Is anyone doing anything this weekend?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This place is too quiet. My plans for the weekend are to get out for an hour tomorrow on the road (rain willing) for an easy spin, plus to see if my chain is still viable.

Crazy shit I've never seen before on the road bike chain recently. My shifting had been screwy 2 rides ago, giving me problems when I was in the middle ring and the bigger third of the rear cassette. Figured it was just a barrel adjustment, which of course I don't want to do in mid-ride so I just go with it. Well yesterday the chain starts skipping everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Popping off the cassette, and even trying to jump off the middle ring to the small ring (triple in front). Anyway, no big deal I'm still able to crank out my normal speeds, it's just that on the hills it skips a little more. So there's a 150 foot or so climb out of the swamp back to the house and I go up it and boy, this thing is a mess, really off the wall now. I have to drop down to small ring and granny just to even keep it engaging. Not good, not good. Up and over the hill, back down, then the half mile flat to the house, I notice that the derailleur is skipping regularly, but not on the pedal stroke, which tells me it must be the chain.

I get off and look at the chain and sure enough, one of the pins has come out of the plate on the chain. WTF? Now this whole drivetrain is maybe 1200 miles old, which for a road bike is pretty new. I don't ride in rain/muck on the road so this is a surprise. Anyway, I'm probably lucky I didn't blow the chain up while I was out there. Hopefully I can bang it back together with the chain tool and it's like new tomorrow. Or it may turn out to be better to shorten the chain by a link. This ever happen to anyone else?

Anyway if tomorrow is ok I'll try to bang out 3 hours/50 miles on Sunday to get some solid saddle time. Not sure what the contingency plan is at this point. Anyone else doing anything?

NJ Jess

Doing TM

I'm going to HighBridge with nycmtb.com and build some jumps on Saturday. Then on Sunday I'm going to do some TM with ATUG at Allaire,...then a very easy ride at Allaire. I'm still trying to be easy with my illness damaged self.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Saturday it's not worth meeting since I'll only be out an hour. Sunday I'm starting at my house and either going west towards Califon in the 512 direction or maybe into Bernardsville for some hills. Currently undecided.

Shaggz

A strong 7
where do you want to meet on sat and sunday?

i am on the road both days

shouldn't you be at home alternating between working on the bathroom and sniveling in the corner about no longer enjoying the riding experience?

I may be doing a shakedown road ride on Sunday - first time riding outside since early January.

Mike679

MTB on the Road

Getting out tomorrow for maybe 2 - 2.5 hours on the roads of Hunterdon/Morris/Somerset Counties. I'll be a glaring faux pax - mtb tires, Camelbak, Thudbuster, leaking fork, helmet w/visor, etc..

Won't be efficient, bit it's vastly better than riding the trainer.

Maurice

I've had my chain snap on the road. In a climb of course. I usually can't stand the slightest mis-alignment as under power it becomes amplified. If the chain is new enough I have so many spare links laying around that patching it up usually works. Otherwise it's a new chain. I tried cheap chains (KMC etc.) but I end up spending more as they go real fast... Shimano seem to last but I don't trust the "special pin" (glad I inspect my chain religiously...). SRAMs so far only snapped one on the single-speed, but it was time to replace it.

The barrel adjuster is there for mid-ride adjustments. But then again I ride with a trigger shifter and an old XT 7-speed derailleur (on a 9-speed cassette, no problem, man!). However you should only have to use it after replacing the cable.

Lately I have split a feehub body lengthwise. I though it was made out of steel (Crossmax XL, whatever XL stands for...). I'm not lucky with freehubs. This morning go to pick up the commuter and managed to roll down the driveway before realizing the front tire was flat (not enough coffee, gravel driveway). BTW it's not looking nice outside, looks like I'm going to be soaked on the way back. Good thing I took the taillight.

This week-end I'm going to ride my arse off on the road again. Rain or shine. Of course.

Have a great week-end all.

Maurice

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Buying a new bike
Riding new bike
Shooting big gun
Goto movies

Exciting, isn't it?

