Hartshorne Trail maintenance info

Trails were awesome today!! However, tomorrow with the warm weather they will be crappy.

@pooriggy tree dowm on rocky point, probably chain saw needed to cut
Screenshot_20240123_161238.jpg
20240123_161220.jpg

Tomorrow is the eclipse. Call out sick, come to Huber and help us on trails, then we'll ride bikes and check out the eclipse from Twin Lights. You'll thank me later.

4/8- Eclipse Trail Maintenance Monday.
9am-12pm; eclipse ride afterwards.
Park at; 25 Browns Dock rd Locust.

Let me know if you can make it.

Thx

Monday TMs are back at Hartshorne. We finished up a section of Rocky Point that was wet all winter due to water flowing out of the ground from the water table.

This area recently dried up enough to work it without making mud. I came in with a Ditch Witch and cut a 1' trench where the water had been flowing. We opened up the trench and made a swale. The material we took out was used to raise the tread. Cut & Fill.

This won't be tested until next winter, when the water table rises again, but I wanted to do this now so I wouldn't forget. This area was a mess for the last 4 months.

Screenshot_20240422_161143_Drive.jpg

20240422_102600.jpg

20240422_114045.jpg

20240422_113936.jpg

Thanks to the crew for getting this in, and getting machine back upright after I rolled it on a root.
@don, @knobbyhead , Steve, @SAM , Brian, @ChrisRNC, Ken, Andy.
20240415_115226.jpg

Last edited:
Monday TMs are back at Hartshorne. We finished up a section of Rocky Point that was wet all winter due to water flowing out of the ground from the water table.

This area recently dried up enough to work it without making mud. I came in with a Ditch Witch and cut a 1' trench where the water had been flowing. We opened up the trench and made a swale. The material we took out was used to raise the tread. Cut & Fill.

This won't be tested until next winter, when the water table rises again, but I wanted to do this now so I wouldn't forget. This area was a mess for the last 4 months.

View attachment 236764
View attachment 236765
View attachment 236766
View attachment 236767

Thanks to the crew for getting this in, and getting machine back upright after I rolled it on a root.
@don, @knobbyhead , Steve, @SAM , Brian, @ChrisRNC, Ken, Andy.
View attachment 236768
That swale is swell!!

IMG_1952.JPG

@pooriggy and some of the crew walking the Ditch Witch up trail. Easy to get up with a bike - not so much with a skinny and top heavy machine.

IMG_1954.jpg

Pic of the yesterday's work area before the TM started. Iggy said the ground water was coming out an making a total mess of the trail (blue line). So much so a new trail was being formed to the left (red line). Bit of a bummer the roots had to be cut out for the drainage work but this section of trail was the definition of blown out (width wise). With the amount of traffic and weather this trail gets I'm sure there will be some added tech soon enough.

IMG_1959.jpg

While Iggy and the rest of the crew were dealing with the drainage issues below, Knobby and I went up a bit to dial in some of the work from the previous week. @knobbyhead massaged a turn (green line) that seemed like it was pushing riders out to a drain we built last week. A cut root and added rock and dirt give it a natural looking bank and should help direct riders. We also cut out a water drain (blue line) that was full of rock and roots. Those rocks and the good material were used to build back a corner of the side of the trail that was washed away from water draining in from a rogue short cut trail near by.

IMG_1960.jpg

Another view looking down of the area. Blue line is the projected water flow. Red is where we built out about 2ft. The green lines are the climbing line with a steeping stone and a little skip option going downhill. Between them is the same rollable root drop.

Funny comment from a runner while I was working - he said something along the lines that we were taming a fun section for when he mtn bikes. He kept running but wanted to tell them that we didn't remove any rocks and last week I actually added some tooth set stone to help dilute water before it builds up power. Plus - how did he not see a potential root skip to hip landing?? It's nothing big but should be fun :shrug:

IMG_1955.JPG

Mid TM view of the rocks we piled to build up the eroded area. That was the first round. More were added to bring it out even more. Should provide some chunk once the material settles and fills in the cracks.

View attachment 236819
@pooriggy and some of the crew walking the Ditch Witch up trail. Easy to get up with a bike - not so much with a skinny and top heavy machine.

View attachment 236852
Pic of the yesterday's work area before the TM started. Iggy said the ground water was coming out an making a total mess of the trail (blue line). So much so a new trail was being formed to the left (red line). Bit of a bummer the roots had to be cut out for the drainage work but this section of trail was the definition of blown out (width wise). With the amount of traffic and weather this trail gets I'm sure there will be some added tech soon enough.

View attachment 236854
While Iggy and the rest of the crew were dealing with the drainage issues below, Knobby and I went up a bit to dial in some of the work from the previous week. @knobbyhead massaged a turn (green line) that seemed like it was pushing riders out to a drain we built last week. A cut root and added rock and dirt give it a natural looking bank and should help direct riders. We also cut out a water drain (blue line) that was full of rock and roots. Those rocks and the good material were used to build back a corner of the side of the trail that was washed away from water draining in from a rogue short cut trail near by.

View attachment 236853
Another view looking down of the area. Blue line is the projected water flow. Red is where we built out about 2ft. The green lines are the climbing line with a steeping stone and a little skip option going downhill. Between them is the same rollable root drop.

Funny comment from a runner while I was working - he said something along the lines that we were taming a fun section for when he mtn bikes. He kept running but wanted to tell them that we didn't remove any rocks and last week I actually added some tooth set stone to help dilute water before it builds up power. Plus - how did he not see a potential root skip to hip landing?? It's nothing big but should be fun :shrug:

View attachment 236855
Mid TM view of the rocks we piled to build up the eroded area. That was the first round. More were added to bring it out even more. Should provide some chunk once the material settles and fills in the cracks.
This new section rides really nice. Both uphill and down.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions