Fishing Thread

JerseyPete

Hi y'all. checking in here. Grew up West and fly fishing was/is first true love. Moved to NJ and before kids I got to do some trout exploration in NJ (Lockwood, Musconetcong) and Catskills (East Branch, Beaverkill, Willow) but bike and life took over. Also, not much love for chasing stockers so up doing more saltwater in recent years.
Now that the kids are getting old enough looking to drag them out fishing more. Moving soon and we will be very close to Pequannock and nearby stuff.

This photo was 8 years ago after MTB Nationals in Sun Valley. Its high time to teach this sleeping child how to cast a fly rod.
View attachment 126574

Can you post a pic of your new Alumacraft? We are moving to a lake community and looking to get a jon boat no bigger than 14'. I may reach out to the same shop.
I will take a picture tomorrow.
Keep in mind that 12' in NJ does NOT require registration unless you put a gas motor on the back. Over 12' needs registration no matter what.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Keep in mind that 12' in NJ does NOT require registration unless you put a gas motor on the back. Over 12' needs registration no matter what.

good to know. Do you know whether NJ Boating Safety Certificate is required for 12’ or 14’ boats with just electric trolling motors?

jklett

Anything mechanically propelled(including electric) must be registered here regardless of length and all boats must be titled over 12' except for inflatables, canoes, kayaks, dinghies, and racing shells. So you can get away with nothing for a 11' rowboat but just putting a minnkota on it can land you a hefty fine(1st hand experience there).

As for the license, freshwater powered requires a non-tidal endorsement on your driver's license and all you need for that is your boaters safety certificate. Saltwater just the safety certificate. If your not using a motor of any kind you don't need anything for either.

All this information is on the NJMVC website and you can get info about the boaters safety certificate from the coast guard.

Captain Brainstorm

Got out for short one today, but the river was ripping, spent half my time trying not to bust my ass and drown. Impossible to get into a position where you could get a decent drift, and the water was cooold. Managed a couple of little guys and a decent one, all wild.

Attachments

• BA366CBA-9834-4439-B6E2-649EDFC4BA2F.jpeg
    BA366CBA-9834-4439-B6E2-649EDFC4BA2F.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 19

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Got out for short one today, but the river was ripping, spent half my time trying not to bust my ass and drown. Impossible to get into a position where you could get a decent drift, and the water was cooold. Managed a couple of little guys and a decent one, all wild.

details!!!! i see the fly rod - what was at the business end?

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice fish. Beautiful Winston too. Nymping pocket water?

Captain Brainstorm

i wonder what they are doing about boat safety certificates now?
my boat lic expired, cause i never took the course!

add this to the confusion

Tandem nymph rig, Tung Teaser with a smaller emerger-style dropper that I tie, I call it my secret nymph. Sparsely tied with some CDC to simulate the emerging wing and trap some air bubbles.

Nice fish. Beautiful Winston too. Nymping pocket water?
It’s an old BIIx, 8’5”, it’s a sweet casting rod, my NJ rod. I use an NRX LP on bigger water. No pocket water today, everything was pretty blown out. I really should have thrown some streamers but I just wanted to get out and drink some bourbon and chill. The bourbon made navigating the flood-level water an extra challenge

JerseyPete

@Delish The guy's name in Doug Lynch at Morris County Marine . I bought it at the end of the season an it was $1070 for the 1236 Alumacraft Jon boat, with two PFD's, two seat cushions and two oars with oarlocks. Prices may vary. He didn't try pushing me into buying a bigger one or motors. No pressure, which was nice.
The widest point of the boat is about 55 inches, the base is 36 inches and the length is just 12 feet. I put the PFD, cushion and yardstick in for scale in the pictures. It fits in the back of the Honda Ridgeline with the gate down it has less then 5 feet overhanging the gate. Hopefully take it out tomorrow.
Stored in the side of the garage.
20200424_193309.jpg
3 people legal.
20200424_193558.jpg
Picture with yardstick for scale.
20200424_193935.jpg
20190914_142702.jpg

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tandem nymph rig, Tung Teaser with a smaller emerger-style dropper that I tie, I call it my secret nymph. Sparsely tied with some CDC to simulate the emerging wing and trap some air bubbles.

