It's here, it's here, it's finally here! (new SRAM AXS drivetrain)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I confirmed the shifter is the only part of Transmission that is backwards compatible. So if anyone wanted to upgrade their old AXS, they can go for it.
I am thinking it is worth the $150-$200 to try it.
$1600 for the XO groupset btw. More than double an XT group. Our sport is going to kill itself.
The cost is silly.

Also, SRAM put a solid bid in for the ugliest brake of all time.
SRAM-Stealth-Brakes_3-960x641.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I really think we should take a step back and think about how MTB hasn't become the new golf -- it’s the boat club. The last few years has seen our high end bikes going from 6 grand to 13 and average bikes going from 3 to 5k. It’s fucking stupid we're letting this happen.
100% agree.
I am in the process of transitioning out of head coach for the nica team I have lead for 4 seasons. One of the changes the new lead wants is to charge a team fee of $100, which is something I never wanted to do. It is $200 to register WITHOUT RACING, of which none of it goes to the team. We never charged a team and we raised money to cover the $55 jersey. Now they don’t want to do that either, so it would be $355 to join a team to ride around.
And we all know the 2nd year of nica is a conversation of how you need a $2k minimum bike. Like how many ways can we block people getting into riding.

Side note, some PA NICA teams charge up to $350!!!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I really think we should take a step back and think about how MTB hasn't become the new golf -- its the boat club. The last few years has seen our high end bikes going from 6 grand to 13 and average bikes going from 3 to 5k. It’s fucking stupid we're letting this happen.

This is the most expensive build there is. You can still get a complete SRAM GX Eagle build for ~$500. Shop around and you can put together an 11speed build for 250ish.

North hunterdon youth Rec baseball is about the same.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
None of this is "killing" mountain biking. If anything it's awesome if there's trickle down tech to the lower groupsets.

Anyone who complains that this stuff is getting too expensive, a $2-3k bike is probably better than any 10k bike from 10 years ago. Nobody forces you to buy the more expensive stuff and the less expensive stuff is great.

My bike was $3k while it's not high end but it's not like a 12k bike is going to be 3x the amount of fun. If someone wants to buy $$ AXS for their bike, it doesn't make the shifting worse on mine.

This sport has never been better or more accessible.

Ian F

Prices haven't definitely gone up, even adjusted for inflation. I spent about $3300 on my full XTR Indy Fab Deluxe back in 1997 - roughly $6200 in 2023 money. And that bike had pretty much the best parts available at the time. Today, $6200 will buy you a good bike, but not full XTR. That said, a Spot Rocker 6 Star XTR is about $1000 more, so maybe not too far off... although Spot is a direct-consumer brand and my IF was through a shop, so not exactly the same.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
This is the most expensive build there is. You can still get a complete SRAM GX Eagle build for ~$500. Shop around and you can put together an 11speed build for 250ish.

North hunterdon youth Rec baseball is about the same.
You are comparing the old gx to the new model though. However my gx AXS was $425.

Yeah, it sucks living in expensive areas. But our Rec little league is $180.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
@Steve Vai did you get to test this sooped up drivetrain prior to release?

I rode a "pre-transmission" direct mount XX1 RD, like the previous leaked one on Nuno's bike. That was probably 3 years ago at this point. More than likely they were just waiting for enough MFGs to go to UDHs before going all in.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
100% agree.
I am in the process of transitioning out of head coach for the nica team I have lead for 4 seasons. One of the changes the new lead wants is to charge a team fee of $100, which is something I never wanted to do. It is $200 to register WITHOUT RACING, of which none of it goes to the team. We never charged a team and we raised money to cover the $55 jersey. Now they don’t want to do that either, so it would be $355 to join a team to ride around.
And we all know the 2nd year of nica is a conversation of how you need a $2k minimum bike. Like how many ways can we block people getting into riding.

Not to derail this thread totally but same when I stepped away. Both of my kids have a bike shop employee hookup and still lost the gear game big time. The next team west of us has every kid on a 5K+ bike, some are even on S-Works. Like WTF are kids racing around in the grass doing on S-Works!!?? Sort of a shame because after 2 seasons our whole team quit and started riding for fun because they were all on $700 Rockhoppers.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You are comparing the old gx to the new model though. However my gx AXS was $425.

Yeah, it sucks living in expensive areas. But our Rec little league is $180.

Nope. Not AXS. AXS is luxury in any build level lol.

Under 600 and I bet with spending more than 1 minute you could find it cheaper.

And that group set is really all any mtber needs.

Ian F

Well who would buy a $2600 drivetrain for an old frame? Lol
I have a habit of doing that. Once I have a frame I like, I'll keep it for quite a while. While I still think of my Megatower as "new" it's now 4 years old and a generation past. Even my Ryve 115 is 3 years old (last week) and also not a current model. But I don't see any reason to replace either anytime soon. If and when parts break, I'll replace or upgrade.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have a habit of doing that. Once I have a frame I like, I'll keep it for quite a while. While I still think of my Megatower as "new" it's now 4 years old and a generation past. Even my Ryve 115 is 3 years old (last week) and also not a current model. But I don't see any reason to replace either anytime soon. If and when parts break, I'll replace or upgrade.
you know who might have a new MT on the floor.. on sale.. Hmm

Ian F

you know who might have a new MT on the floor.. on sale.. Hmm
But I like my current MT. I just ordered new bling-wheels for it.
I need/want a new road bike before I even start thinking about a new mtn bike. Any deals on Orca AXS models left?

Top Bottom