Gravel bike recommendations...

Cole

Looking in to getting a gravel bike in the future. Looking to stay under a $1k... New or look for used?
Any recommendations?

walter

Fourth Party
The "gravel bike" market is pretty hot right now, if the budget is $1,000 your best bet will be something used, maybe even an older cyclocross bike

iman29

Gravel bikes are certainly the thing right now. I’ve seen lots of budget bikes work just as well as a $10K bike just depends how far you want to go with it.

If you’re trying it out keep scanning FB marketplace ir the gravel groups you can find something that can be your gateway bike for 500-1000 IMO.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
What you trying to do with this bike? Kinda like saying you want a MTB, but you could be doing downhill or riding the greenway on it.

trener1

I'd take a good look at the Jamis Renegade A1. Out the door for a just over a grand, brand new, from a LBS

iLuveketchup

I am also looking for a gravel bike.. well I think I am? What are the advantages of a gravel bike over a road bike with a set of gravel tires? I know the gearing on the gravel bike is 1x, but what are the other differences? Do gravel bikes have a more relaxed geometry? Will a road bike with gravel tires be less comfortable?

I am planning on being homeless for a while and bike pack in my mother land. The roads there are not suitable for a raced-out road bike.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I am also looking for a gravel bike.. well I think I am? What are the advantages of a gravel bike over a road bike with a set of gravel tires? I know the gearing on the gravel bike is 1x, but what are the other differences? Do gravel bikes have a more relaxed geometry? Will a road bike with gravel tires be less comfortable?

I am planning on being homeless for a while and bike pack in my mother land. The roads there are not suitable for a raced-out road bike.

Most road bikes won't fit a gravel tire. 32c is usually all they'll do.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's

A road bike is made to cruise roads, gravel bike has a bit more relaxed geometry, slacker head angle and has clearance for wider tires. IMO 2x for gravel is more useful. Big ring for flatter gravel sections, small ring for trails. Yes I use it on trails, as long as the trails are not technical, large rocks will destroy tires and rims.

Trails that are boring on a mtb are more fun with a drop bar bike. I put a dropper on my gravel bike and enjoy exploring. Since getting my gravel bike last year, my road bike has sat unused.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Crikey.. I'm so out of the loop and thought 32c was wide. Apparently, gravel tires can be 40c and wider. Didn't know.
Some gravel bikes have 650b (27.5) wheels. One keeps popping up on my FB feed is Poseidon Dropbar Redwood which offers gravel bikes in that and 700c wheels. I guess it depends on how much gravel you want to ride on.

Ian F

A road bike is made to cruise roads, gravel bike has a bit more relaxed geometry, slacker head angle and has clearance for wider tires. IMO 2x for gravel is more useful. Big ring for flatter gravel sections, small ring for trails. Yes I use it on trails, as long as the trails are not technical, large rocks will destroy tires and rims.

Trails that are boring on a mtb are more fun with a drop bar bike. I put a dropper on my gravel bike and enjoy exploring. Since getting my gravel bike last year, my road bike has sat unused.
I almost agree (I struggle to find gravel roads near me). I was really close to getting a Revel Rover gravel bike, but they went full-in on the "gravel" end and the frame is dedicated to a 1x drivetrain. Since I would be riding the bike primarily on the road, a 2x is pretty much mandatory. On my road bikes, I spend the majority of the time in big ring (a lot of my regular route is flat).

If I can run 32c tires on my next road bike, I'll be happy. After years on my Colnago that can barely fit 25c tires and my Grade that maxes out at 28c, 32c tires will probably feel like a full suspension bike.

Top Bottom