Fishing Thread

onetracker

You can find me trolling lake Ontario for salmon most weekends between May and October. I also fish the Hudson river for Stripers in April/May. If anyone wants to tag along sometime, let me know!
I would love to fish for Stripers in the Hudson. Headed out anytime soon (after the COVID19 situation calms down)?

w_b

My (privately-owned) marina is open, and the usual Springers got their rigs in already for the spring run. Not sure about bait shops, but fuel docks must also be open; essential.
If we go full lockdown, I believe the slip, and all it unlocks, are key to w_b sanity this year...

Making it just like all the other years.

68nova200

I would love to fish for Stripers in the Hudson. Headed out anytime soon (after the COVID19 situation calms down)?
At this point with the insanity in restrictions increasing... its probably safe to say that striper season is a wash this year. It really sucks...

JerseyPete

Fishing isn't a sport where you're supposed to be near someone else, despite all those great pictures out there of wall-to-wall people at stocking points. The entire point of fishing is social distance. If you're fishing right next to someone else (boats being the exception), you're doing it wrong, or fishing in the wrong place.
I'm just looking to put in my jon boat with my son and row out somewhere away from everyone and spend time with him. I went down to the Oakland launch and saw it was open, so hopefully that will be our escape. We both have our license and stamps, just throw some gear in the boat and shove off.

Captain Brainstorm

I'm just looking to put in my jon boat with my son and row out somewhere away from everyone and spend time with him. I went down to the Oakland launch and saw it was open, so hopefully that will be our escape. We both have our license and stamps, just throw some gear in the boat and shove off.

Another option for you is Clinton and Cannistear Reservoirs, they're part of Newark Watershed. Getting the permit is easy, the office is off of Echo Lake Road (Echo Lake is another option). I'm searching for a used Jon to do the exact same thing eventually.

BPaze

Another option for you is Clinton and Cannistear Reservoirs, they're part of Newark Watershed. Getting the permit is easy, the office is off of Echo Lake Road (Echo Lake is another option). I'm searching for a used Jon to do the exact same thing eventually.
Sorry not familiar with the Newark Watershed at all, do you actually need a permit if all you are doing is hiking in this area?

JerseyPete

Thanks for the info.
As for used, I looked for over a year and never found anything I would fully trust. I went here:
and bought a new 12' Alumacraft with seat cushions, oars, PFD's for a little over $1,000.
I had driven and called around about every other brand and dealer, and that place was the best. I think the guy is Doug and he and his son mountain bike as well.
It fits in the back of my Honda Ridgeline.

Captain Brainstorm

Was able to get out on my local WTS for a whooping hour yesterday afternoon, I’m getting cabin fever. The water was high and cold, no bugs in the air or water, so it was a nymph game. Had to fish the soft water on the edges hard and fast due to time. Caught a stockie that must have swam a very long way to get there, and a wild brown. Looking to get back after the flows fall a bit.

Attachments

• A07727FA-C1D2-41FF-9889-1DF85FA7925D.jpeg
    A07727FA-C1D2-41FF-9889-1DF85FA7925D.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 15
  • C63122FF-2CB0-4DA1-AEC6-E3D96354F8B9.jpeg
    C63122FF-2CB0-4DA1-AEC6-E3D96354F8B9.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 15

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

onetracker

Potash Lake launch?

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hi y'all. checking in here. Grew up West and fly fishing was/is first true love. Moved to NJ and before kids I got to do some trout exploration in NJ (Lockwood, Musconetcong) and Catskills (East Branch, Beaverkill, Willow) but bike and life took over. Also, not much love for chasing stockers so up doing more saltwater in recent years.
Now that the kids are getting old enough looking to drag them out fishing more. Moving soon and we will be very close to Pequannock and nearby stuff.

This photo was 8 years ago after MTB Nationals in Sun Valley. Its high time to teach this sleeping child how to cast a fly rod.
TALL936B399C-CA8C-4828-9F8E-5C6801A1C116.jpeg.jpg

Thanks for the info.
As for used, I looked for over a year and never found anything I would fully trust. I went here:
and bought a new 12' Alumacraft with seat cushions, oars, PFD's for a little over $1,000.
I had driven and called around about every other brand and dealer, and that place was the best. I think the guy is Doug and he and his son mountain bike as well.
It fits in the back of my Honda Ridgeline.

Can you post a pic of your new Alumacraft? We are moving to a lake community and looking to get a jon boat no bigger than 14'. I may reach out to the same shop.

Top Bottom