D

DANSPANK

I'm heading off to Switzerland on a business trip. I've got some meetings at our headquarters in a hill town next week and before then I'll be in Zurich and Basel. I'm meeting a friend and am planning on a couple of road rides in them there hills.

I'm taking my GPS so maybe I can log some rides or something, fingers crossed.

See ya next week!

J-Dro

Getting out tomorrow for maybe 2 - 2.5 hours on the roads of Hunterdon/Morris/Somerset Counties. I'll be a glaring faux pax - mtb tires, Camelbak, Thudbuster, leaking fork, helmet w/visor, etc..

Won't be efficient, bit it's vastly better than riding the trainer.

This sounds like how I spent my morning. About 2 hours of continuous spinning around the backroads of Somerset county with all my MTB paraphernalia. Well I did actually put some slick tires on before I left. Funny though, I didn't blow by any matchy-matchy types today, nor is there any danger of that happening any time soon. :D

I plan to get another road ride over the weekend between rainstorms.

Oh and TM at the Sourlands on Sunday morning.

walter

Fourth Party
This is actually the last free weekend the wife and I have before all the spring birthday/communions start. We are booked for the next six weekends, so we plan on just veggin out. Doesnt look like any trails will be rideable so I will probably do my local off road route since Im not equipped to road ride yet. I have some other odds and ends to catch up on so this looks like the weekend to do so.

Im sure I can be peer pressured into something else, so we will see what pans out. Another three day weekend for me and possibly jury duty on tuesday, oh joy.

ArmyOfNone

Today and Tommorrow Ill be in philly w/ the gf for our anniversary. Id like to ride go for a nice long ride on sunday. So as you guys sure up plans, keep us posted.

walter

Fourth Party
Today and Tommorrow Ill be in philly w/ the gf for our anniversary. Id like to ride go for a nice long ride on sunday. So as you guys sure up plans, keep us posted.

Congrats on the anniversary, but there are plenty of good cheese steak places right here in NJ

ArmyOfNone

Congrats on the anniversary, but there are plenty of good cheese steak places right here in NJ

Thanks!

Ooo cheesesteaks...I didnt think of getting one. We are goin to some cuban resturaunt that she has been to once before and loved. Then hit some bars up on south street.

walter

Fourth Party
Thanks!

Ooo cheesesteaks...I didnt think of getting one. We are goin to some cuban resturaunt that she has been to once before and loved. Then hit some bars up on south street.

Nice, south street is perfect for drunken cheese steaks, have fun, be safe

ryderX

High Point, Sunrise Mountain, Sussex Co. road ride, come hell or high water. Rain or Shine, meeting at 7:15 AM Cranberry Lk park & ride, rolling by 7:29, all are welcomed, 4+ hours.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
wissahickon has some great trails, but they might be a little wet right now. the 'mountain bike' loop is about 15-16 miles, lots of climbing, lots of fast, fun singletrack, and lots of technical stuff. plenty of more challenging obstacles to the side of the main trail too.

ArmyOfNone

Fun Philly

Had a great time in philly last nite. We ate at Cuba Libre for dinner. Delicious meals and Mojitos. Then we met up with the gf's cousin and her friends. We spent the rest of the night at Kildairs, an irish pub. I had a few guiness's that i truely enjoyed. I thought i hated it but it was quite refreshing. Hopefully this will open a whole new relm of the beer world.

J-Dro

Had a great time in philly last nite. We ate at Cuba Libre for dinner. Delicious meals and Mojitos. Then we met up with the gf's cousin and her friends. We spent the rest of the night at Kildairs, an irish pub. I had a few guiness's that i truely enjoyed. I thought i hated it but it was quite refreshing. Hopefully this will open a whole new relm of the beer world.

There's so many beers to choose from, so little time to sample them all. But every now and then, a good old Guiness on tap (done right) can be sublime.

ArmyOfNone

Norm,
I just got off the phone with Brett and we're looking to meet up with ya. I know you said 9 which will work. Want to firm up some more details?

Top Bottom