Hartshorne Trail maintenance info

Here are some pics from the work we did on Saturday at Huber. The first is when we got there and it doesn't tell the whole story. It was a hellish mud pit filled with logs and debris. A huge mess. By the end, it was pretty amazing. Real test will be the rain we're about to get this week. Was a great crew and great experience and I'm looking forward to volunteering again. Monmouth County Parks does a great job!

IMG_6983.jpgIMG_6990.jpgIMG_7009.jpgIMG_7016.jpgIMG_7026.jpgIMG_7035.jpgIMG_7039.jpgIMG_7049.jpgIMG_9609.JPGIMG_9610.JPG

Here are some pics from the work we did on Saturday at Huber. The first is when we got there and it doesn't tell the whole story. It was a hellish mud pit filled with logs and debris. A huge mess. By the end, it was pretty amazing. Real test will be the rain we're about to get this week. Was a great crew and great experience and I'm looking forward to volunteering again. Monmouth County Parks does a great job!

View attachment 143143View attachment 143144View attachment 143145View attachment 143146View attachment 143147View attachment 143148View attachment 143149View attachment 143150View attachment 143151View attachment 143152
Nice work! Thank you to all those who contributed.

Thanks for the work guys. I had some guys in a group chat question the safety of the waterbars as you descend down cuesta ridge to the Buttermilk lot. I saw them for the first time this weekend and they did seem like they may be a bit hazardous for beginner level riders. They are on a slight angle, pretty abrupt and you can’t see them well when cover in leaves. Just looking out as we have many new beginners showing up since Covid hit.

Thanks for the work guys. I had some guys in a group chat question the safety of the waterbars as you descend down cuesta ridge to the Buttermilk lot. I saw them for the first time this weekend and they did seem like they may be a bit hazardous for beginner level riders. They are on a slight angle, pretty abrupt and you can’t see them well when cover in leaves. Just looking out as we have many new beginners showing up since Covid hit.
The problem there, if I can recall correctly is, all of that sand and dirt was going into a families backyard who lives off the backside of Hartshorne. The rest was going into Buttermilk and the street. The park system watched the problem and figured that was the best solution. They do "measure" the water bar on both sides and try not to make anything to "challenging."
I do agree with you, it seems with that sudden descent off Cuesta down to the gate they felt that was the solution, but can be a bit tricky to go up and over.

In that first picture above, that's me saying "that is a lot of mud"

Very nice work! That's been a problem area for as long as I can remember. I like how you guys elevated the one side and made the trail narrower. Having that elevated should keep the water from staying there. Bummed I missed it but will make it up on the next one 💪

View attachment 143143View attachment 143144View attachment 143145View attachment 143146View attachment 143147View attachment 143148View attachment 143149View attachment 143150View attachment 143151View attachment 143152
Thanjs for the update and the work!!

Do you guys know about that obnoxious death gap someone built at the bottom of the hill as you descend into rocky point from the lot? It’s been there a while but really is a neckbrwaker if someone doesn’t see the huge hole between the two doubles.

Do you guys know about that obnoxious death gap someone built at the bottom of the hill as you descend into rocky point from the lot? It’s been there a while but really is a neckbrwaker if someone doesn’t see the huge hole between the two doubles.
I went passed it today. It appears the rangers blocked it with yellow tape and put some big logs down to block the jump. Let's see how long it lasts.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions