Gravel bike recommendations...

serviceguy

Im a Shimano guy so I can only speak to that side of the house.

GRX series is there gravel specific line including a Clutch rear der. My 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 came stock with this setup (mechanical not di2). I think its equivalent to Road Ultegra level which is pretty good value for the money.

instead of me guessing my first google result came up with this article which seems to cover all of it for your reading pleasure. As you can expect the different manufactures mix and match to play with price point on the bikes. before Gravel specific drivetrains came out I think most of the bikes just came with road setups but I could be wrong.

The short and sweet version is that the GRX derailleur is a XT 11 speed using the pull ratio of the road shifters. You can use the XT (or Deore or SLX) 11 speed 40T or 42T cassette with it, but not the XT Shifters. 105, GRX or any road brifters work with the GRX derailleur.

Cole

The short and sweet version is that the GRX derailleur is a XT 11 speed using the pull ratio of the road shifters. You can use the XT (or Deore or SLX) 11 speed 40T or 42T cassette with it, but not the XT Shifters. 105, GRX or any road brifters work with the GRX derailleur.
Thanks.

Fire Lord Jim

Just wondering why you prefer the HT over the gravel?
This hardtail is a Trek X-caliber with a triple front crankset. The gearing is both lower and higher than my gravel bike. I can climb in the granny gear and pound asphalt in the big ring. I have three wheelsets for it: 29x2.3s, 700c x 32 road tires, and 700c x 35 cyclocross tires. It's just not as aerodynamic as the gravel bike.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny I never noticed this thread before running off and doing my thing. I just bought a used 2019 Diverge E5 with Claris 8 speed. I rode it once, contemplated major upgrades then sold it and bought a 2021 E5 Elite. The Claris bike worked just fine but upgrades are going to be costly. The 2019 felt amazeballs, I have no idea how they made what feels like an average road bike work so well in mixed conditions. I think the 2021 is slightly different geometry and feels like a lower BB, otherwise similar. I'm sure I'll get bored but the go fast and explore part of the whole gravel thing has been super fun so far. Wood recommend.

Since you are shopping, I bought both off FB. There are deals to be had, both bikes were close to half off list and both barely used. I wish I'd ridden something else to compare but I'm so chuffed on the Diverge I don't want to try anything else.

mtbiker87

Dont believe the hype.Take an old 26er MTB of any brand ( preferably steel ). Find a used 29er wheel set with the appropriate hub spacing. Slap some CX tires on them. Get a cheap ass rigid fork for it. Find a cheap short stem, and set of gravel/adventure drop bars. There are plenty of options for an appropriate drivetrain, from a brand new group set ( (expensive) , to an MTB drive train with adapters for an MTB shifter and drop bar brake levers with compatible pull ratio for whatever brakes you choose( less expensive ), to SS and drop bar brake levers. Stop feeding into the marketing BS. You can do this cheaper, keep a usable bike out of a landfill, and get close the same proformance.

Cole

Funny I never noticed this thread before running off and doing my thing. I just bought a used 2019 Diverge E5 with Claris 8 speed. I rode it once, contemplated major upgrades then sold it and bought a 2021 E5 Elite. The Claris bike worked just fine but upgrades are going to be costly. The 2019 felt amazeballs, I have no idea how they made what feels like an average road bike work so well in mixed conditions. I think the 2021 is slightly different geometry and feels like a lower BB, otherwise similar. I'm sure I'll get bored but the go fast and explore part of the whole gravel thing has been super fun so far. Wood recommend.

Since you are shopping, I bought both off FB. There are deals to be had, both bikes were close to half off list and both barely used. I wish I'd ridden something else to compare but I'm so chuffed on the Diverge I don't want to try anything else.
Thanks. Never ended up buying one....

serviceguy

Liked for appropriate use of the word chuffed…

Top Bottom