Hell of Hunterdon 2015

sweating sucks and can make you miserable, especially for 80 miles. im sure you've practiced by now, but if you aren't starting your rides off feeling somewhat cold, you will feel overdressed by the end. when its 15 degrees its not bad, i overdress on purpose too. 30-50's its a tricky game. nothing feels better then nailing your clothing choices.

not sure about the double jersey, but it's as simple as it sounds, put bibs on, wedge plastic bag between bib straps, zip up jersey.

i just can't picture wearing a jacket when its above freezing. i would die.

everyones different, but i'm planning on wearing wool socks, a cycling cap and arm warmers. maybe some fall gloves? id rather be uncomfortable for the first hour or so (even freezing) and enjoy the rest of the ride in the correct clothing than the other way around.

a great piece of clothing this time of the season; vests. they work great for keeping you warm and unzip to let that cool air flow in on a hill or so.

another trick i learned from the legend biknben was a the plastic bag vest. maybe not so high in fashion, but does the same thing as a vest (keeps your core warm by not letting the cold air hit it). it is easily "moveable" to behind your back once it warms up.

Definitely wool socks and cap.

Minimum 2 shirt layers on top, and arm warmers.

For temps in the 30's, I think leg warmers are a good idea. They are easy and small enough to take off later and put in shirt pocket. Might end up wearing them from like 3 hours from 7:30 to 10:30 am.

7:30? I thought this thing starts at 9??

Well I thought I would have to leave my car by 7:30-7:45 and ride a mile or so to check-in, and then stand around waiting for the start at 9 am…national anthem…...I haven't done this ride before, so I am not sure how fast morning check-in goes, but there are a lot of people. I am too far away to check in on Friday night so I am stuck doing it saturday morning and then waiting around.

rick i did the double jersey thing today. worked great and the temps today are about what they should be for the HoH. a little chilly on downhills but that's ok for me. i had arm warmers, two jerseys and knee warmers with wool socks. no cycling cap but i think that woulda been a nice thing too.

this will change if the sun is out. if its sunny i'm sure the knee warmers will be off and maybe the arm thingys.

we will have to talk about fuel, too. I think there are only 2 stops, right? sorry for all the stupid questions, this is my longest ride ever and I'm trying to avoid the 50 mile bail of shame

dont overthink it. just remember itll warm up, and if youre getting cold, just pedal harder ;)

i would also plan on putting a third water bottle in your back pocket. youll notice water bottles ejected all over the dirt roads. it wont be extremely hot so you may not even need 3, but nice to have just incase.

dont overthink it. just remember itll warm up, and if youre getting cold, just pedal harder ;)

i would also plan on putting a third water bottle in your back pocket. youll notice water bottles ejected all over the dirt roads. it wont be extremely hot so you may not even need 3, but nice to have just incase.

Good idea. I guess a camelbak is a major faux pas? :eek:

Good idea. I guess a camelbak is a major faux pas? :eek:
200.gif

Maybe I won't be shaking your hand at the start ;). I have one gore jacket that would work in that temp range but that is a really thin windstopper. Otherwise, any of the regular gore with windstopper would be way to warm. If it is the phantom, which has zip off sleeves, I would be sweated through completely. If you have a vest you can use that, and mayeb the two jerseys but if you want to take the jersey off, you have to think of there you are going to put it.

There are 2 rest stops, so no need for a camel back.

Last edited:
I'll have supplies and extra food with me if any of you die. I'm leaving about 15-minutes after the last group so if you're in trouble, I'll be there at some point. Last year I fixed about 50 flats before the second dirt road section. Reminder that Zipp404's and any tire Continental makes will not be good for this ride. 4-Seasons are called 4-Seasons because they suck in all 4-Seasons :)

thanks jim - i'm not buying new tires - the gatorskins will have to do.

think the tips on clothing will work - the gloves are going to be a problem for me.

timewise, i guess we should add an hour for group flats? or just keep going, and let the person with the flat catch up at the next flat?

I will have my Cognition canopy set up near the registration area. $30 for the premium parking sounded like a deal to me. Stop by and say high.

when does the broom wagon come around? will surely be meandering near the end if I decide to pick up Martin's entry

What time have you guys been coming in at for previous HOHs?

Back
Top Bottom