Is strava going from suck to blow?

Back before the end times, when we had our regular Tuesday Night Ride, there were a few segments in Green Lane that a few of the guys used to battle over. The most popular one was the paved descent at the end of the clockwise loop. They traded that back and forth a few times. But they're always trying to up the ante on it because no one seems to be able to keep it for long. I don't really chase KOMs, but I enjoy watching these guys battle for it (I even play neutral Belgium from time to time and aid whoever is trying a descent KOM with a lead out.) I think I have a few accidental KOMs here and there, but the one that makes me smile is the climbing KOM I took from an Olympic cyclist up in Trexler. I just like saying that without context (for all I know, he was slow pedaling and still faster than everyone else, but I choose to believe otherwise because why the fuck not?)

Anyway, is there a segment (or segments) everyone who is into that sort of thing tries to get in Jersey?
I think it is localized with the "hot" segments of the area. There are so many group rides by me, many of the segments are basically impossible for people riding solo.

I am more of a solo KOM guy myself but recently, while on a group ride, one kinda newb woman joined in a took like 5 KOMs and a bunch of medals. The woman that typically rides with us wasn't there that day and they kinda have a rivalry.

So, a week or two later, same group ride, the woman that is a constant in the group is there and we are on a similar route. I said to her, "want to send someone some emails?" and we freaking shredded a few popular segments (I lead each one, her either 2 or 3rd wheel and another behind). One was perfect, I could see her shadow behind me and I slowly up'ed the pace to 27/28 and as long as the shadow was there, kept going, (was only a half mile long segment). When i uploaded, i had the men's KOM yet when she uploaded, she had the overall KOM, men and woman, lol. That same segment, we took 20 seconds off the other woman's time, which kinda shows how dumb group ride segments are.

BTW, I was OTF on the other two KOMs I got :p

fucking @JimN.

1597099932435.png

I have to admit that I delight in taking Local Legends at Wildcat away from @UtahJoe. He acts like he doesn't care, but I know that he does.
Lol I must admit when you did that 3 ride on ONLY the orange trail... I knew that it was time to give up

Yesterday, Strava announced that this function that formerly defaulted to public access has changed.
As of Tuesday, instead of your ride automatically producing a flyby,
the default setting is private. Riders can change it to public if they choose by toggling in their privacy settings

Flybys were a function of Strava that used to be recorded by everyone but were only viewed by the savviest of users.
The function allowed you to see the other runners or cyclists you passed while working out and would allow you to check out their profile and loop.
This function was great for route inspiration and meeting new running pals, but it was also a bit of a safety concern.

Yesterday, Strava announced that this function that formerly defaulted to public access has changed.
As of Tuesday, instead of your ride automatically producing a flyby,
the default setting is private. Riders can change it to public if they choose by toggling in their privacy settings

Flybys were a function of Strava that used to be recorded by everyone but were only viewed by the savviest of users.
The function allowed you to see the other runners or cyclists you passed while working out and would allow you to check out their profile and loop.
This function was great for route inspiration and meeting new running pals, but it was also a bit of a safety concern.

Yes, this was great to find people riding at the same time as you. However, I understand the concern, especially with people who didn't have a privacy radius set up.

The flyby was actually a back door to be able to see people who were set as private. My guess is that someone finally realized it.

or identify people that didn't use strava so they could be shamed.

used it a lot in the past and made friends and enjoyed seeing where others rode that day when we crossed paths, but that's just me. I also see the concerns.

was just coming here to comment on the flyby thing and saw the above posts.

1602788058602.png

The whole strava privacy thing is very misunderstood in general, most people who use it don't realize that others can see where you start and finish from (i.e. your house) unless you set your privacy zone. I personally liked the Flyby thing a lot to see who I was riding with/near or more recently than I care to admit how badly i got dropped.

As usual though it's not so much the fact they turned it off by default, it's the way in which they did it - no advance notice or posting of any kind. My guess is they got some kind of legal action and had to flip the switch.

I have read some articles around some crime rings using Strava data to map out peoples daily patterns and figuring out when you may/may not be home but that's nothing I can claim personally as fact. A long time ago I changed my status to only allow people I approve to follow me because I kept getting these strange invites/connections from people in far away countries trying to follow me.

I updated my Flyby for everyone for now but it's pretty irrelevant if everyone else's is turned off.

Just saw this, changed mine back to "everyone" too but curious if most are opting to stay private (or didn't know about the change)
A b by inch of the Newtown guys are just realizing the change to. I would assume most people have no idea. In hindsight, makes sense it should be private as a default.

Back
Top Bottom