It’s an old BIIx, 8’5”, it’s a sweet casting rod, my NJ rod. I use an NRX LP on bigger water. No pocket water today, everything was pretty blown out. I really should have thrown some streamers but I just wanted to get out and drink some bourbon and chill. The bourbon made navigating the flood-level water an extra challenge
Nice. I’ve got a 5 piece Boron. Sweet casting rod. Probably need to invest in a shorter small small water rod for local stuff. I don’t think I have anything shorter than 9’.

Thanks for the pics @JerseyPete . I called Morris Marine yesterday.

Captain Brainstorm

Nice. I’ve got a 5 piece Boron. Sweet casting rod. Probably need to invest in a shorter small small water rod for local stuff. I don’t think I have anything shorter than 9’.

Thanks for the pics @JerseyPete . I called Morris Marine yesterday.
That 8’6” Winston was the first “expensive” rod I bought back in the day, and still one of the sweetest casting. I also have a 7-wt that I bought out of the bargain bin at Ramsey brand New Years ago for $250 when the style switched to ultra-fast action. The action is completely different than the lighter weight BIIx’s (faster). I under line it with a 6.5wtMPX and it’s a cannon. The shortest rod I fish with is 7ft for those little brookie streams up in VT. Check the bargain bins at most fly shops since guys buy these things, fish a small stream once or twice, then trade them in.

The fly fishing rod game has mirrored the MTB game in many ways, the way everything became “enduro”. Around 2010 it was all about faster action, how far you could cast, like that was the only metric that really mattered. Those early fast action rods sucked, they were cannons with no feel. After 6-7 years they finally get it right, build a perfect rod with strength and feel (kind of like finally making a light 150-160mm bikes that could climb Really well) and now they’re segmenting again, breaking up their rod lines into presentation, fast action, ultra-fast, etc. to drive more sales. Like trail, enduro, light-trail, etc. And like bikes, the prices are getting stupid.

JerseyPete

Potash Lake launch?
Packed like you have never seen. Most are just families looking to walk around the lake a little. I was able to get a spot after someone left, but the lot was filled with cars in the middle as well.
Also a lot of people in small kayaks without PFD's and no paddle leashes.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That 8’6” Winston was the first “expensive” rod I bought back in the day, and still one of the sweetest casting. I also have a 7-wt that I bought out of the bargain bin at Ramsey brand New Years ago for $250 when the style switched to ultra-fast action. The action is completely different than the lighter weight BIIx’s (faster). I under line it with a 6.5wtMPX and it’s a cannon. The shortest rod I fish with is 7ft for those little brookie streams up in VT. Check the bargain bins at most fly shops since guys buy these things, fish a small stream once or twice, then trade them in.

The fly fishing rod game has mirrored the MTB game in many ways, the way everything became “enduro”. Around 2010 it was all about faster action, how far you could cast, like that was the only metric that really mattered. Those early fast action rods sucked, they were cannons with no feel. After 6-7 years they finally get it right, build a perfect rod with strength and feel (kind of like finally making a light 150-160mm bikes that could climb Really well) and now they’re segmenting again, breaking up their rod lines into presentation, fast action, ultra-fast, etc. to drive more sales. Like trail, enduro, light-trail, etc. And like bikes, the prices are getting stupid.

interesting take on rods. I have a few Sage rods from the early days of the fast-action-race but never use them. I almost always find myself reaching for a Scott G series 4wt (the original, not the G2) which is the first “expensive” rod I bought back in 99 or 2000.That rod that is like throwing butter. Slow, smooth, supple. It’s the fly rod equivalent of a lugged steel road bike. Classic.

Captain Brainstorm

interesting take on rods. I have a few Sage rods from the early days of the fast-action-race but never use them. I almost always find myself reaching for a Scott G series 4wt (the original, not the G2) which is the first “expensive” rod I bought back in 99 or 2000.That rod that is like throwing butter. Slow, smooth, supple. It’s the fly rod equivalent of a lugged steel road bike. Classic.
Those early Sage Rods would be considered medium-action these days. I have a Z-Axis that used to be fastest thing out there, now it’s “medium”. Still a sweet rod. honestly though, the early Winstons and Scott’s are butter. They don’t have the power of the something like the NRX, but you only need that power in certain specific situations. The reality is that if you need to lay 80-90ft of line out, your chances of catching that fish are 50/50. Between casting 80ft across currents making you drag, and then setting the hook with all that line on the water, it’s a crap shoot.

Top Bottom