Is strava going from suck to blow?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
that is kinda dumb, since the leaderboards are worthless if they aren't public.
perhaps zwift should buy them.

jklett

Just wondering, can you do the tracking thing straight through garmin? That's the main reason I pay for strava and if I can do it for free then there's no benefit for me to continue to do so. I hate when you are suddenly expected to pay for a service that was always free under the guise of "improving your experience ". I say let it fall, someone else will come along to replace it.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So unless I’m wrong,
TrailForks is now > Free Starva
Am I doing the math right?
TF gets you conditions, trail details, location and you can record rides.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
This is why I'm glad to be so blissfully ignorant because I use Strava just to log my rides, the most basic and apparently free function. I don't do KOMs or even know what that means. I've heard people talk about it but I never cared enough to ask and I don't race with people I don't know or never see.

02camaro

to pay for strava its $5 a month, thats 1 less coffee, 1 less IPA, 1 less big mac. if $5 is going to brake your bank there are many ways to get that money back. paying for a service that you use every ride i think is worth it and if it allow them to improve the app better than thats even cooler. why should we expect people or strava to work for free? or if the app closed bc they couldnt afford to run it then that $5 would seem well worth paying.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
to pay for strava its $5 a month, thats 1 less IPA
Im out.

For real, it’s the walking back on features as Jklett describes that stinks.
No, it’s not an unreasonable amount for what you get, but a better model would have been 90 days free then fee if you want it all. Like they are offering now.

And they aren’t Starving I’m sure, but let’s see what enhanced user experience comes out of this.

jklett

Im out.

For real, it’s the walking back on features as Jklett describes that stinks.
No, it’s not an unreasonable amount for what you get, but a better model would have been 90 days free then fee if you want it all. Like they are offering now.

And they aren’t Starving I’m sure, but let’s see what enhanced user experience comes out of this.
It's the drug dealer business model. Get you started for free then start charging you for the same stuff once you're addicted. I'm already paid until October or something but with this move I'm seriously considering not re-upping. Hell, the only reason I paid in the first place was so that my wife can track me on my solo rides in case I fall off a cliff(no apple watch to save me) or mauled by a bear or something she'll know where to send S&R. I can find something else to do that if I need to.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hell, the only reason I paid in the first place was so that my wife can track me on my solo rides in case I fall off a cliff(no apple watch to save me) or mauled by a bear or something she'll know where to send S&R.
RoadID app- last I checked, it’s free and sends a message after the bear is done mauling you and you haven’t moved in a bit.

Ronnie B

Strava has been doing this to me a lot, this was my ride today, does anyone if its my GPS that is mucking this up or Strava?

strava.png

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
its the entire leader board...if your using the app, you cant see whole leader board anyway...so now you'll only be able to see the top 20 or so on the computer I guess?

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
its the entire leader board...if your using the app, you cant see whole leader board anyway...so now you'll only be able to see the top 20 or so on the computer I guess?
They way I read it, freeloaders will only see their placement if they are in the top 10. Otherwise, sol.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
They compile and host a lot of data. I’ve never looked at their finance numbers but they have a big operation going. I can probably live without the leaderboards, but at this point using Strava is just part of the routine. They took away a lot the power features from the free plan, so I’ve been paying for one of the plans that gives you your power info. Not sure how my plan will be affected. I guess it could be worse, they could keep it free and sell your data, and they would know where you go on the regular. I guess my stance is I use it enough and find value ( heatmaps has found me some good places to ride) so I’ll pay a nominal fee.

Top Bottom