Fishing Thread

Well dang - @w_b showed me the way of the braid for heavier fish. Grabbed some 30lb test and started messing with some knots.
The ones i know pulled right out! not enough line friction. So sent a txt to Warren and @jklett to see how they roll.
learned about uni/modified uni for terminal tackle. looking at tying in the leader i remembered the albright from scouts for dissimilar
diameters that you never need to untie. Could also do some sort of double modified uni - but the albright is holding tight. Braid wrapped around the fluoro.
i saw a modified albright that put a few loops inside the the mono too.

whatcha got?

1605628205020.png
1605629099178.png

@Patrick
Alberto knot is slightly different and allitle bit stronger than the albright but the FG knot has been tested as stronger than both of them but its alot more complicated to tie. I use the alberto knot but fish mostly freshwater so not worth it to do the FG knot for braid to mono or braid to fluro connections. As far as connecting to any terminal tackle I personaly like the palomar knot. Very easy to tie in mono, braid and fluro plenty strong enough for most applications.

@Patrick
Alberto knot is slightly different and allitle bit stronger than the albright but the FG knot has been tested as stronger than both of them but its alot more complicated to tie. I use the alberto knot but fish mostly freshwater so not worth it to do the FG knot for braid to mono or braid to fluro connections. As far as connecting to any terminal tackle I personaly like the palomar knot. Very easy to tie in mono, braid and fluro plenty strong enough for most applications.

practiced the alberto for a bit. it "looks" stronger when it comes together correctly.

i'm amazed that the palomar doesn't pull out with braid, but i can't get it to - i like the idea of two lines going through the ring.
very small knot too.

TY!

@Patrick
This 100% Alberto and Palomar cover most of it. Double uni works good too. FG is way too complicated for me but I know it's effective.

Well dang - @w_b showed me the way of the braid for heavier fish. Grabbed some 30lb test and started messing with some knots.
The ones i know pulled right out! not enough line friction. So sent a txt to Warren and @jklett to see how they roll.
learned about uni/modified uni for terminal tackle. looking at tying in the leader i remembered the albright from scouts for dissimilar
diameters that you never need to untie. Could also do some sort of double modified uni - but the albright is holding tight. Braid wrapped around the fluoro.
i saw a modified albright that put a few loops inside the the mono too.

whatcha got?

View attachment 143497
View attachment 143498
You can usually use whatever (reasonable)fishing knot yiu want with straight braid as long as you add 2 half hitches on top of it. Braid to mono.... albright....but I'll usually add a drop of super glue if its heavy mono on a trolling rig that doesn't have the mono changed off a lot.

I use the FG. There’a good tutorials on SaltStrong that show how to keep tension on the line and get the wraps you need.

I use the FG. There’a good tutorials on SaltStrong that show how to keep tension on the line and get the wraps you need.

saw this - and while it makes sense, it is a scary knot!!!
just make the braid bite into the mono!
hard to believe the half hitch at the end doesn't create a bend that weakens the system, but apparently knot ;)

Last edited:
hard to believe the half hitch at the end doesn't create a bend that iweakens the system, but apparently knot ;)
The fast and easy way to tie braid to mono is with a micro swivel. Check out spro power swivels. Size 8 is really small and good to at least 50 lb I think size 10 even smaller and good till 35

I use the uni for most terminal tackle whether I am using braid or mono/flouro. Uni to Uni for braid to flouro and for mono to braid (I use mono for backing, flourocarbon for leaders). The uni knot is simple to tie and has never failed me.

The only place to use complex knots is offshore for fish where it matters. Ballyhoo rigs, etc. @Patrick knowing how you roll though, I am sure you will fill your brain with every possible knot known to man and then do a scientific study on failure rates vs. purported strength loss. :D

The fast and easy way to tie braid to mono is with a micro swivel. Check out spro power swivels. Size 8 is really small and good to at least 50 lb I think size 10 even smaller and good till 35
Good advice here. Quality matters with swivels, and spro makes nice stuff. If rigging out in the field in the dark though, a simple uni to uni can get you fishing faster, so its important to know the knot cold.

Reactions: w_b
This. I've switched to swivels on my streamer rigs, even for trout. Fast, strong, easy, and as an added bonus it keeps your line from getting twisted.

hard to believe the half hitch at the end doesn't create a bend that weakens the system, but apparently knot ;)
I agree about the hitch, if it’s not under pressure it’s hard to believe it doesn’t come undone. The only part of that method that took a few tries to get comfortable with, was getting the mono to straighten out after the wrap.
I found backing off on the tension slightly let’s it fall into place then tightening back up pulls it to 90 degrees off the braid.

Good advice here. Quality matters with swivels, and spro makes nice stuff. If rigging out in the field in the dark though, a simple uni to uni can get you fishing faster, so its important to know the knot cold.
My words to @Patrick exactly: (I like the mod uni):
Uni to uni

My buddy showed me a quick change line- to line rig this year, with no terminal tackle, and it’s hard to go back ( unless you have guests on the boat who can’t tie) . I say the whole necessity of a swivel is debatable after using the jaw dropper for almost a whole season.

Back
Top Bottom