Floor Pump Recommendation?

Not So Fast

I'm looking to buy a good floor pump. What would you folks recommend? And what pumps would you avoid?

I had an SKS Airbase...definitely avoid it. It looks nice and worked for about a year then the nozzle went to sheeeeet. $45

I had the Nashbar Blue for about 4 years the noozle is stuck in Schreader mode. So at $20 I guess it was OK.

I would like a quality pump that will last, so what do ya think?

J-Dro

Topeak Joe Blow. I use it to inflate my tubeless tires rather then break out the compressor. Great pump.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone can probably tell you this, but don't get the red Schwinn one from Target :p Valve issues after 1 year.

BiknBen

Topeaks and Blackburns are good pumps. Stay away from anything that has a plastic cylinder. In general, it pays to pay a little extra for a quality floor pump. I have one for every room in my house. :eek:

I prefer a pump head that has a twisting lock (Blackburn) instead of a lever lock. The levers are often too short. It is not uncommon to damage a valve stem while trying to lock and unlock the lever. The twisting style is a better design.

Don't be scared to ask the shop guy if you can pump up a few tires with each pump. See how they work. How easy is it to lock the head onto the valve? How much force is required to pump a tire up? How quickly does it inflate a tire? With all of the under-inflated tires around the store, you should be able to figure out which pump you like before buying.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Joe Blow Pro, yo.

I also have a 17 year old Silca Track pump that just needs $5 in parts and will be good as new again.

Wobbegong

I'm a fan of Blackburns stuff. Their customer service is fantastic, they will replace just about anything, no questions asked.

As for floor pumps, I have no suggestions. I've been using the same cheap ass floor pump I bought at Toys R' Us about 13 years ago. I use it before every ride and it works perfectly, same as the day I bought it. Go figure.

lmckee

I have a pedros prestige. I suggest staying away from the pedros pumps, the air line is too short and it never locks onto the valve correctly without readjusting it 40 times. I've seen blackburns and topeaks work fine for years with no problems.

bill-now

Doomed
Silca Superpista. Wooden handle, not Chiwanese, brass screw on connector. Not cheap $, but solidly built.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm a fan of Blackburns stuff. Their customer service is fantastic, they will replace just about anything, no questions asked.

Yeah you aren't kiddin' I have one for almost 10 yrs. and my dog chewed the twisty nozzle and called for a replacement. told them what happened and they sent a new nozzle and hose free no charge at all. Thats great customer service...

IROnick

I have a Park PFP-3 that I really like. The lever is pretty beefy and activates with little effort, something I like so I won't damage a valve stem. At the shop though, my favorite is a Serfas floor pump (I don't know the model). It has a steel braided hose that is extra long and pumps effortlessly even up to and beyond 90psi. I say go with that if you can find it.

spindoctor

Shop: Allendale Cycle
Shop Keep
I have a Park PFP-3 that I really like. The lever is pretty beefy and activates with little effort, something I like so I won't damage a valve stem. At the shop though, my favorite is a Serfas floor pump (I don't know the model). It has a steel braided hose that is extra long and pumps effortlessly even up to and beyond 90psi. I say go with that if you can find it.

Park PFP-3 +1
Serfas FMP-500 +1

We use Serfas FP-200s here at the shop. We are extremely happy with them and the company that stands behind them. In my truck I keep a Serfas FMP-500 and it is indestructible.

jpn

thread resurrection

I want a new floor pump. i need high pressure for road tires but I would also like something that will seat the beads when I set up my MTB tires tubeless.

i have been using co2 blasts to set up mtb tubeless b/c the pump i have now has a skinny barrel and doesn't have enough volume to do the tubeless.

any updated recs for a floor pump. thanks!

soulchild

I too have had the JoeBlow and it's great. After 3 years mine stb so I picked up the Giant Control Tower Pro.
I love this (completely unnecessary) 220psi beast!

giant-control-tower-pro-floor-pump-184489-1.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom