Hell of Hunterdon 2015

The great thing about HOH is that you're never really riding alone. You see peeps you know & peeps you don't know but we're all friends united by 2 wheels.

Also it was a bit nipply out with the winds. @rick81721, nice meeting you too...if you can do HOH with the wind we had yesterday, a calm day in May/June will be a breeze to do a century.
DSCF3515.JPG

Great seeing everyone Yesterday!! I got there just in time to see the last wave leave and then rode the loop with my Panniers filled with Bike Repair goodies. Saw a lot of peeps having a good time despite the crazy wind!!

I rode there/back so it ended up being a 140-Mile day for me. Just under 10-hours in the saddle, perfect ITI Training :)

11008463_10206268614936243_3352971647876542575_n.jpg

I got to the start and registration a bit late, so I had no time to socialize with anyone and I think I was in the third wave.

I rode in various groups for the first 10 miles, until a little before the left hand turn onto Rileyville Rd. I was in a line going along 602 Werlsville Road, when all of a sudden the guy in front of me touched the wheel of the woman in front of him. He went down hard, and it was all I could do to swerve left and not ride over him, or go down myself. I went back to check on him and his friends came back too along and he said he was OK. @jdog came along on the moto and a support car also stopped and checked out his bike.

From then on, I did a lot of solo riding. I passed a lot of people going up Rileyville Rd and i didn't want to group with slower people, so I pressed on. I am slow enough myself and I thought that the winds and rough roads made it dangerous to be in packs. I had to check my speed on a number of downhills due to the vicious cross-winds.

I met with @jimvreeland just after Zantek Rd. and we rode together for a bit until we got to the large downed oak tree and powerlines across Pine Hill Rd.

I was having some challenges with my stomach. I usually drink plain water or water with a Nuun tablet, but for the HoH I decided to try GU Roctane Ultra Endurance drink in one of my bottles. It packs about 240 calories and my stomach was not happy with all that sugar and electrolytes. Also, I had one of those GU vanilla gels and it was like eating cake frosting, so that was probably not good either. I thought I recalled this being called "rot gut." And I was running low on water because I wanted to keep hydrated. I recall @stb222 advising @rick81721 to force down the water. I thought this good advice for a long ride as I usually do not drink enough in colder weather.

I do much better eating fig bars on the bike or gel chews like Chomps or Bloks, etc with straight water. I gotta get this figured out if I am going to do the Stewart 45.
So when I made it to the first rest stop, I spent a good long time eating bananas and wafer cookies and drinking water and then topped off 2 bottles of water before leaving.

I spent way too long enjoying the break at the first rest stop. So when I was feeling better to depart, I picked up my pace especially when I got onto Route 29. So much so, that I missed the turn onto the Worman Rd. Sector, and so I had to backtrack on Route 29 about 3 miles.

After going a few miles on Route 29 without passing any other riders or seeing any yellow arrows, I figured I had missed a turn, expecially when I saw the Route 202 overpass. Some riders passed and said they were taking a shortcut, so I knew I had missed a turn and so I backtracked to the Worman road sector.

I was glad to get to rest stop #2 at WheelFine for some more bananas. The rest of the ride was uneventful. Although when I was riding up the steep Hopewell-Amwell hill near the end, a guy who was walking was shouting encouragement at me "Get it!!!! Get it!!!!!" And there was a woman I had passed in a "Sturdy Girl" Cycling jersey and I was not sure, but it sounded like he was yelling "Get It, dirty girl!!!!"

This is my longest ride so far, and it was tough riding solo with the brutal wind. I was almost blown off the road at least twice. Back at the Elks, the food was really good and I picked up my blue t-shirt.

https://www.strava.com/activities/279258347

I had to check my speed on a number of downhills due to the vicious cross-winds.

This is my longest ride so far, and it was tough riding solo with the brutal wind. I was almost blown off the road at least twice. Back at the Elks, the food was really good and I picked up my blue t-shirt.

Nice job! And yeah wind riding alone was ridiculous at times. I really don't understand how the little guys/gals don't get blown off the road - I'm not exactly a lightweight and I almost got blown into a telephone pole at one point.

And forgot to mention in my recap my time was so blistering I won a pair of Hutchinson Sector 28mm tires!

This is a really good event that showcases some really good roads. I thought I knew all of the roads around me and I was happy to ride a few new ones.

I did support on my KTM streetlegal Moto and changed well over 20 flats. I was glad to notice that no one I saw with a flat was running tubeless (I know Chris g slashed one though).

This was a long day in the wind and I give a lot of credit to all thse who finished in these taxing conditions, especially after such a long winter.

This is a really good event that showcases some really good roads. I thought I knew all of the roads around me and I was happy to ride a few new ones.

I did support on my KTM streetlegal Moto and changed well over 20 flats. I was glad to notice that no one I saw with a flat was running tubeless (I know Chris g slashed one though).

This was a long day in the wind and I give a lot of credit to all thse who finished in these taxing conditions, especially after such a long winter.

Thanks for your support, Jason! I saw you ride by a bunch of times, and it was great to have you and so many others providing support. #thumbsup :)

Nice job! And yeah wind riding alone was ridiculous at times. I really don't understand how the little guys/gals don't get blown off the road - I'm not exactly a lightweight and I almost got blown into a telephone pole at one point.

And forgot to mention in my recap my time was so blistering I won a pair of Hutchinson Sector 28mm tires!

I am not a lightweight either. I thought I heard that a girl/woman was blown into a field…

Awesome that you won a set of 28mm tires!

Wow, that is a pretty good prize as those tires are $$$$. I may have forgotten to tell you that on the dirt sections you basically lay it down in a bigger gear. This keeps the tires for firmly planted on the ground and gets you off the dirt quicker and is more funner.

Wow, that is a pretty good prize as those tires are $$$$. I may have forgotten to tell you that on the dirt sections you basically lay it down in a bigger gear. This keeps the tires for firmly planted on the ground and gets you off the dirt quicker and is more funner.

What are those tires good for? I've only used 23 and 25 mm tires on the roadie. Throw them on the niterider?

Yeah a couple of those dirt climbs my back tire was skidding/skipping at times. Gotta say I had more than my fill of them on that ride

What are those tires good for? I've only used 23 and 25 mm tires on the roadie. Throw them on the niterider?

Yeah a couple of those dirt climbs my back tire was skidding/skipping at times. Gotta say I had more than my fill of them on that ride

Those are good winter tires or good for riding roads like on HOH.

Those are good winter tires or good for riding roads like on HOH.

Looks like I made the right call getting 28mm tires for Winter riding and HoH. I moved up from 23 mm mixed brands to 28 mm Vittoria Rubino Pros per the recommendations on the board. No flats.

Back
Top Bottom