how are the trails looking for this sunday...

PatrickBrown

anyone planningon doing anything sunday? I know we just had a tsunami come through NJ but I am dying to take out the new SS. and dont mind getting dirty. and besides, if we get REAL dirty, the mud on my face will cover up some of my pain :)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
anyone planningon doing anything sunday? I know we just had a tsunami come through NJ but I am dying to take out the new SS. and dont mind getting dirty. and besides, if we get REAL dirty, the mud on my face will cover up some of my pain :)

I am thinking Hartshore..

Have you been out on the bike yet??

Did you just leave it stock?

j

PatrickBrown

I am thinking Hartshore..

Have you been out on the bike yet??

Did you just leave it stock?

j

this will be mine and the bikes maiden voyage. I put on XTR pedals and a set of easton monkeylite low rise bars.

harsthorne will definately have me puking. but I'm game.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can't imagine anything will be much fun this weekend. If any weekend embodies the idea of staying off the trail for the sake of saving them, it would be this one. But hey, ya'll do what you gotta do.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
unless you wanna face the music from the resident trail/eco loonies, i would suggest keeping this ride WAY south where the trails are more sandy and drain more gooder. up here it's gonna be a full on slop fest. i unfortunately see lots of road riding my future.

btw, what SS did you end up buying?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I am thinking Hartshorne..
I think Hartshorne is gonna be a mess. There was still ice/snow on the trails, as far as I know, right up until this rain hit.

I'd guess that Allaire will be in better shape, other than along the river and some of the loamier areas.

I'm likely to stay on the road all weekend and wait til the trails are dryer.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think Hartshorne is gonna be a mess. There was still ice/snow on the trails, as far as I know, right up until this rain hit.

I'd guess that Allaire will be in better shape, other than along the river and some of the loamier areas.

I'm likely to stay on the road all weekend and wait til the trails are dryer.

Good post all around. Bonus points for "loamier" usage.

PedalPaddles

Technically, the soil texture in both areas of Allaire is considered a type of loam do to the proportions of sand, silt and clay. However, the trail by the river has a higher content of silt and clay and therefore does not drain as well. Clay especially, tends to hold water. Hartshorne will be too wet and riding there would be irresponsible in my opinion. I plan to race at Branch Brook tomorrow and do a road ride with ChrisG and Special Sauce on Sunday. Don’t be hatin the road man, it’s all good.

PatrickBrown

Technically, the soil texture in both areas of Allaire is considered a type of loam do to the proportions of sand, silt and clay. However, the trail by the river has a higher content of silt and clay and therefore does not drain as well. Clay especially, tends to hold water. Hartshorne will be too wet and riding there would be irresponsible in my opinion. I plan to race at Branch Brook tomorrow and do a road ride with ChrisG and Special Sauce on Sunday. Don’t be hatin the road man, it’s all good.

I'd love to join..... no road bike though...... damn

ArmyOfNone

Good post all around. Bonus points for "loamier" usage.

Looks like we have a regular old geologist here. well i used google and i can be an expert too!

Loam: loam soil composed of sand, silt, clay, and organic matter in evenly mixed particles of various sizes. More fertile than sandy soils, loam is not stiff and tenacious like clay soils. Its porosity allows high moisture retention and air circulation. The popular confusion of loam with humus is probably due to the superior quality of both soils. According to the preponderance of their ingredients, loams are classified as sandy, clay, or silt loams. Most soils of agricultural importance are some type of loam.

(Do i get a point norm?) :D

Shaggz

A strong 7
AON - there is no such thing as a "regular old geologist"; we are mostly irregular. Be careful though, he could be a soils scientist, environmental scientist or even an engineer.

No points for you, ONE YEAR!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry, no points for admitted Google usage. No loss either but no bonus.

Which reminds me I have a bag of loam for sale. Half price, get it while it's cold.

J-Dro

Sorry, no points for admitted Google usage. No loss either but no bonus.

Which reminds me I have a bag of loam for sale. Half price, get it while it's cold.

If you spread that bag of loam at Chimney Rock, would we be able to ride there this weekend?

ArmyOfNone

SadFace.gif

I guess theres always next year! or mayb when i get near the time in the saddle you guys have :sigh:

PedalPaddles

AON - there is no such thing as a "regular old geologist"; we are mostly irregular. Be careful though, he could be a soils scientist, environmental scientist or even an engineer.

I'm definitely not an expert, but I did not use Google. I am about a third of a semester into an edaphic soil science class. It's pretty interesting and look! I'm actually using the information.

So loam is not an actual substance, it is a classification to describe the texture of soil. Organic matter is not considered when determining the texture of soil. Humus is the non-mineral substance in soil (probably an over generalization to a scientist). Any type of soil can contain humus. I've pretty much maxed out my current knowledge at this point.

Top Bottom