Gravel bike recommendations...

10065494-funny-robot-stay-and-show-hello.jpg

Schwinn Phocus is a great gravel bike which i've been using for a long time. This gravel bike model is made for riders of 5.2 ft height and taller, it also offers double wall rims. And for lightweight bike choice Mongoose Elroy bikes are great option. This lightweight gravel bike frame is made of aluminum and the whole vehicle weighs mere 29 pounds only.

Working in Monmouth County, I'm surrounded by parks that were old farms. There is plenty of farm roads, field edges and the occasional single track. I can connect multiple parks for 20 miles with very little road use.

I'm actually leading a Park System gravel ride in the spring on my typical gravel loop.

Moons ago when living on Neptune, one of my favorite routes was Shark River- Alllaire- Squan Reservior- Turkey Swamp and back. Love that kinda riding for its variation.

Also- anyone who cant find dirt roads in PA.... Ive used this site for about three years now to put together routes.... https://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=260

Moons ago when living on Neptune, one of my favorite routes was Shark River- Alllaire- Squan Reservior- Turkey Swamp and back. Love that kinda riding for its variation.

Also- anyone who cant find dirt roads in PA.... Ive used this site for about three years now to put together routes.... https://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=260
I know where a ton of unpaved roads are in PA. There just aren't any near me in Lower Bucks. That map is more accurate than the gravel site, although it missed a gravel road up near Snoe Shoe PA I've been on.

As one who argued that no one needs a gravel bike, I bought a used one here on MTBNJ last fall. But still I bought a gravel bike, and someday I think I will ride it.
I will echo the advice to get a 2x up front. I doubt anyone can climb Palatine Rd in Tewksbury without a small chainring.

As one who argued that no one needs a gravel bike, I bought a used one here on MTBNJ last fall. But still I bought a gravel bike, and someday I think I will ride it.
I will echo the advice to get a 2x up front. I doubt anyone can climb Palatine Rd in Tewksbury without a small chainring.

People go up that?
😉

I know where a ton of unpaved roads are in PA. There just aren't any near me in Lower Bucks. That map is more accurate than the gravel site, although it missed a gravel road up near Snoe Shoe PA I've been on.

Cool!! Now you know more

Thoughts on these options?

I can't speak to the specific models but I will say I had 2 friends try out 650b wheels and they both said it was too bulky/slow for the gravel around here in NJ.

I would still suggest if you are "gravel curious" to check into FB Marketplace for an entry level bike thats a few years old. There are probably some COVID purchases that got ridden 1-2 times before the current owner realized you cant jump off the couch and ride a bike down the rail trail. This can save you at least a few hundred bucks and if you hate it you can easily resell it for what you paid for it, maybe a little less.

I can't speak to the specific models but I will say I had 2 friends try out 650b wheels and they both said it was too bulky/slow for the gravel around here in NJ.

I would still suggest if you are "gravel curious" to check into FB Marketplace for an entry level bike thats a few years old. There are probably some COVID purchases that got ridden 1-2 times before the current owner realized you cant jump off the couch and ride a bike down the rail trail. This can save you at least a few hundred bucks and if you hate it you can easily resell it for what you paid for it, maybe a little less.
Thanks. Have been looking, but haven't seen too much in L/XL

I think I would be between L/XL, so maybe this will work. Have to wait til bonus time... 🙄

The Diverge and Topstone are solid bikes, however the models you posted seem to be a bit weak in the drivetrain area.

I'd recommend a better drivetrain, in the 11spd range. Yes, its more money...but if you are into riding, entry level drivetrains are...well, entry level.

The Diverge and Topstone are solid bikes, however the models you posted seem to be a bit weak in the drivetrain area.

I'd recommend a better drivetrain, in the 11spd range. Yes, its more money...but if you are into riding, entry level drivetrains are...well, entry level.
Thanks, what am I looking for? Are these comparable to the Deore my stuff, or below that? Sorry just haven't gotten familiar with the road bike components yet

Thanks, what am I looking for? Are these comparable to the Deore my stuff, or below that? Sorry just haven't gotten familiar with the road bike components yet
Im a Shimano guy so I can only speak to that side of the house.

GRX series is there gravel specific line including a Clutch rear der. My 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 came stock with this setup (mechanical not di2). I think its equivalent to Road Ultegra level which is pretty good value for the money.

instead of me guessing my first google result came up with this article which seems to cover all of it for your reading pleasure. As you can expect the different manufactures mix and match to play with price point on the bikes. before Gravel specific drivetrains came out I think most of the bikes just came with road setups but I could be wrong.

Im a Shimano guy so I can only speak to that side of the house.

GRX series is there gravel specific line including a Clutch rear der. My 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 came stock with this setup (mechanical not di2). I think its equivalent to Road Ultegra level which is pretty good value for the money.

instead of me guessing my first google result came up with this article which seems to cover all of it for your reading pleasure. As you can expect the different manufactures mix and match to play with price point on the bikes. before Gravel specific drivetrains came out I think most of the bikes just came with road setups but I could be wrong.

Thanks, yeah just started researching the different options

People go up that?
😉
Yes. I have a route named "The Dirty Jersey" half paved, half gravel, which goes up Palantine. I've done it on a gravel 2x, but it was hard. My preferred bike is my 29er hardtail with 700x32 cyclocross tires. I guess that means I have a gravel bike and prefer not to ride it?

Yes. I have a route named "The Dirty Jersey" half paved, half gravel, which goes up Palantine. I've done it on a gravel 2x, but it was hard. My preferred bike is my 29er hardtail with 700x32 cyclocross tires. I guess that means I have a gravel bike and prefer not to ride it?

We had it as a timed segment on the JGG.
👹

Just wondering why you prefer the HT over the gravel?

Back
Top Bottom