Hartshorne Trail maintenance info

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Tracy is the Monmouth County Parks volunteer leader. Her email address is: Tracy.shiffman@co.monmouth.nj.us

They are starting small trail maintenance training classes so you can volunteer to help maintain the trails. If you would like to take the training class, please email her.
Due to liability issues, everyone volunteering at Hartshorne needs to take the trails training class.

In addition, they are now doing small trail maintenance groups in Hartshorne Woods. If you're a registered volunteer, please email her.

If you do either, mention you are a mountain biker.

Currently Hartshorne woods has 2 park rangers maintaining the park. Hence, they don't have the manpower to schedule bigger jobs: i.e. trail reroutes. However, if they get more people volunteering on a regular basis, the park system can schedule some bigger jobs since they will have the volunteers to do the work. Also, the average age of volunteers is a lot older then the average age on this forum.

As the situation stands, they are responsible for maintaining the trails and won't let another group in too maintain them, This is the facts and won't change. Playing Monday morning Quarterback isn't going to help nor change anything.

Remember, it wasn't too long that all the trails on rocky point were cut and built by volunteers.

Don't piss on this post with your negativity. If you want to volunteer please do so, I feel we can make a impact on these trails.

If you don't, ignore this thread and everyone's life will be better.

don

I just sent an email out. It's hard for me to do the Saturday 3 hour TM's but if they only have 2 rangers maintaining the park maybe having something weekly we could pick away at items that need to be done there.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I just sent an email out. It's hard for me to do the Saturday 3 hour TM's but if they only have 2 rangers maintaining the park maybe having something weekly we could pick away at items that need to be done there.
I think they can do during the week. Just depends on coordinatlng volunteer s

Reactions: don

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Ok, Tracy got back to me. She said she was real busy. She has a training class scheduled for Oct 31st at 9 am for 5 people at tatum park.

If you want to sign up, dm me your name and email address. I'll send it to her.

I think this is a good start on making the trails better at hartshorne.

kjarrett

Ok, Tracy got back to me. She said she was real busy. She has a training class scheduled for Oct 31st at 9 am for 5 people at tatum park.

PM sent.

rustynuts

I can dig during the week, I could definitely be flexible, we can pitch it as less trail traffic. I have another buddy whose a firemen who can also join us and he lives off the back of Hartshorne.

smw

I just received an email response from tracy. You will be directed to fill out a monmouth park volunteer online profile and let her know which of the upcoming classes you'd like to sign up for. I'll be at the 10/31 class at Tatum.

Scott

don

I can dig during the week, I could definitely be flexible, we can pitch it as less trail traffic. I have another buddy whose a firemen who can also join us and he lives off the back of Hartshorne.
That would be great if we could set it up like that. Less trail traffic and hopefully make it a weekly thing to bang out needed work.

don

If I did the training class before do I need to do it again? Are they starting with a new TM method with smaller groups and need update training?

rustynuts

No, you do not have to go. The smaller groups is due to covid-19

I can also do TM during the week.
Do you want Don and myself to send you our phone numbers? Not to put any of this on you, but you seem to have the direct line to Tracy, maybe if we had a group chat or something going outside of the forum we could move on working during the week? Just a thought.
-Jordon

Reactions: don

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions