will be out there this afternoon to clear them.

TAS

Trees on Blue North were cleared. I also cleaned up a few other little messes in that area.
Just past the culvert a mud spot was created by a log that was holding water on the trail bed. Cut and pulled it out.
Really needs a nick to drain properly.
Trimmed that log that fell across the trail in two places near the gas line ROW.
It was a flow disrupter!

Someday I will work on that big honker tree by the cornfield. A pass thru.. and a log over for the brave.
The go around is a PITA and floods.

TAS

9-13 Blue North TM.png

The bridge (slimy bridge?) on orange trail has a couple planks missing. Still rideable but pretty soon it’ll require a big hop to avoid an endo while getting on.

Thanks for the update.
Last I rode it someone had stuffed a log in the hole!
We plan on repairing it soon and we have rebar anchors to install... So it doesn't float away in the next flood!
TAS

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 120
Thanks for the intel Al! Oh C#@P.. Yeah that's a bigg'n Not gonna do that even with the Katana. I know that spot. Last time thru there with the chain saw I took a look and said "self you should cut that before it falls" But alas I did not...There are a few more on the same section that look ready to fall. But that's not always the case. They look bad but core is solid and rock hard... 25 years to go. Then there are others that look A-OK and you can push'em over with one hand!. I need to sharpen my chain saw blade. I'll try to get out there on Sunday. Hunting is closed down on weekends

TAS

02/11/2022
Van Nest is good on the stuff closer to Hughes drive, I didnt ride the stuff right along "the pink", figured it would be a mess.

The lakeside trail has areas of mush and the darkside of the field approaching it is trash, would avoid. The area next to the lake where the timing tower is for the rowers is a mess, avoid.

Behind the tennis center is pretty good.

In general, if it is usually wet, it is muddy.

02/11/2022
Van Nest is good on the stuff closer to Hughes drive, I didnt ride the stuff right along "the pink", figured it would be a mess.

The lakeside trail has areas of mush and the darkside of the field approaching it is trash, would avoid. The area next to the lake where the timing tower is for the rowers is a mess, avoid.

Behind the tennis center is pretty good.

In general, if it is usually wet, it is muddy.
Wish I had read this before I rode today. 😁 That area by the lake near the timing tower sucked. Otherwise pretty decent. I skipped upper blue and pax twist which are probably pretty sloppy.

Forgot to post this after my ride on 12/19. Tree down on Upper Blue on top of the termite mound or whatever you call it. Had to dismount. Need to break out the big saw for this baby, @TAS !View attachment 174478
Now that hunting in Blue North is over, Mick & I decided to take advantage of the nice weather today. He has a new Esaw and wanted to test it. So we did. It's a Stihl... Wow it is nice!

IMG_2040.jpg

We cleaned up a few other widow makers on the way in and out. The two big hangers that were between yellow brick road and Conover road were cleared.
IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

Trails are really soft in the usual spots. Freeze -Thaw mud season is in full swing.
Please be mindful of that. If you are leaving ruts... turn around and go home!

TAS

Last edited:
I am introducing a friend to riding the trails. Is the Mercer trails have a lot of up/down section or it's more of a slight elevation changes with lots of switchbacks? He had ridden 6MR couple of times last year but was struggling so want to find something easier so he does not lose interest.

Any other trail recommendation that is bit easier than 6MR?

Mercer is the perfect beginner spot. It's super flat. I took my friend on his first trail ride there and he liked it a lot.

I am introducing a friend to riding the trails. Is the Mercer trails have a lot of up/down section or it's more of a slight elevation changes with lots of switchbacks? He had ridden 6MR couple of times last year but was struggling so want to find something easier so he does not lose interest.

Any other trail recommendation that is bit easier than 6MR?
Depending on where you ride, Mercer has very little elevation change. There is a bit of climbing if you go around the lake to the right of the marina. Stay left of the Marina, by the West Picnic Area, and it's a ton of flat riding with a lot of switchbacks and some log-overs and such. Some very tight deer trails in there, challenging for the 800mm handlebar folks.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions