Fishing Thread

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Did anyone hit opening day?

I haven't even purchased my license yet!

qclabrat

I was crabbing last week and a bunch of bunkers floating around, but didn't think much of it. Later a lady told us there was an unknown bacteria killing the fish. Was planning to go clamming tomorrow. Anyone know what's going on and whether it's safe to eat anything from the Jersey shore at the moment? Might just do some fly fishing instead at the gorge.

rick81721

Lothar
I was crabbing last week and a bunch of bunkers floating around, but didn't think much of it. Later a lady told us there was an unknown bacteria killing the fish. Was planning to go clamming tomorrow. Anyone know what's going on and whether it's safe to eat anything from the Jersey shore at the moment? Might just do some fly fishing instead at the gorge.

Nothing to worry about. Only affecting the bunker

https://www.jerseyshoreonline.com/monmouth-county/fish-kill-under-investigation-at-the-jersey-shore/#:~:text=MONMOUTH COUNTY – An “undetermined species,and Navesink and Shrewsbury rivers.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Walleye or something massive and brown were spawning in front of our yard today. Never seen the water churn like that...they were literally slamming against my dock and sea wall. I ran down there expecting to catch a bunch of monsters but they had other things on the brain. I could see them just beneath the surface swimming 3-4 strong and average 2-2.5’ long. Whatever they were they were fricking huge. What do these things like to eat!? I grew up fishing bass and that’s about it...

rick81721

Lothar
Walleye or something massive and brown were spawning in front of our yard today. Never seen the water churn like that...they were literally slamming against my dock and sea wall. I ran down there expecting to catch a bunch of monsters but they had other things on the brain. I could see them just beneath the surface swimming 3-4 strong and average 2-2.5’ long. Whatever they were they were fricking huge. What do these things like to eat!? I grew up fishing bass and that’s about it...

Where is this? Walleye are green(ish) - doubtful that's what you saw. Probably carp

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Where is this? Walleye are green(ish) - doubtful that's what you saw. Probably carp
Lake Hopatcong. We definitely have walleye but it could have been carp I guess. Hard to tell, the water is super murky from pollen right now. I’ve never seen carp that aggressive though. They usually just sort of lurk on the bottom. Whatever they were, they were massive and going nuts.

rick81721

Lothar
Lake Hopatcong. We definitely have walleye but it could have been carp I guess. Hard to tell, the water is super murky from pollen right now. I’ve never seen carp that aggressive though. They usually just sort of lurk on the bottom. Whatever they were, they were massive and going nuts.

Walleye spawn is March/April in nj - def not them

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok, so I have bass breaking the water left and right around my dock in the evening. But the weeds are coming in full effect. I literally can’t get anything through them. I usually have good luck with buzz baits but even that is snagging and I’m getting skunked. Aside from fly fishing, what could I put out there?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Ok, so I have bass breaking the water left and right around my dock in the evening. But the weeds are coming in full effect. I literally can’t get anything through them. I usually have good luck with buzz baits but even that is snagging and I’m getting skunked. Aside from fly fishing, what could I put out there?
Try a plastic frog with the hook set up weedless. I have great luck with these:

Stanley SRF-218 Original Ribbit Frog Fishing Lure, 5-Count, Bull Frog https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00554XZH...abc_CA56PR94JAPMX3S3B3Z4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

30lb test and a bait caster - rip them out through the air, rather than under water.
Weedless frog, or something that is alive - yucky mealworms.
oh, i forgot, you aren't tournament fishing. i lost more fish when fishing "fair"

It is catch and release right now (???) - you'll just keep losing your bait when they dive under and wrap around the pads.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
losing your bait when they dive under and wrap around the pads.
Not pads...just weeds. They do turn a 3lb fish into 10lbs tho. I can get worms through but they don’t seem to be feelin it. I see them breaking water in insects but without a fly rod I dunno how to throw that out there

w_b

Literally had all 3 of my crew hook up simultaneously yesterday. They deftly worked them to the boat as I grabbed the brand new net and scooped up all 3 in one fell swoop. 17.5” cookie cutters. Wouldn’ta believed it unless I netted em myself. Went back and repeated the drift , nada. Fish on!

511EFB37-1E10-4DEF-B580-136CD4E0F006.jpeg

rick81721

Lothar
Literally had all 3 of my crew hook up simultaneously yesterday. They deftly worked them to the boat as I grabbed the brand new net and scooped up all 3 in one fell swoop. 17.5” cookie cutters. Wouldn’ta believed it unless I netted em myself. Went back and repeated the drift , nada. Fish on!

View attachment 159020

Isn't it always the case that you catch flounder just under the keeper size??

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Isn't it always the case that you catch flounder just under the keeper size??
The last captain of the boat I went out on said he won’t fish for flounder - he said it’s too frustrating. After catching Ling, I’d rather go for that instead anyway.

rick81721

Lothar
The last captain of the boat I went out on said he won’t fish for flounder - he said it’s too frustrating. After catching Ling, I’d rather go for that instead anyway.

Yeah plus they are a PITA to fillet and I've never been a big fan of them as eating fish. Now halibut is a different story!

Top Bottom