Is strava going from suck to blow?

Kaleidopete

So....I became a "local legend" today for riding Wayway. I never signed up for this and
when I last looked into it I thought you had to sign up using your cell phone. I guess Strava
just took it upon themselves to do it. Too confusing.👀

jimf

well, someone likes what they are doing.

They have the segments and data. While you can export the latter, people are lazy so the risk there is minimal. Recreating segments may happen if they annoy too many customers but they would really have to annoy people. Like go out of their way to do it(not saying they dont annoy people atm)

rick81721

Lothar
Another silly "strava ruins everything" piece

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/?p=281487/

tumblr_67142535a01da7fff6be0797a71240cf_9d8c687c_400.gif

Kaleidopete

So I used Veloview last week and had some questions about my stats. It was saying I rode 365 days, but only has 357 consecutive days.
That sounds coocoo to me. I wrote them an email questioning it and I was surprised to actually get a response from them. Seems
now a days nobody ever gets back to you, or has an answer to your questions. The answer was that I had a day that my ride turned into a walk.
And, they knew exactly which day that was. When I looked at that day on Strava, (that's where Veloview gets all their info), on that day I did a
ride in the morning for two hours, and at night on that same day I did a two hour hike in Wawayanda with a group. The representative for
Veloview said that broke my streak because I did not tell my settings to include walks and hikes along with my bike rides. That sounds stupid
to me, but he was right, I went into my settings and told it to count hikes and walks too, and sure enough it fixed the streaks report.
So I'm kinda happy with Veloview for having people that know what they're doing.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So I used Veloview last week and had some questions about my stats. It was saying I rode 365 days, but only has 357 consecutive days.
That sounds coocoo to me. I wrote them an email questioning it and I was surprised to actually get a response from them. Seems
now a days nobody ever gets back to you, or has an answer to your questions. The answer was that I had a day that my ride turned into a walk.
And, they knew exactly which day that was. When I looked at that day on Strava, (that's where Veloview gets all their info), on that day I did a
ride in the morning for two hours, and at night on that same day I did a two hour hike in Wawayanda with a group. The representative for
Veloview said that broke my streak because I did not tell my settings to include walks and hikes along with my bike rides. That sounds stupid
to me, but he was right, I went into my settings and told it to count hikes and walks too, and sure enough it fixed the streaks report.
So I'm kinda happy with Veloview for having people that know what they're doing.
Seems like a dumb business rule considering you did ride that day. If it was a hike instead of a ride, ok, but you did both.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

If you talked to Ben, he is "the man" - his brainchild.
I've also found them very responsive, and helpful.
Also open to ideas.
I like the relative colors on the chart to see which days were "bigger" efforts.
This will be my 10th year with data in strava - so lots to compare and remember.

Patrick

Staff member
Seems like a dumb business rule considering you did ride that day. If it was a hike instead of a ride, ok, but you did both.

agree. it would seem that the streak is intact if you rode, and that a streak is intact if substituting a walk or hike.

rick81721

Lothar

I ditched veloview years ago. Didn't see the point.

Kaleidopete

If you talked to Ben, he is "the man" - his brainchild.
I've also found them very responsive, and helpful.
Also open to ideas.
I like the relative colors on the chart to see which days were "bigger" efforts.
This will be my 10th year with data in strava - so lots to compare and remember.
Yeah, it was Ben, very helpful

xc62701

Why did strava hide the flyby feature. That's annoying. Evidently you have to click that you want to activate it to see flyby's and so does everyone else. But since no one has it activated I never see anyone on the flyby's any more. Just another way for strava to try and get a paid subscription???

Patrick

Staff member
Too many creepers -

it kinda is a problem tho - you see someone, figure out who they are through strava, the next thing ya know your are stalking them on
other social media platforms. they probably should make it anonymous, then opt in with ID. but then ya got the thing where you could
find around where they live, etc....

some of the EU privacy stuff is more strict than US - so there is that also.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Why did strava hide the flyby feature. That's annoying. Evidently you have to click that you want to activate it to see flyby's and so does everyone else. But since no one has it activated I never see anyone on the flyby's any more. Just another way for strava to try and get a paid subscription???
It was simply about giving a choice to turn it on. I would assume when new people sign up, that they are promoted to look at it now. From a privacy perspective, I think it make sense.
The people I ride road with in the morning, I would have never found if it wasn’t for the fly by feature.

xc62701

Too many creepers -

it kinda is a problem tho - you see someone, figure out who they are through strava, the next thing ya know your are stalking them on
other social media platforms. they probably should make it anonymous, then opt in with ID. but then ya got the thing where you could
find around where they live, etc....

some of the EU privacy stuff is more strict than US - so there is that also.
I can see where that could be an issue but it’s gotta be a tiny percentage of the user base. I always thought it was cool to look after a ride and see who you passed and what route they took. I’m not trying to ask them on a date. 😂

Patrick

Staff member
I can see where that could be an issue but it’s gotta be a tiny percentage of the user base. I always thought it was cool to look after a ride and see who you passed and what route they took. I’m not trying to ask them on a date. 😂

it is a tiny percentage - but to a victim, 1 would be too many.
Even Fit Chick doesn't use her real name. Although ya might be able to google it out.

Top Bottom